Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Using "send" command to actuate fans

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Using "send" command to actuate fans
vetteguy112233
Post Using "send" command to actuate fans
on: May 7, 2012 (GMT)

My friend purchased and ELM327 generic adapter and the current version of Torque. I’ve been playing around with it and am very impressed. I guess he got one of the “good” adapters from China, because we haven’t had any issues so far. I’m considering purchasing the ELM327 and Torque, but have a few questions. I’m a mechanic for a living and would like to be able to use Torque to actuate the electric fans or fuel pump… for testing purposes. I emailed Ian to see if Torque would ever support this function and he told me that it’s possible with the current version, you “add display” pick “Push button” and then you long press on the “send command button” and it gives you the option to “set command to send” It says “Enter raw OBD command(s) to send:” and there is a test command button.

What data goes in this box? I’m currently working with either a 98 Chev K1500 5.0 or 2004 GMC Yukon 5.3

Any help or info would be much appreciated.

vetteguy112233
Post Re: Using "send" command to actuate fans
on: May 10, 2012 (GMT)

Nobody else has a need for this or has tried it?

CrAzY4n00Bs

I attempted to do this but did not get so far since my vehicle is not capable of comprehending the commands, for some reason :/

piemmm
Administrator

You will need to send the OBD commands for activating the fan

If this includes needing to activate the enhanced diagnostics mode as well then you will need to send that relevant command as well

The push button ‘send command’ can send multiple commands at once (seperated by a line break), so you could send ELM specific commands, or direct OBD2 commands – it’s simply a case of entering the relevant information as per the ELM327 data sheet (think of the ‘send command’ button as a terminal that sends the data in it when the button is pressed)

synergetic
on: February 3, 2013 (GMT)

Quote from admin on May 10, 2012
You will need to send the OBD commands for activating the fan

If this includes needing to activate the enhanced diagnostics mode as well then you will need to send that relevant command as well

The push button ‘send command’ can send multiple commands at once (seperated by a line break), so you could send ELM specific commands, or direct OBD2 commands – it’s simply a case of entering the relevant information as per the ELM327 data sheet (think of the ‘send command’ button as a terminal that sends the data in it when the button is pressed)

Help!

Can you please give an example OBD command data for Using the “Send OBD command” with the “Push Button” Display widget please ?

Are command characters required before the CAN message data?
Is the Data entered in HEX format ?

This will help us to know where to start with using this mysterious feature. Thanks

piemmm
Administrator
on: February 4, 2013 (GMT)

Hi!

It’s in hex format. A new line means a new command. The input is direct to the ELM327 chip, so you can do pretty much anything you want using the push button – search for ‘ELM327DS’ on google and select the PDF datasheet that comes up in the results (this gives you a list of commands)

Bear in mind that changing some of the AT commands may intefere with what Torque has setup to be able to read data, however you will be able to send whatever command is required if you just want that functionality

Nightrider
on: February 11, 2013 (GMT)

Ian, is there a way to also see the ELM327’s response to each command sent to it or to the OBD bus? It might be useful sometimes to see the response too.

synergetic
on: February 19, 2013 (GMT)

Quote from admin on February 4, 2013
Hi!

It’s in hex format. A new line means a new command. The input is direct to the ELM327 chip, so you can do pretty much anything you want using the push button – search for ‘ELM327DS’ on google and select the PDF datasheet that comes up in the results (this gives you a list of commands)

Bear in mind that changing some of the AT commands may intefere with what Torque has setup to be able to read data, however you will be able to send whatever command is required if you just want that functionality

Thanks but Are you able to give an example of sending a CANbus message to the CANbus?

synergetic
on: February 23, 2013 (GMT)

The usage of Torque Pro could really takeoff if this was clear how to use the SEND button to send a CANbus message.

blistovmhz
on: August 22, 2018 (GMT)

Thread revival!
Same question. Just looking for a single example of a command being sent back to the ECM (preferably in enhanced mode), just to get me rolling.
I’ve got a ton of custom commands I’d LOVE to be able to push to the ECM. I’m sorta surprised there isn’t more discussion on the subject.

Also related, is there any way to send a command and display a returned result? EG: I want to command my ECM to enter D1 or performance mode (trans shift pattern), and see that mode returned. Stock truck does it over the wire, so I’m assuming it must be an OBD/canbus thing.

moreause
on: August 24, 2018 (GMT)

obd is standard

communication in the car is far from standard even if it use the same bus

but it’s not impossible to do

sometime you just need to sniff the bus to see what is sent by the device and the reproduce the data …but it is time consuming if you start from scratch

You normally have more chance finding the info on a forum specific to you car

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.053 seconds.

Follow me on twitter