Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Knock Detector Plugin

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Knock Detector Plugin
KnockDetector
Post Knock Detector Plugin
on: September 26, 2012 (GMT)

Hi everyone and congratulations for Ian and the best Torque app, its users and plugin developers !

Let me introduce the Knock Detector plugin:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nosoftskills.kd

Using Knock Detector you can check your gas engine for detonations and find issues with engine or gas. You just drive a safe period of time at WOT on 3-rd gear from low revs.

In order to keep car manufacturer independent it uses heuristic algorithm based on analysis of timing advance, throttle(detect WOT position), revs and speed. That’s why on some specific factory maps it might have issues and report fake detonations.

I’ve made many tests on different cars and compared results with car specidic logging software and it works fine. My initial motivation was that I needed an easy way to monitor my heavily tuned Subaru Forester STI.

Just make sure that road conditions are safe for test. Any feedback will be appreciated !

Thanks in advance !
Pafka

naypier
Post Re: Knock Detector Plugin
on: October 1, 2012 (GMT)

Dude ! It’s awesome ! I found it on google play and searched for more info. I tried it on my Toyota Avensis 2005, no detonations. I’ll try it again tomorrow on RAV4 !

Cheers,
XCX

KnockDetector
on: October 3, 2012 (GMT)

Hi, XCX,

What engine is the Avensis, I’m tracking the tested models. Talking about EU models I’ll be very glad if someone tries it with Renault Megan 2.0 to compare results with 1.6 factory tune.

Thanks !

jonny
on: October 5, 2012 (GMT)

Hello.
Thanks for plugin!

Can I take the results as accurate?
I drive a subaru ez30r and the engine is supposed to like to knock.
And as I tested it with your plugin, it seems knockfree…

2006 subaru legacy ez30r

KnockDetector

Hi jonny,

Thanks for trying the plugin !

I wrote this plugin to ensure my Subaru STI engine with a lot of mods works fine in real road conditions. So I have validated all results with Romraider logs monitoring all types of CPU knocks – IAM, fine learning and feedback knocks.

So Knock Detector will detect any detonation without minor ones where dynamic advance is pulled with only 0.35 You can have a look in my nasioc topic where this is discussed:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2412384

There is also possibility to miss low rpm detonations, because of the adapting part of the algorithm but they are not so dangerous.

I guess your engine is running fine. I have a friend with such H6 here in Bulgaria strongly supercharged with stock block and running 30 000 km on WOT without problems 😉

Greetings,
Pafka

jonny

Ok, thank you very much!

That, I don’t have broken throttle, is really relief for me :)

Why is it optimal to test it at third gear?
Wouldn’t be better to use 4-5 gear? There should be more load on engine, so the detonations are more likely to occur. Am I right? But of course you will be ending at 200+kmh and that is not good…

2006 subaru legacy ez30r

KnockDetector
on: October 6, 2012 (GMT)

You are welcome !

Yes, you are right ! The main reason is safety. Nevertheless on 3-rd gear most of the cars have the most effective engine work – that’s why max power on dynos is scored on 3-rd( or 4-th if the gearings are too short as STI’s 6 speed tranny). Also on 3-rd gear there is enough load and typically max boost on turbocharged vehicles. But again – safety first :)

Cheers,
Pafka

subarub4

Hmm I can’t remember what gear I was in.. I have a 97 Outback.. I might test again.

KnockDetector

Nice ! Just make sure you try from around 2000 rpms to the highest safe rpms or just before gear change for automatic ones. Good coolant temperature also, keep it below 210.

I’m glad to see OBD2 support on 97 vehicle ! In Europe they support it from 2002 for Outbacks.

Thanks,
Pafka

subarub4
on: October 7, 2012 (GMT)

Yeah I did the test again I think around 30 MPH shifted into 3rd and floored it still no detonations :)

Great Plugin I hope you do some more!

KnockDetector
on: October 7, 2012 (GMT)

Thanks mate !

I should add one major feature and improve the detonations reporting part, then why not a new plugin :)

Cheers,
Pafka

RpMz
on: October 11, 2012 (GMT)

Hi very good application!! Well done!

Any feature for real time cf (correction timing) view and which cylinder?

I have a Seat Ibiza fr 2004 petrol (1.8T)!

John

KnockDetector
on: October 11, 2012 (GMT)

Hi John, thank you !

I’ve looked into these engine params(including VAG logs) and they appear to be very specific. I keep an eye on newer canbus stuff and Torque support so It might be possible at some moment to test/verify/improve ECU stock or tuned maps for better and healthier performance :)

Cheers,
Pafka

RpMz
on: October 12, 2012 (GMT)

Quote from KnockDetector on October 11, 2012
Hi John, thank you !

I’ve looked into these engine params(including VAG logs) and they appear to be very specific. I keep an eye on newer canbus stuff and Torque support so It might be possible at some moment to test/verify/improve ECU stock or tuned maps for better and healthier performance :)

Cheers,
Pafka

Very Nice!!!

I will wait for test!!

Cheers,
John

TownDrunk
on: March 11, 2016 (GMT)

I’m in the US and this app isn’t available.

jamoka3
on: March 22, 2016 (GMT)

Finally was able to download from google play last night!

Anyone know the testing procedure for a 8 speed automatic?

(2014 BMW 328I x drive, w/8 speed sportmatic transmission …)

RonaldLCraft
on: July 4, 2017 (GMT)

How may I obtain this plugin in the U.S.A.

rh03
on: April 28, 2019 (GMT)

hello, this plugin is no longer supported ? I can’t find it in playstore

cars, cars and cars !!!

doodedge
on: May 1, 2019 (GMT)

I was able to find an old ROM of it, as far as I can tell I don’t think it works.

Reno, NV
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG

DJ
on: May 2, 2019 (GMT)

I downloaded it via an old rom I found. I dont actually think it works anyways.

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.057 seconds.

Follow me on twitter