Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Help needed: seeking bulletproof Ford truck / J1850PWM implementation

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help needed: seeking bulletproof Ford truck / J1850PWM implementation
gearheadstu
Post Help needed: seeking bulletproof Ford truck / J1850PWM implementation
on: July 29, 2013 (GMT)

Vehicle 1: 2001 Ford Ranger 3.0l, full OBD2 compliance
Vehicle 2: 2012 Mazda 5, full OBD2 compliance
The Android: Nexus 7
The Adapter: cheap ebay ELM327
The Build: Torque Pro 1.6.62

Ok, ok, I get it. I knew going in that the knockoff ELM327 was problematic.

In the Mazda, this setup works brilliantly and does everything that I’ve asked it to thus far.

In the Ford, its an utter failure. Torque can connect to the adapter, but not the ECU.

When I first got the adapter, there was a blown-fuse issue that cut power to the OBD2 plug entirely. I’ve since resolved that, and all signs point to the vehicle side of the OBD2 interface working correctly.

Quandry #1: How can I prove that the adapter is not correctly communicating with the Ford’s ECU? I assume that this is a matter of pulling connection/protocol logs, but I’ve not yet learned how to do so.

I basically accept that purchase of a new adapter will be necessary. That’s ok by me, as I can just keep the current knockoff permanently in the Mazda where it works so well. For the Ford, I desperately want Torque to work properly, but I don’t want to throw good money after bad, spending time/money trying different and possibly unproven adapters. That leads me to …

Quandry #2: Are there any documented, proven successful installs on a Ford truck? I’m not overly keen on stepping up to the Kiwi PLX units, as they seem to have a spotty record with Ford trucks. Nor am I keen to go with one of the 0~0 units for simple reasons of cost. Has anyone had success using the Scantool.net OBDLink cable in a Ford J1850PWM installation? While the idea of a Bluetooth adapter is nice, I’d gladly sacrifice some form-factor and convenience for a rock-solid stable adapter link; that it is nearly 0 is just icing on the cake.

Thanks!

gearheadstu
Post Re: Help needed: seeking bulletproof Ford truck / J1850PWM implementation

Ahh, the joys of PHP-based forums :)

In the main post, what started as currency units got interpolated out as variables, apparently. What I meant to write was:

Nor am I keen to go with one of the 150 to 200 dollar units

Capp777

I have purchased (4) BAFX BT Adapters from Amazon (BAFX Products)
which have worked successfully on Fords (2004 Crown Vic and
2000 Focus which use J1850PWM) so far.

Related thread which may help with your adapter…

http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=1710.0

Edit:

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-PIC18F2480-diagnostics-compatible/dp/B005NLQAHS

Edit:

http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=5250.0

gearheadstu
on: July 30, 2013 (GMT)

Thanks, will try the BAFX!

gearheadstu
on: August 2, 2013 (GMT)

Capp777– Thanks so much for the recommendation on the BAFX. Plugged it in last night and it works perfectly!

Coosawjack
on: August 14, 2015 (GMT)

Quote from gearheadstu on July 30, 2013
Thanks, will try the BAFX!

I have a 2004 Mercury Marauder with an SCT custom “Blower TUne” and wonder if this BAFX device will communicate with mt ECU??

I have tried 2 of the cheap ones and they would not!!

Sorry for resurrecting and OLD thread but hopefully you will have answers for me??

Thanks!!

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.022 seconds.

Follow me on twitter