Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Torque causing cell data service to stop working

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Torque causing cell data service to stop working
Gamefanatic
Post Torque causing cell data service to stop working
on: March 9, 2023 (GMT)

I’ve been having a problem which I thought was the cell company, buthave tracked down the problem occuring only while Torque (andoid) is running. When I reach a certain spot in my trip my cell service will stop working. Going to airplane mode and back out will not fix the problem until I exit Torque. Once the problem is resolved I can open Torque again and continue to use it. The problem was just in one spot on my normal route, but appears to be happening in other areas now where it wasn’t a problem before.

I’m thinking the issue must be with something Torque is trying to do over the internet and possibly hanging up. I don’t know what I should check. I don’t believe it has anything to do with the adapter as I have validate the issue appears in a CAN and Non-CAN vehicles using 2 different bluetooth adapters (OBDLink MX and OBDLink MX+).

Any help suggestions to track this down?

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Torque causing cell data service to stop working
on: March 15, 2023 (GMT)

Hi!

There’s a setting to put the phone into airplane mode in the ‘dashboard’ settings (part of the main settings in the app) – this is the only thing that will cause the phone cell to stop on request (the setting is for when you install the phone as part of the dashboard and you can set it to put the phone into airplane mode to save power when you’re not using the vehicle)

If it’s not that setting, then it’s likely to be an issue with the phone itself (possibly a device driver) – you don’t say what phone it is however.

Gamefanatic
on: March 20, 2023 (GMT)

Its a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. Its definitely something the Torque app is doing in conjunction with a specific location. Probably related to switching towers.
If the Torque App is running while going through this specific area, then I lose all data and cell. No wifi around to test if that works. Though my signal icon of my device doesn’t update unless I try to turn Airplane Mode on (turn off cell/data) and turn it back off (turn on cell/data).
If I don’t have Torque open the problem is avoided, if I have Torque open when going through the area, I have to close it before I can get service back.
If I use OBDLink or FORScan with the same monitors, I don’t have the issue.

piemmm
Administrator
on: March 20, 2023 (GMT)

Hi!

I’d be interested to know if this happens when streaming bluetooth music (ie: making sure the bluetooth is sending bucketloads of data at the time this happens).

Samsung used to have *big* problems on earlier handsets using both bluetooth and wifi at the same time to tx/rx data. It usually ended up in dropped bluetooth connections or completely borked wifi requiring a reboot

I suspect this may be a firmware bug too or a handset issue… depending on the cpu type the bt/wifi/etc may be on the same chip with the cellular modem.

The reasoning for this is that I have the UK version of the note 20 ultra 5G here (it was my main phone before I sidestepped to the S22 so I never had to do without the s-pen. Whilst I was using it as my daily I never noticed any issues like this

The specific location is interesting however – *if* it is a particular tower config that’s causing problems then it should always be reproducible when passing that location, and also would be triggered by other high use bluetooth things (like the streaming suggestion).
This is aside from anything unlikely being used in that area like Cell Jammers and even more unlikely Singrays being used :)

Gamefanatic
on: March 22, 2023 (GMT)

Well I do have my Bluetooth hooked up in most cases. I’ll double check that having the music on or off has no effect. I’m pretty sure I checked that before. I have not noticed any issues with bluetooth while having this problem. In most cases I don’t even turn it off to resolve the problem, but have tried.

So far I have tried to use a VPN connection while going through this area, but the problem still occurred.
This morning I used the wifi hot spot of my work phone (no VPN). The wifi traffic was unaffected, but my cell data / voice had no signal again. I had to close Torque to get it back.

Definitely an issue between Torque and this specific location / cell tower.

I will grab my previous S8+ and try it out once I can find it.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.02 seconds.

Follow me on twitter