Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Custom PID codes

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Custom PID codes
Judgeless
Post Custom PID codes
on: December 6, 2010 (GMT)

Yesterday I received A PLX OBDII device and purchased the Torque software. It is a great tool and would like to add some special PID’s for my 2010 Prius. I have a list of all the PID’s for the 2010 Prius that are meant for Scanguage Xgauge. I will figure out how to convert them.

The first thing I tried was using an existing PID to make sure I was doing everything right. I choose the Engine coolant temperature. This is what I used.

PID – 01 05
Long name – Engine Temp new
Short name – new
Min – -40
Max – 215
Scale factor – x1
Unit – ‘C
Equation – A-40

I put two display icons and two graphs on the unit. One for the built in Engine coolant temp and one for the PID I just added. The Torque tool converted C to F for me. The new PID I added jumps back and forth from the real number to 53.6. The built in PID is rock solid. Here is a pic.

Why does this happen. How can I fix it? I will share are my 2010 Prius PID’s when I get this resolved and enter them.

Judgeless
Post Re: Custom PID codes
on: December 9, 2010 (GMT)

Anyone have any input? I really want to get this to work. Is there a setting I am missing?

Road_Wx

I imputed the same info you added. Initially I wasn’t able to get it to convert out of degree C but then I used the math keyboard found free on the market and then it converted using the program. Was there anything else you did to the input because when I inputed the custom PID it stayed perfectly stable when I tested it on a 2002 GMC Envoy.

Sorry I don’t have easy access to a 2010 Prius to test it on. I’ll try on another few vehicles tonight to see if I can reproduce the problem. What phone are you using?

Below is what I used to input it into torque verbatim.

PID – 0105
Long name – Engine Temp test
Short name – t new
Min – -40
Max – 215
Scale factor – x1
Unit – oC (using the superscript degree symbol found using math keyboard)
Equation – A-40

Best Regards,

Road_Wx

Judgeless

Road_Wx,

Thanks for the response. Here is what I did after your post. I deleted my custom PID and entered a new one. I entered the info exactly like you entered it.

PID – 0105
Long name – Engine Temp test
Short name – t new
Min – -40
Max – 215
Scale factor – x1
Unit – oC (using the superscript degree symbol found using math keyboard)
Equation – A-40

I also deleted anything on any of the diplays that use the same PID. I thought their might be a conflict.

Nothing helped. It jumps between 53.6 and the real current temp. I will try it on other cars.

My phone is a Dell Streak running Android 2.1.1 OS.

Judgeless

I just did another one and the same thing happens.

PID – 010C
Long name – RPM new
Short name – RPM new
Min – 0
Max – 8000
Scale factor – x1
Unit – RPM
Equation – ((A*256)+B)/100

It jumps between the real number (174.1) and (52.6). It does not make sense.

Road_Wx
on: December 10, 2010 (GMT)

I was able to reproduce this issue using a CAN protocol on a 2005 Mercury Montego. The GMC was SAE J1850 VPW. My guess is the 2010 prius is using a CAN protocol.

Judgeless
on: December 10, 2010 (GMT)

Thanks for checking. Any ideas on how to get it to work?

The built in PID’s work. There has to be a way to get these to work.

With the Scan Gauge II they give codes to read PID’s. Here is an example for the 2010 Prius.
PID – 00BC
Long name – Miles per Hour
Short Name – MPH
RXF – 010042B40000

First, for simplicity’s sake, lets separate them into 3 groups of 2 characters.
01 00 – 82 3B – 00 00
First lets take a look at the first two characters of group 1: “01”
The 1st character means something special: If it is equal to a 0, do nothing. If it is equal to an 8, then it is a scangauge trip gauge.

Since we’re not making a trip gauge, we’re going to leave it at 0.
Lets look at the 2nd character of group 1: “1”
This second character indicates to the scangauge where to look to match the other two characters with.
This means that byte “1” MUST equal “00” in order to be processed further. If it doesn’t, the message is discarded.

The same concept applies to the other groups. EXCEPT the first character in the second group. If it equals an “8”, it means that the FINAL value (after MTH is done) has a space after the decimal (for example, X.X). If it equals “4”, it means that the FINAL value (after MTH is done) has two spaces after the decimal (for example, X.XX). If it equals “2” the final value is either “ON” or “OFF” depending on if the FINAL value is equal to a “1” or a “0”.
Thus, byte “2” MUST equal “3B” in order to be processed further. If it doesn’t, the message is discarded.

The first character in the 3rd group also means something special: if the value is 8, the final value is supposedly in hex (Have not gotten it to work yet).
The filter seems to do nothing if the 2nd to 4th characters are “0”

RXD – 380C
RxD tells the scangauge WHERE in the message our data is.
Separate the RXD into 2 groups of 2 characters.
14 0C
The first group tells where the data starts. 00 is the first bit in the string, 08 is the first bit in the second byte, 10 is the first bit in the third byte. In this case, we want the 20th bit onwards.

The second group is how LONG the values are. In this case, it is 12 bits long (C in hex).

MTH – 252603DA0000
Lets seperate this into 3 groups of 4 HEX characters.
0001 000A 0000
The first group means how much to multiply the value by.
The second group means how much to divide the value by.
the third group means how much to add/subtract the value by (this is a signed field)

So in this case, we’re multiplying by 1, dividing by 10 (A in hex = 10 in decimal), and then adding 0 to get the final amp value.

Then call the gauge something. AMP works good.

Observations with AMP values: (these numbers are off the top of my head at the moment and may be off)
You’ll now notice that the prius supposedly takes ~.9 amps when sitting idle, slow acceleration in EV mode takes about 22+ amps, and stealth glide takes about 5+ amps to maintain, warpstealth takes about 15+ amps to maintain.
Other observations: You barely regenerate anything at 7mph, so best to shift into neutral and use friction brakes here to avoid use of creeping, which takes about 2-3 amps. Neutral = .9 amps, brakes brings it up to 1.3 amps. Headlights in neutral brings it up to about ~1.9 amps total.

Road_Wx
on: December 13, 2010 (GMT)

I’m still looking into it my initial guess is that during the receive from the CAN protocol the A byte position changes position once and a while as it is receiving that’s why your getting the 53 and the right number once and a while. Right now it’s just a hypothesis (right or wrong) I need to get access to CAN vehicle again and some PC OBDII software so I can actually see the raw data stream coming from the vehicle and test to see if that’s what actually happening. I might be able to look at this later on this week or two weeks from now. Considering my personal vehicle is only running the a early version of PWM protocol and not CAN.

Best Regards,

-Road_Wx

priusfan
on: January 9, 2011 (GMT)

Prius 2010
I am using Torque(paid version) in a 2010 Prius with a BT interface on a HTC desire Z and also an Archos 101.
I added as custom pid the temp of catalizer:
01 3E equation is (A*256+B)/10 – 40 result is °C.

it works perfectly.

I wonder if your trouble is due to the fact that 2 ECU are answering to the basic question 01 05:
you get 2 answers , one from 7E0 (in 7E8) and another one from 7E2 (in 7EA) and maybe torque is showing alternatively the 2 results.

to get interesting results for the prius, it would be necessary:
a) to have the possibility to filter the dialog with a selected ECU either 7E0 or 7E2
b) to manage multiframes responses
for instance the SoC is the 22th byte of data when asking 21 01.

but if you just ask for 21 01, you get also an answer from ICE.

Road_Wx
on: January 10, 2011 (GMT)

That could be a very good possibility. Because I’ve been playing with it on my ’10 Milan which is running CAN and it hasn’t been switching between values like it was on the ’05 Montego that was running CAN.

priusfan
on: January 10, 2011 (GMT)

bonjour,
In a prius 2010, I made this morning a short test using my BT interface with hyperterminal on XP.

(maybe only by chance, the temps in 01 05 are the same)

here is the result:

>ati
ELM327 v1.4

>atsp6
OK

>ath1
OK

>ats1
OK

>0105
7E8 03 41 05 62
7EA 03 41 05 62

>010C
7E8 04 41 0C 00 00
7EA 04 41 0C 00 00

>atsh7E0
OK

>0105
7E8 03 41 05 5F

>010C
7E8 04 41 0C 00 00

>

dimakoff
on: May 10, 2011 (GMT)

Quote from Judgeless on December 10, 2010

Hi!
Any updates on Prius PID’s adaptation for Torque?

DanCreed
on: May 16, 2011 (GMT)

Did you figure out how to convert the scanguage codes to torque PID’s for the Prius?

Thanks,
Dan

piemmm
Administrator
on: May 16, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

Torque should be able to handle the extended PIDs for most vehicle manufacturers. For the Prius, it’s a case of locating the mode22 pids for all the interesting sensors available.

I believe someone had a rather nice google ‘spreadsheet’ of prius info (though when I last looked it appeared to be missing a couple of its (or I might just be blind)) I’ll have to dig it up. Though the main issue is that there’s no prius here for me to test on.

I’ll see if I can decipher some of the battery PIDs (they will appear in the Settings->Advanced->Manage extended PIDs->’Add Predefined list’ section if I get enough time), though I will need feedback as I don’t have a Prius here to test with

DanCreed
on: May 17, 2011 (GMT)

Here is that spreadsheet you mentioned… also notice the stock fuel gauge (paid app) doesn’t work with the Gen 3 Prius… Can you look at the Fuel Level entry in the spreadsheet… Would be great if the Gen 3 Prius could be added to the extended PID’s… there is lots of information from the spreadsheet.. I’d be happy to provide feedback..

Thanks,
Dan

DanCreed

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiHL0r_2nhUEdF9lVVBxOVNoN3Zva3E0NmdZTUR1eVE&hl=en#gid=5

piemmm
Administrator

Thats the one, thanks for finding it again.

Those aren’t using the standard extended PIDs, though I know a bit more about things now since the last time I saw that spreadsheet.

What I’m going to do is in 1.4.63, put a couple of ‘test predefined PIDs’ in for the prius. When it’s released, it would be cool if you could test them and let me know how you get on?

dimakoff
on: May 18, 2011 (GMT)

Thanks Ian,
I will be happy to provide you with feedback from my II-gen Prius!
Can’t wait to test! 😉

DanCreed

I’ll provide feedback as well… any ETA on the release?

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

Probably Sunday, assuming everything gets through testing. Maybe earlier if I sort out a header issue first

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.064 seconds.

Follow me on twitter