Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Torque Unable to connect to ECU

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Torque Unable to connect to ECU
Mufti
Post Torque Unable to connect to ECU
on: March 31, 2012 (GMT)

Hi everyone,

I have a Toyota Vitz 1999 model which is OBD-II compliant…I am using Torque FREE Version….The app finds my ELM 327 Bluetooth adapter but when its time to connect then it starts finding the Protocol and does not find it. Helllppppp Please…i need to get it work

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Torque Unable to connect to ECU
on: April 1, 2012 (GMT)

Hi!

If your vehicle is definitely OBD2 compliant then the app will work with it (however, just having the correct shaped socket does not automatically mean it’s OBD2 compliant)

If the vehicle is compliant, and you have the app connected to the adapter ok, then it can only be an issue with the adapter not functioning correctly

Mufti

Hi..

But the App and the Adapter is working perfectly fine on my friend’s Honda Civic 2005 VTi Oriel……On my car it keeps on searching for Protocol and then gives a message that “Unable to connect to ECU”….My car Vitz 1999 is a Japnese imported car…How can i fix it?

piemmm
Administrator

Ah!

The legislation for OBD2 is very different in japan – this affects imported vehicles that were originally sold in japans domestic market – they’re not required to support OBD2.

You will need to double-check that the vehicle is really OBD2 compliant, as you may find that it is not – Usually the ECU firmware determines if the vehicle is OBD2 capable or not (so you may find that a UK firmware would enable support, though you would need to speak to some honda experts to see if that’s possible first)

Mufti
on: April 2, 2012 (GMT)

Hi,

Thanks for your help, Well is it possible that this problem is occuring because of the reason that im using the FREE Version of Torque App.

Because i have tried to use it on almost 3 different Toyota Corolla VVTi engines (Toyota Corolla XLi) engines and the fault is same in all of these i.e. it keeps on searching for protocols.

I will really appreciate your help in this regard.

piemmm
Administrator
on: April 2, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

It’s the adapter that does the searching for the correct protocol and does the hard work of talking to the ECU, Torque merely asks the adapter for various readings once it has connected to the ECU

If the adapter can’t find a protocol to talk to the ECU, then Torque won’t be able to talk to it – whether that is the free or pro versions. This could mean (that if you definately absolutely know the vehicle is OBD2 compliant) that it could be the adapter

Mufti
on: April 5, 2012 (GMT)

Hi there,

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help. Is there any way you can tell me by seeing the Log file that whether the problem is with the adapter or the vehicle’s OBD-Interface.

2. I have also tried this adapter with Land Rover Defender but its still searching for protocols and unable to communicate with the ECU’s. But on Honda’s its working perfectly. This means that adapter is not picking up Toyota specific protocols. That is J1850PWM.

3. If i go for buying a new adapter, then what adapter you suggest that i should buy. Which company and which module?

I will really appreciate your help.

Regards

piemmm
Administrator

Ah

J1850-PWM is a problem protocol on some adapters – there is a note on it on the http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters page due to the number of adapters with issues with that protocol (usually it only affects ford vehicles though)

Yes, you can enable ‘debugging’ in the general settings, and then restart the app

Let the app try to connect for a minute, then go to the realtime information screen->menu->more->send debugging info.

Type your forum name in and ‘toyota’ in (so I know what it’s about when I see it) then press ‘send’. I’ll have a look and confirm what is going on for you

Mufti

Hi,

Thanks for your help, I cant find the enable debugging option on the app. Do you mean the “Toggle Logging” option. Because Debugger is not visible on any option.

Regards

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

Sorry – in the settings from the main screen (press menu when you start torque), then go to ‘General Settings->{scroll down}->Enable debugging

Mitchegan
on: November 5, 2015 (GMT)

Hi guys I am all new to this. I have reading about connection to the obd. I just received my obd today I cant getting to work on my Honda civic 2002 model but it work on my Chrysler 300. and suggestion pls.

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 6, 2015 (GMT)

Hi

Check that the Honda supports OBD2 – if it does then it should definitely work with Torque.

Which would mean that you are unlucky and have a defective clone adapter (that works on one manufacturers protocols, but not another manufacturers different protocols) – they should work on all protocols, but due to build quality and testing issues means that your adapter likely is defective on the protocol your honda uses (it’s the adapter that does the job of talking the correct protocol to the ECU)

You may need to get the adapter replaced (after you have checked the honda supports OBD2) – if it’s a petrol based engine then it should support it if you’re in the EU/US (diesels support OBD2 from 2004 onwards)

sb71nova
on: November 8, 2015 (GMT)

I have had problems with a couple different vehicles where it just didnt “see” the vehicle.

Yesterday, I was trying to connect with a vehicle, and seeing the same problem again.

For whatever reason, someone sitting in the vehicle rev’d the engine slightly, and BINGO!

My guess is that at idle, there may not have been enough initial voltage to “wake it up” for lack of a better term.

asmoto05
on: May 7, 2016 (GMT)

Ok my adapter used to work on my car. Loaned to friend, upgraded phone, now phone connects to adapter but no communication with the ecu.

Capp777
on: May 8, 2016 (GMT)

Check to see if settings are still set for the
correct protocol or auto search. Torque tries
to use the last successful protocol unless
specifically told otherwise.

Your friends vehicle protocol is likely
different than yours.

asmoto05
on: May 8, 2016 (GMT)

Cars are identical in every way, year make model. Heck even the same color.

180racer
on: May 10, 2016 (GMT)

Unable to get my 2008 subaru outback xt to display any engine Rpm boost temp etc can only read logled codes what can I do?

Pizzi13
on: November 9, 2017 (GMT)

According to a chart of protocols by vehicle that I found (which listed the correct protocol for my Dodge Durango) the protocol for my
2007 Chrysler Town and Country is “VPN”. This protocol is not listed among the ELM37/Torque protocols, and it does not fond a correct protocol when doing an auto search. Will this protocol become available, or is there some other way to communicate with the OBD?

Zaem30
on: August 18, 2022 (GMT)

Quote from Mufti on March 31, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have a Toyota Vitz 1999 model which is OBD-II compliant…I am using Torque FREE Version….The app finds my ELM 327 Bluetooth adapter but when its time to connect then it starts finding the Protocol and does not find it. Helllppppp Please…i need to get it work

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.065 seconds.

Follow me on twitter