Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Knock retard on GM

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Knock retard on GM
danthurs
Post Knock retard on GM
on: December 15, 2010 (GMT)

I know the pid is available, but I can find no reference to if it actually works. Can anyone tell me for sure if KR works on GM engines? I bought the app and a kiwi adapter, so the app is working. But right now it’s below zero temps and the roads are more glacier then road. Got several friends that are interested in getting this app, but they want KR to work. Thanks, really like the app.

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Knock retard on GM
on: December 16, 2010 (GMT)

Hi

There’s no easy way to test other than add the extended PIDs in the settings and see if you get a reading displayed – if it does work, even if station then you *should* get reading on the digital display, and if not, the reading should stay at ‘-‘ (and the flashy light thing next to the display title shouldn’t flash)

I can’t give a definitive answer as the extended PID information for each manufacturers ECU isn’t readily available – if it was, and I had access to all the info from each manufacturer, then there would be a lot more support in Torque for all kinds of cool ideas.

Ian

danthurs
on: December 19, 2010 (GMT)

OK, thanks. I’m going to try playing with it. There’s been a lot of talk in the GM 3800 clubs about the app, people are lining up but want to know if KR works. I plan to hook up my laptop and run HPtuners VCM scanner and then tap near the sensor. It should show knock. Once I do that I’ll hook up your app and do the same. If knock shows up I think there will be a lot of people jumping on this instead of a 0 aerforce scan gauge. It’s a great app, keep up the good work.

piemmm
Administrator

If you find out the PIDs, you can enter them in the extended PID support section (Settings->Extended/advanced PID editor->Menu button->Add)

Also there are already some GM PIDs as a predefined list in there (but you have to manually add them if you want to use them (via the same menus))

Regards

Ian

danthurs

Not sure if this helps any, but HPtuners VCM scanner has knock retard listed as [PID.2630] Is there a way to manually input custom PIDs? Guess I should look. If not, that might be a nice addition. Something tells me it’s there though.

glendayle
on: August 14, 2011 (GMT)

Did anyone figure this out? This is basically the one thing I want to be able to scan. I’ve got DHP for my scanning/logging/PCM editing, but I’d like to be able to use this just for when I’m driving around. I’ve got a Buick Regal GS and am pretty active on a couple of the 3800 forums.

thejushinator
on: November 15, 2012 (GMT)

Any update on this, I also own a regal GS and I am trying to get KR to work…

GTPzero
on: November 20, 2012 (GMT)

It is working. Ive been using it no problem for over a year. And I’ve compared it to the GM scantool, Torque shows KR in higher resoulution even. It also comes up fine for all OBD2 GMC/Chevy V8s and almost every GM car I’ve tried (currently to 2012MY.)

88gtu
on: November 21, 2012 (GMT)

That’s great to hear the known GM KR extended PID works out of what Ian has provided. I would agree it works for most, I’ve tested it and found it works on most non-force induction GM engines, and some newer CANBUS GM ECMs (LNF, etc). It does not, however, work on the LSJ (Supercharged ecotec 4cyl 2005-2007). I’m hoping to do some further testing on finding the appropriate PID, as for the default IAT2 sensor did not work either (until I found it in the extended area – 222006).

I suppose that’s my two cents. I’ll report back with results this holiday weekend.

Thanks,

Matt

traviz06
on: March 30, 2015 (GMT)

I just bought this app and knock count and knock retard timing is not working at all. I have an ’02 corvette (LS6)
anyone ever get it to work?

Tweetybird
on: January 12, 2018 (GMT)

I have a Saturn Sky Redline (LN7) The GM PID list shows 3 PIDs with different values and formulas which is correct for the LN7. How much spark retard is normal, I do not want to have problems.

GM retiree have a yellow Saturn Sky Redline called Tweetybird

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.099 seconds.

Follow me on twitter