Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Nissan Leaf PIDS

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nissan Leaf PIDS
luisqcosta
Post Custom PIDS
on: April 25, 2013 (GMT)

Hi guys,

I am having some trouble getting some custom pids working on a friends leaf. The CAR-CAN High is pin 6, and Low is 14 and it has 500k baud rate and 11-bit Message IDs.

At this point we know the following:

Battery voltage and current

These are calculated as follows:
1. the message ”0x1db” is read from the bus
2. the two first bytes of the message contain the current as signed
value:
I = (byte0 * 256 + byte1)/64
if I < ?512 : {I = I + 1024} 3. the second two bytes of the message contain the voltage as unsigned value: V = (byte2 * 256 + byte3)/128 Battery state of charge This is calculated as follows: 1. the message ”0x5bc” is read from the bus 2. the two first bytes of the message contain the state of charge as an integer value, counted to a maximum of 281 in an unit called ”gids” 3. this figure is divided by 281 to obtain a percentage value: GID = (byte0 * 256 + byte1)/64 SoC = GID/281 *100 We already modded the obd adaptor to in order to switch the CAN+ and CAN- to the leaf EV-CAN (different pins from standard). Is it possible to create custom pids in Torque based on this info? Any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers!

luisqcosta
Post Re: Nissan Leaf PIDS
on: April 28, 2013 (GMT)

Nobody? no insight? :(

piemmm
Administrator
on: April 28, 2013 (GMT)

Hi!

You need a request->response format message (Commonly known as a mode 21 or mode 22 PID request) – this is what is required for use with Torque.

Currently monitor only mode will need a third party plugin to operate (as torque does not do this by default, as it is not standard)

luisqcosta
on: April 29, 2013 (GMT)

Thank you for the reply!

Does anyone know about any plugin that enables the request>answer message type?

Cheers!

frodus
on: April 29, 2013 (GMT)

Ian is saying you need to know more about those messages.

You need to know what the OBD request is. You indicate what the response is, but what is sent to the vehicle to get that response?

something like 22 01 00, where 22 is the mode and 01 00 is the PID request.

If it’s PURE CANBUS, then it won’t work with torque. Torque is OBD-II only and must connect to an OBD compliant CAN line.

luisqcosta
on: April 30, 2013 (GMT)

Hmm I now understand frodus :) Thank you very much!

The thing is , i have a lot of information regarding the Nissan leaf but not very practical ways to handle it. I love Torque and the way it enables an amazing display of information, versatility and reliability.

I have the requests i need and i also know the format of the expected answers. It would be something along these lines:

(From the my nissanleaf forums)

/////////
In order to read a group of data, first send the initial request command on ID 0x79b:
0x02 0x21 group 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xff (those last 5 bytes can be 0xff or 0x00, doesn’t seem to matter, and yeah I tried group 0 and 6.. didn’t see anything)

For example to request pack temperatures you’d start with
0x79b: 0x02 0x21 0x04 0 0 0 0 0

Which returns something like:
0x7bb: 0x10 0x10 0x61 0x04 0x01 0xfb 0x15 0x01

The first byte is an index (incremented on subsequent lines), the 2nd byte is a sort of group size, the 3rd byte is 0x61 (responding to the 0x21) and the 4th byte is the group number. The actual data starts on the 5th byte.
In this example the first temperature is a 3 byte value (16bit raw A/D and 8bit temp) 0x01fb 0x15 meaning 21 degrees C with the raw 10 bit A/D NTC thermistor value 0x1fb or 507 decimal. The start of the 2nd temperature is the last byte of the message.
//////////////////

This is of course only available when you read the EV-Can and not the traditional one (conventional can+ and can-, for this, i moded the elm adaptor :)

frodus
on: April 30, 2013 (GMT)

Yeah, that sounds like pure CAN…. and doesn’t seem to talk OBD at all….not sure Torque could work for you. OBD is a layer on top of CAN that handles data differently. There’s still command/response, but there are MODES and PID’s.

Have others gotten it to work?

luisqcosta
on: May 2, 2013 (GMT)

Unfortunately, not many nissan leafs are on the roads and then, we would need a significant population of enthusiasts like us to try to make it work with Torque :)

I found only one mention in the MyNissanLeaf forums
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5442

I will not give up 😀

I already have collected a significant amount of data, sourcing it from other forums and boards. Here is a copy of what i have!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlM8XZLzL3IidExwaW1XSE54WjFTNFBaS0VvamVJSGc&usp=sharing

Cheers!

0x00
on: November 30, 2017 (GMT)

hi, did anyone ever use torque pro with the nissan leaf? i know there is leafspy, but i like the featurees of torque pro. are there any PIDs one can use?

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.032 seconds.

Follow me on twitter