Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Transmission Temp Issue

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Transmission Temp Issue
Drex
Post Transmission Temp Issue
on: July 10, 2012 (GMT)

Loving the full version of the app, so much information.

I have noticed one problem with the tranny temp though. Vehicle is a 06 buick lucerne cxs (4.6L northstar with 4T80-E tranny). Using the gm method 1 temp only ever shows 32F, and gm method 2 almost always shows 32F. The only time it shows different is sometimes when I swipe to the page that has the tranny temp display it will jump up to what seems like the actual temp, but only for a split second, then the real time value falls back to 32F (leaving the max mark at the real value).

I can swipe to a different page, and come back and sometimes it will do this and sometimes it just stays at 32F.

Note the gm method 1 never moves from 32F no matter what.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Transmission Temp Issue
on: July 10, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

There should be an ‘Other’ method listed in the ‘Add predefined PIDs’ list. If you could try that one (this is then known as ‘Method 3’). If it works please let me know as it’s invaluable to know

Unfortunately for Buick (Is that Renault?) I don’t have a formal list of extended PIDs for that vehicle, so if Method 3 doesn’t work you may have to ask on some Buick/Renault specific forums to see if anyone knows the PID information

Drex
on: July 11, 2012 (GMT)

Thanks for the reply, I’ve added the method 3 and will test it tonight when I get done with work.

I don’t think Buick is connected to Renault at all. A few years ago GM and Renault were trying to reach an agreement but that fell through.

The Buick Lucerne CXS is using the 4.6L northstar engine that Cadillac developed. It’s actually built on the same assembly line as the Cadillac DTS. Not sure if that helps at all but it might. Either way I’ll let you know after I test method 3 tonight.

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 12, 2012 (GMT)

Oh, hm, if it’s a ‘gm’ car then I would expect the GM pids to work ( I only thought renault-buick as I drove one when I was in the US last, apologies for the assumption :-))

The GM PIDs will be listed as:

Transmission Fluid Temp (GM Method 1)
and
Transmission Fluid Temp (GM Method 2)

and not

Transmission Temperature(Method 1)
Transmission Temperature(Method 2)
(these are the generic PIDs for some non General Motors based vehicles)

But I’m guessing you’ve already tried those? :-/

Drex
on: July 12, 2012 (GMT)

It probably doesn’t help that it’s not a particularly common engine and transmission.

I’ve tried all the transmission temp PIDs

*Transmission Fluid Temp (GM Method 1)-Only ever shows 32F

*Transmission Fluid Temp (GM Method 2)-Nearly always 32F, sporadically shows possible actual temp momentarily but then goes back to 32F

*Transmission Temperature(Method 1)-nothing

*Transmission Temperature(Method 2)-nothing

*Transmission Temperature(Method 3)-seems like it going to work then realized it was always showing the same temperature as the coolant temp, and only updates the temp display when the coolant temp display updated.

Other thoughts?

Drex
on: July 16, 2012 (GMT)

Would it be helpful if I would download torque scan and run that to see if we could use that to find the correct transmission temp PID?

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 17, 2012 (GMT)

Hi!

Quick question – with the:

“*Transmission Fluid Temp (GM Method 2)”

display, that sporadically works, – does it work when the vehicle is in-gear?

(Some GM vehicles can only read the transmission temperature when the vehicle isn’t in neutral – I’ve just had a thought that this might be the case with your vehicle as it’s something strange that GM decided to do with the way the transmission works)

Drex
on: July 18, 2012 (GMT)

Yes I have tried when in park, neutral, and in gear (moving and stopped). The only time i’ve seen the sporadic readings is while the vehicle is in gear and moving.

I wish it was that simple of solution :)

anything else you’d like me to test, I have no problem helping trouble shoot this, but I won’t actually be able to do anything until sunday or so since I am in France for work this week.

roadney
on: September 26, 2012 (GMT)

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 3.5l. The GM 1 and 2 do not display anything put the method 3 displays the same temp as the coolant. How can I get the transmission temp to read?

alain93
on: March 17, 2013 (GMT)

Same as Roadney.
Method 3 same temp as coolant on the Saab

Drex
on: June 24, 2013 (GMT)

Has anyone had any luck with this? As of June 2013 the gm method 1 and 2 still only read at 32F, and the “other” method 3 still reads the coolant temp.

Capp777
on: June 24, 2013 (GMT)

I saw on a rv forum that some gms were
using:

Header: 7E0
Mode/PID: 221940

Have you tried that combination?

Drex
on: July 23, 2013 (GMT)

Well I haven’t had a chance to test the “7E0 221940” PID yet, but I did try removing all of the extended PID’s and re-adding them and there was no change, still no transmission temp reading.

I also tried running torque-scan this weekend while driving from Minnesota to Missouri and both the regular and full scan’s lock up after 5-10 mins, tried it half a dozen times and the scan would always freeze.

The LMM Kid
on: November 17, 2013 (GMT)

Just wondering if any one had any luck I have an 08 GMC Sierra 2500hd and seem to be having the sane issue.

2008 GMC LMM ECLB
Mods-K&N Intake/5″ Magnaflow DPF Back/ EFI Live/FASS Platinum 150/ 2 1/2″ Keys/Custom Traction Bars/Trans Go Jr./PCV Reroute…and more to come

ELM327 Mini/Erisin 7835 Android based head unit

bassbase
on: November 17, 2013 (GMT)

I have an ’09 Chevy HHR with the 2.4L and am having the same GM Method2 32 degree F reading.

blackrosetiger
on: October 12, 2014 (GMT)

Anyone find a solution to this? I have an 08 Impala 3.5 and my trans temp does the same thing

tkobb421
on: October 14, 2014 (GMT)

I haven’t used my Torque app in quite a while, but in the past I have been able to get the Transmission Temp to display correctly and update in realtime on my 04 GMC Yukon. I just re-installed the app on my new phone (same phone, just a replacement) and now all my displays work except the Transmission Temp. It will give me an instant read temp when I add the display, but then it will not update and the small green light that normally blinks within the display to show that it is communicating does not blink. If I go to add the display again it will again update the temp, but it won’t keep updating.

Any thoughts?

Have used both GM Method 1 and 2…..

Dmax4589
on: October 16, 2014 (GMT)

GM Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax diesel w/allison transmission. I also cannot see transmission fluid temps using TorquePro. Both method 1 & 2 are green but readout stays locked on -38.3F. Any help would be great as this is one of the main reasons getting Torque. However I was able to get injector balance rates to work!

Outlaw Dave
on: October 16, 2014 (GMT)

Same issue here, just loaded everything and used the extend PID for a 2007 Dodge 2500 Cummins and trans temp says at -40F

Ill try and run a full scan today at lunch and see what else I can find.

Should I be able to see injector balance rates on a Cummins ?

ddr1958
on: May 24, 2016 (GMT)

That is strange as I have a Chevy 6.0 express van and the transmission reads normally on GM2

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.088 seconds.

Follow me on twitter