Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » DPF Regeneration

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DPF Regeneration
dave2012
Post DPF Regeneration
on: June 14, 2012 (GMT)

Hi all !
I’m new to this forum and technology also :)
While I’m still waiting for my ELM 327 bluetooth adapter, I’ve already installed the free version (so far) of the Torque app.
I’m wondering if it is possible to check the Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) status with it and even force a regeneration.
Regards
David

dave2012
Post Re: DPF Regeneration
on: June 15, 2012 (GMT)

anyone ?

Hiej

Hi Dave,

what car do you have?

In any case I think that it will no easy to implement a command to force DPF regeneration, because that is a special function developped and different depending manufacturer by manufacturer.
Other that this kind of functions are encrypted, so is needed to know commands, responces and how to interpretate, but first off all the crypto algorithm.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
2010 Mazda 2.2d – 185
OBDLink MX – SGS7

dave2012

Thanks for the reply. My bluetooth adapter(a cheap ELM 327 from amazon) just arrived, so I didn’t have the chance to test it yet. My car is a 2005 SAAB 9-3 TiD, and I would like know if it is possible at least to read a “DPF status”. Knowing this could prevent “limp modes”, as one could drive in the required conditions so that a regeneration could take place.
Thanks

Hiej

On my 2010 Mazda 3, it possible to read DPF temperature (the Torque sensor is called Catalyst bank2 sensor 1 in my case).

Generally in normal driving the teperature is between 200 – 350 °C.

When regeneration starts the temperature raises to 600-700 °C in less than a minute.

So when that happens i know that the DPF is regenerating, and that is very useful.

Edit: I use OBDKey version. 140

Im Luky because in my Mazda3 I can read this info, but I’ve thested the same adapter on a 2011 diesel Fiat Croma, and in this case there’s no info about DPF temperature…

2010 Mazda 2.2d – 185
OBDLink MX – SGS7

dave2012

Well that’s useful.
How do you know the regeneration was completed ? Does the temperature drop significantly or does it take long to cool down ?

Hiej

the temperature drop takes 2 or 3 or more minutes to achieve the normal range, the drop speed depends on driving conditions: in highway is slower in the traffic is quite faster.

For me to understand when regeneration finishes is most useful to read the instantaneous consumption shown car onboard computer: in normal conditions, cruising at 80 kph the instantaneous consumption is about 3.8 – 4.0 liters/100km, when the DPF is regenerating the instantaneous consumption is about 7.5 – 8 liters/100km, in higway at 130 kph the instantaneous consumption is about 5.6 – 6.0 liters/100km, when the DPF is regenerating the instantaneous consumption is about 8 – 9.
So when I see that the instantaneous consumption is normal I understand that the regeneration is completed.

Another thing to see if DPF is regenerating using Torque is to read intake manifold pressure: when the regen. is in progress at costant speed there’s about 20 – 30 KPA of vacuum, when there’s no regen in progress there’s no vacuum.

2010 Mazda 2.2d – 185
OBDLink MX – SGS7

dave2012
on: June 16, 2012 (GMT)

Thank you very much for those useful tips.
Regards
David

Apriumben
on: May 14, 2014 (GMT)

I have a 2009 Jaguar 3.0 XF diesel. My ELM 327 and Torque pro shows guages in the software such as DPF temperature and exhaust temperature but they don’t return any reading.

I haven’t looked for Catylst temperature as yet, but am guessing that all these sort of readings would be different for each car. So random guessing if what I am looking at doesn’t really do it for me (would be fine if I had a Mazda and someone else had already done the hard work!)

So my questions are:
a) Is the lack of data on DPF and exhaust a function of my car or the cheap OBD module?
b) Does anyone know if any of the data that Torque reports on a Jaguar XF is related to the state of the DPF or the regen cycle?
c) If the problem is with my very cheap OBD module, does anyone know of a better one (not too pricey!) that would give me more info?
Thanks for any input

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.133 seconds.

Follow me on twitter