Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Do you guys leave your ODB2 Bluetooth plugged in?

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do you guys leave your ODB2 Bluetooth plugged in?
stang08
Post Do you guys leave your ODB2 Bluetooth plugged in?
on: October 25, 2012 (GMT)

Just got mine today and loving it! I need a way to mount my galaxy nexus though. But as far as leaving it plugged in, is that okay? What do you guys do? I have a 08 mustang gt if that matters at all. I didn’t know there was a forum for this app so good to see!

maximus
Post Re: Do you guys leave your ODB2 Bluetooth plugged in?
on: October 28, 2012 (GMT)

leaved my elm327 bluetooth in saab 9-5 connected for about 1.5 day.
today found empty battery :(

MD1032
on: October 28, 2012 (GMT)

I have the Chinese “super mini” ELM 327. I put mine in about a month ago and haven’t taken it out since. No issues.

spudh
on: October 29, 2012 (GMT)

If I leave mine plugged into our 04 Prius, it throws up all sorts of faults when you go to restart it.

Plug it in while the car is running, no problem, you just have to make sure its not linked to the Toque app when you start the car.

wego4x4
on: October 30, 2012 (GMT)

My cheap one has been plugged in for about a year now. No issues.

docromano

Quote from wego4x4 on October 30, 2012
My cheap one has been plugged in for about a year now. No issues.
Same here.

2006 Audi A6 2.7 TDI , VCDS available.

HawkeyeC25

My cheap e-bay one has been in for months with no issues as well.

There are only 10 types of people in the world… those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

Neckhole

I have owned both an inexpensive eBay ELM327 adapter and the pricier PLX Kiwi BT adapter.

I had some battery problems while using the ELM327, but I never really was able to prove (or disprove) that it was the source of my problems. And, before I replaced the battery or tried to troubleshoot any further I wound up buying both a “new” car and a PLX Kiwi BT Adapter on a friend’s suggestion.

I haven’t had any battery issues since the new car & PLX Kiwi BT adapter, for whatever that is worth.

Juandachu
on: October 31, 2012 (GMT)

Quote from maximus on October 28, 2012
leaved my elm327 bluetooth in saab 9-5 connected for about 1.5 day.
today found empty battery :(

Same has happened to me as well in my Miata. I’m gonna get a multimeter and check if any of the 16 pins are connected to ignition and I’ll rewire it in a OBD2 extension cord I bought.

If there isn’t any ignition lead nearby I’ll just place a switch on it somewhere.

piemmm
Administrator
on: October 31, 2012 (GMT)

Some people have wired a switch into the adapter to manually turn it off/on without unplugging it – others have wired the +ve pin to switched ignition instead so they can leave the adapters in all the time

The adapter is the cause of the drain, but they’re not all the same like this (clones vary in the amount of current usage when not being used)

Things like the Scantool.net adapters support a powersave mode which puts the adapter to sleep when you’re not using it (be sure to enable the ‘enable powersave’ mode in Torque’s settings for this), which extends the ‘off’ time to a couple of weeks easily with their adapters.

For a daily runner, you shouldn’t have to worry too much unless your battery is already on the way out (or the clone adapter is consuming an excessive amount of power).

If you have a clone adapter, changing it to run from the switched ignition is a good idea – also, it makes things more secure as well (as the clones have little to no security and rely on the ECU going to sleep)

The Scantool OBDLink MX adapter (again) does have better security – a push-to-pair button which means you have to be physically present before you can pair to the device.

michi098
on: November 7, 2012 (GMT)

Are there any wiring diagrams, as to which pin is constant power and which is ignition power? I wouldn’t mind messing with my BAFX scan tool so that I can leave it plugged in. I guess I could try to solder in a on/off switch if I figure out where the power is.

frodus
on: November 7, 2012 (GMT)

Pin 16 is the +12V source for the OBD-II tools/dongles.

michi098
on: November 8, 2012 (GMT)

Thanks for that diagram! Now, I don’t see two powered pins, just #16, am I missing something?

Otherwise, I suppose I would just solder a switch between pin #16 and the BAFX board, correct?

frodus
on: November 8, 2012 (GMT)

There’s only one power pin, pin 16, on the connector.

Put a switch inline with the wire that goes to pin 6, or internally to your OBD dongle.

michi098
on: November 9, 2012 (GMT)

Sorry, now I’m a little confused. If I open my adapter, shouldn’t I just put the switch in between pin 16 and wherever that cable leads to there from the board? Is that what would cut the power? Thanks, sorry to be a pain…

Monty_

I added an inline power switch and leave the adapter plugged in. The actual current consumption of the adapter can’t be more than a few tens of milliamps so it’s unlikely to drain the battery even over days, but a switch makes sure it won’t.

There’s a picture of it around the middle of this thread:
http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=1710.0

frodus

Quote from michi098 on November 9, 2012
Sorry, now I’m a little confused. If I open my adapter, shouldn’t I just put the switch in between pin 16 and wherever that cable leads to there from the board? Is that what would cut the power? Thanks, sorry to be a pain…

Yes, you can either cut the power going to the board from pin 16 inside your adapter and install a switch

or

you can cut the power going to pin 16 on the vehicle side, near your OBD-2 port.

Whichever you choose, but these adapters don’t take much power, so leaving them on is not likely to drain a battery noticably…. there are many more things inside the car that will drain a battery faster.

michi098
on: November 10, 2012 (GMT)

Thanks for your reply. I think I will try it on the adapter first, I think I would rather mess a item up than my car. I’ll see how it goes.

You are probably right with the actual power consumption, but I do leave my car sitting for a few days at a time on occasion, so I would just feel better knowing this adapter isn’t constantly on.

Thanks for all your help!

michi098
on: November 13, 2012 (GMT)

I managed to install the switch. Works like a charm. Thanks for your help!

aiiee
on: February 25, 2013 (GMT)

Quote from stang08 on October 25, 2012
Just got mine today and loving it! I need a way to mount my galaxy nexus though. But as far as leaving it plugged in, is that okay? What do you guys do? I have a 08 mustang gt if that matters at all. I didn’t know there was a forum for this app so good to see!

If you can find one, and that’s a big if, the Samsung Car Dock is awesome. Nexus enters Car Mode as soon as it is placed in the dock and the dock uses the pogo pins to power the phone. Try ebay that’s where I found mine.

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.504 seconds.

Follow me on twitter