Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » 7.3 Powerstroke dies during code scan

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 7.3 Powerstroke dies during code scan
portsample
Post 7.3 Powerstroke dies during code scan
on: June 5, 2012 (GMT)

Hello all-

I’ve got a 1999 Ford diesel Powerstroke that dies when I do a scan in Torque Pro. Does anyone know which code query causes this and how to disable it? This could be a trifle embarrassing on the motorway…
TIA

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: 7.3 Powerstroke dies during code scan
on: June 5, 2012 (GMT)

Hi!

Unfortunately this is a known flaw in the PowerStroke ECU’s built in part of 1999 – Ford know about this issue and a couple of people have requested it to be fixed, but unfortunately have had no luck. IIRC it was only ECUs built in a certain number of months at a specific factory that had this issue (it is a firmware/software issue in the ECU itself)

The queries are standard OBD2 commands, unfortunately due to the way the bug manifests there is no solid way to prevent it from being triggered (when triggered, the ECU reboots which obviously causes the engine to shutdown). There is already a workaround in the app to try to prevent this from happening, however, if you are using a clone adapter (which has a fault count greater than 0) then you may still have issues when the adapter sends the wrong command (unfortunately, due to the build quality of some clone adapters, you can ask for ‘speed’ and it will ask the ECU for something completely different)

portsample
on: June 10, 2012 (GMT)

Thanks for the explanation Ian. This is really cool software. I’ve loaded the Ford Powerstroke PID package, but am only getting the below fields in my table when logging even though there are a dozen or so more Powerstroke fields that are selected but not showing up.

session time, GPS Longitude, GPS Latitude, GPS Speed, GPS Bearing Coolant, Fuel press, Total trip moving time(seconds),Intake pressure(MAP),OBD Speed, Engine Load, RPM, GPS vs OBD speed difference, Intake air temperature, MPG.

I am using SAE J1850-VPW protocol. Are there any other settings that I am missing?

How can I check that PIDs in the application are correct for this rig, and if they are not how can I find the correct ones? Feel free to PM me. Thanks.

PS My adapter is a crusty circa 2008 Elmscan 5 Bluetooth unit that was made in the USA…so I’m guessing it’s not a clone. How do I determine “fault count”?

Hogie1207
on: February 22, 2014 (GMT)

I don’t think this had been fixed by the 2002 model year. My son has a 2002 F350 Superduty and it too will suddenly stall if you do a code scan in Torque with a bluetooth ELM327 connected.

I assume that if he does not try to do a code scan while driving that it will be OK.

2000_7.3
on: October 24, 2014 (GMT)

I have a 2000 F350 which is OBDII certified and I have had this issue as well. Everyone seems to blame some bug but why doesn’t this happen on my Scan Tool or with the Edge product line, or many other programmers, scanners, out there on the market..? No, this is an issue with this software. If you use it you do run the risk of your 7000 lb truck stalling and could create a real collision incident.

Capp777
on: October 24, 2014 (GMT)

Torque uses OBDII mode 3 when checking for
generic and legislated DTCs.

The other scanners you mentioned are probably
using manufacturer specific commands to retrieve
the DTCs by function and status.

Your truck is not fully OBDII compliant. Diesels
were not required to be until 2004 I believe.

Your truck probably uses a subset of OBDII and
this stalling problem has been a known issue which
others have worked around by not scanning faults
automatically while the truck is running and by
not accessing adapter status functions (mode 9)
while running.

I also suggest testing any new pids with KOEO for
a test response before using on your displays.

There is a special setting in Torque which tries to
work around some bugged Ford ECUs.

Since your truck is not fully OBDII compliant the
risk of using an unrecognized command/pid will
always be present I believe.

Torque is marketed for fully OBDII compliant
vehicles.

(full disclosure I am not the developer and am
only giving my opinion).

fixpro256
on: June 14, 2018 (GMT)

I am new to this. I was trying to find info on using torque with my 7.3. Unfortunately, the search function doesn’t return anything when I search for “7.3”.

I have a 1999(1998/07/27) Ford F250 Superduty USA Diesel V8 7.3
SAE J1850 PWM (41.6Kbaud)
Using an OBDLink MX

I have a scangauge that can read codes and clear without killing the motor. Although I don’t have any codes to clear. Not sure if that matters.

Mine died a bunch too. Just today, I found it to be the mode 9 problem. Some of the apps (like dashcommand and obdlink) allow you to turn off mode 9. That, so far, has helped. Time will tell if there are other problems causing it to die.

Is there a way to turn off mode 9 in torque????

Mode 9 is what tells you the calibration version. I would like to know the calibration version, just once, even if it kills the motor. Does anyone know how to read it another way?

Thanks

1999(1998/07/27) Ford F250 Superduty USA Diesel V8 7.3 SAE J1850 PWM (41.6Kbaud)
ODBLink MX Bluetooth Model: MX101 Rev 2.2/R4 Mfr 2018/05/04

Capp777
on: June 14, 2018 (GMT)

There is a special setting for Ford under settings
which I believe will work around the mode 9
issue. Also make sure you remove any custom
pids which do not return a valid response for
your vehicle.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.043 seconds.