Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Recent changes (last year) that cause disruptive CAN bus errors?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Recent changes (last year) that cause disruptive CAN bus errors?
Telek
Post Recent changes (last year) that cause disruptive CAN bus errors?
on: April 18, 2023 (GMT)

I have a Chevy Bolt EV, and did a lot of work to discover and publish all of the PIDs for this car, so I’m very aware of how everything works, and I used Torque Pro constantly between 2017 and 2021.

Sometime between Sep 2021 and now there are some changes to Torque that, with the exact same adapters (good ones, like OBDLink LX and MX) cause massive CAN bus errors that actually create safety hazards.

I have no non-standard PIDs in the scan. They’re all 0x7E0 through 0x7E7.

For example, last week I was driving with the scanner running for about 15 minutes, and the car glitched on the highway, causing a noticeable lurch. Regen stopped working entirely, friction brakes only. The DIC lit up with a dozen or so errors – all caused by CAN bus communication errors. I had to pull over and restart the car several times to get the errors to go away and the regen to return.

Pretty much every time I’ve tried driving for more than a half an hour now over the last 4 or 5 tries a problem like this has occurred.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED in my setup, other than Torque being updated. I have noticed that Torque seems to scan much faster now than it did a couple of years ago, and I can only assume that this is causing problems on the bus.

Any ideas what might have changed and how to revert/fix it? I’ve got hundreds (possibly thousands) of hours of logs between 2017-2021 with the exact same OBD2 adapter and maybe once or twice a glitch. Back then it seemed to scan about 15 PIDs/second. But now it’s more like 40-50 and every time I drive, the system glitches out.

EDIT: I see now a new feature was added for CAN BUS monitoring and hybrid mode specifically for this adapter. I too have played directly with monitoring, and with my own custom code can get ~400 PIDs/second scanning. It’s very impressive but I can only assume this is causing the CAN BUS errors in the car. Will try turning that off.

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Recent changes (last year) that cause disruptive CAN bus errors?
on: April 25, 2023 (GMT)

Hi!

This can happen with some malfunctioning adapters and also if the adapter is disconnected from the app (via bluetooth off/on, or another app intefereing with bluetooth) – in the vehicle profile, go to the protocol selection and choose ‘automatic – fast’ or select the protocol your vehicle uses and this should minimise the adapter trying to search for the correct vehicle protocol

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.011 seconds.

Follow me on twitter