Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » 2 ECU

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2 ECU
tonyjsan
Post 2 ECU
on: September 23, 2013 (GMT)

I recently purchased the Torque Pro app, first let me say awesome app !

I’m using the lower cost bluetooth adapter elm327 mini (small blue device)

The vehicle I’m using this on is a 2002 Dodge RAM 2500 pickup, with the cummings 5.9l engine with manual transmission, app is running on a HTC Thunderbolt.

Before purchased I tried the Torque lite and the gauges I’m interested all worked very well, RPM, Engine Coolant, Intake air temp, Intake Manifold Pressure, Boost (was off by 14.7 in lite app), Speed obd, Speed Diff gps vs obd, voltage at adapter.

With torque pro, Engine Coolant Temp, Boost, Intake air temp and Intake Manifold pressure don’t work. Meaning sometimes the data comes threw sometimes it does not, in most cases does not.

I have tried 2 other generic ODB lite reader programs in the play store, both read engine coolant temp, iat, map pressure fine. So I’m thinking my odb2 blue-tooth adapter is ok.

One thing I discovered, my truck appears to have multiple ecu’s, when I used one of the other odb lite reader programs, one of them detected 2 ecu’s and asked me which one to use, it said I have an ecu with address of D1 or 15, if I choose 15 everything works, if I choose D1 then same issue engine coolant etc no data.

So could it be that torque needs to be told to use the ecu with address 15 ? If so how does one do that in torque ?

At this point I’m not using custom PID’s just whatever comes with the Torque Pro app. I do have Torque scan installed and it shows the same thing “no data”.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Capp777
Post Re: 2 ECU

You might try adding one of your
mode 1 pids to the custom pids
and test to see the response(s).

If you know the correct header
for the ecu you will be able to add
it in the custom pid.

tonyjsan

Quote from Capp777 on September 23, 2013

You might try adding one of your
mode 1 pids to the custom pids
and test to see the response(s).

If you know the correct header
for the ecu you will be able to add
it in the custom pid.

Capp777

I do not know pid or header, does the torque app provide this being engine coolant etc, is build into the app ? Otherwise I’m assuming it’s internet search time, so far Dodge 2002 Diesel pids seem to be under tight lock and key.

Capp777

Mode 1 pids ie, engine coolant temp

Header: 686AF1
Mode/PID: 0105
Equation: A-40
Units: °C

can be found under standard pids in this
link…

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs#section_5

Edit:

Is your 2002 OBDII compliant? I thought I read somewhere
that diesels were not compliant until 2004+

tonyjsan

Thanks for the link.

Yep the 2002 is odb2, but within standard PIDS supports a small subset, not so sure on extended codes. In time I’d like to decipher them but getting information on the protocols, is ruff, unless one has lot’s money to spend on the publications.

From what I can tell the truck uses the ISO9141-2, I get how the pid is created mode/pid. How is the header created ? Then how does one specify a different ECU in the header ? In the sample header you provided what does each hex byte mean etc. or doc’s that explain it I can review.

I tried the engine temp 0105, with a blank header and I got data :). Going to try the other 01/xx pids in a bit.

Thanks

Capp777

This should help…

http://elmelectronics.com/DSheets/ELM327DS.pdf

(Pages 35-37)

Edit:

Did you test the pid to see if you
are getting multiple responses while
in the pid editor? The raw data should
id the responding ecu.

If my understanding of the header is
correct its like posting a letter …
xx yy F1 where xx is priority yy is the
ecu/functional address and F1 is the address of
the tester (scan tool/adapter).

Also, there is a “use alternate obdii
header” setting in the vehicle profile
you might want to try.

Have you tried running Torquescan
for the ecu info?

tonyjsan
on: September 24, 2013 (GMT)

I’ve tried the alternate odb header no luck.

The raw data a when adding a custom pid, scrolls by so fast, I can see at times there is 2 response or more but I can only see 1

On way home from work I tried torque to test the pids I added, torque connected and the built in pids (pids that come with torque) they worked as well as the custom one’s I added.

Again once I re-conected the build in pids stopped working and the custom kept working.

So for now any pid I’d like to monitor (for now mode 1), I have to add as custom and works all the time, the built in pids work every xth time torque connects.

Seems to me this should work better, just not sure what else to try.

Capp777
on: September 24, 2013 (GMT)

Hopefully Ian (Piemmm) can take your
info and look into it further for his
default displays.

Hopefully the solution will be something
simple like setting the correct ecu header
in the custom init string.

Were you able to decipher the header
bytes in the response you saw?

Edit:

There is a push button display that can
send an OBD command. Maybe its window
will show the multiple responses.

tonyjsan
on: September 25, 2013 (GMT)

I was able to figure the header bytes out, curious minds want to know lol.

So the plus I can get the basic data I’m looking for but I have to do any PID I want data on from ECU 15, as custom PID (custom PID seems to be using ecu 15 with functional addressing based on the returned header, and of course I figure header out correctly). I have to duplicate in most cases, for example torque has engine coolant temp (ect) 05, if I add a custom pid for 0105 I get ect data), data from ECU D1 (which is not much). Torque does fine.

Basically torque on my truck is unable to get data from ECU 15, now on the flip side every xth time when torque connects it is able to get data from ECU 15.

I’m not sure which PID’s are calculated from data and/or pulled from the android device, I was thinking that perhaps most of the ff12xx pids are. None of those work :(, have not tried them when torque is able to get data from ECU 15.

To summarize I get data from ECU D1 fine, any data from ECU 15 has to be custom pid (talking mode 1 standard pids nothing special) when torque connects and gets data from ECU 15 all works ok, meaning custom pids not needed, appears none of the calculated pids (ff12xx) work (perhaps missing data prevents
this ?)

My truck must speak a strange language, need C3PO lol :)

Capp777

Dont forget to try setting the header for
ecu address 15 in the custom init string
field. It may point Torque in the right
direction for its default displays. It is
found in the vehicle profile at the bottom.

If this works for you I hope you will post
your solution for other dodge owners that
read this thread.

ATSHxxyyF1?

Edit:

http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Custom_Init

tonyjsan

Thanks for the tips :), think it’s working

Success at this point, I’ve been able to get torque to connect several times in a row, and pull in data, including getting a good amount of the ff12xx pids.

I tried the physical addressing (6C15F1, not sure if I was using the correct priority or not, I took 68 turned on physical addressing bit and came up with 6C) it worked once but, custom pids seem to be confusing it so I delete all custom pids I added. Re-connect then same issue.

I used the header you provided earlier 686AF1, which I believe is functional addressing (again if I have header figure out correct). Using the functional group Legislated Diagnostics (6A I think), Finally it works 5 times in a row connected with no glitches. I will test and observer behavior as I drive to ensure it works ok.

The short I deleted all the custom pids I added, then in the vehicle profile added atsh686af1

Capp777

That’s great news… hope it continues
to work for you and maybe others!

darrollr
on: September 10, 2018 (GMT)

Quote from tonyjsan on September 25, 2013
Thanks for the tips :), think it’s working

Success at this point, I’ve been able to get torque to connect several times in a row, and pull in data, including getting a good amount of the ff12xx pids.

I tried the physical addressing (6C15F1, not sure if I was using the correct priority or not, I took 68 turned on physical addressing bit and came up with 6C) it worked once but, custom pids seem to be confusing it so I delete all custom pids I added. Re-connect then same issue.

I used the header you provided earlier 686AF1, which I believe is functional addressing (again if I have header figure out correct). Using the functional group Legislated Diagnostics (6A I think), Finally it works 5 times in a row connected with no glitches. I will test and observer behavior as I drive to ensure it works ok.

The short I deleted all the custom pids I added, then in the vehicle profile added atsh686af1

Did this work as a complete fix for you? I am still trying to figure it out. I have a 2007 5.9 Cummins.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.047 seconds.

Follow me on twitter