Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Canbus data

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Canbus data
Misa
Post Re: Canbus data
on: February 4, 2022 (GMT)

Okay, tested when i got off work and issue persists still unfortunately.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

That’s odd – can you send another debug when you have a moment?

Misa

Uploaded.

Also, it breaks external PIDs too. Makes them all respond 27

piemmm
Administrator
on: February 5, 2022 (GMT)

Hi

Yes – got the debug and fixed – apologies for this one as it slipped passed me in testing (you have a slightly unusual ECU configuration which means headers get set off when the app thinks you can benefit from it)

It’s now fixed in the .52 update along with a small diagnostic start/stop fix another user sent a debug for where they complained some extended PIDs weren’t working (2101) which should also be sorted

Misa

Alright cool. Ill test and get back to you.

Any luck on adding a line for formulas?

Misa

Seems to be working. :) Not anywhere as slow as i thought it’d be.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

It should be nice and quick on usb (and fairly nippy on a decent Bluetooth adapter as well) :)

I need to think about the formulas a bit as it needs to be exportable in DBC (and obviously formulas dont exist there). Once I’m happy all the bugs are out of the stable release cycle then I’ll be back to adding lots of new stuff in the feature updates in the next betas

Misa

Alright, awesome, thanks!

Misa

Idea: you know how you have it so we can set min/max values and and names to the guages themselves on the dashboard? Perhaps add the formula/equation line to those. Then you don’t need to worry about adding to the dbc stuff or messing with that.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

It would work for Torque, but you can’t export that to another system and have it simply work (the information is lost)

The export function needs to contain all the information so an export/import on the same or different device (or DBC compatible other program) still has all the information present to get the job done :)

Misa

Ah, i see. It would have to be imported all a separate files. Hm, yeah that would be inconvenient.

Is there a way to append data to the beginning end of the dbc file? Or would that just mess up how other systems see it?

(Im slowly beginning to understand the dbc file stuff, this is a good learning experience)

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

The main aim is to keep to the standard so the files are interoperable, so eventually everyone has a better experience

If I start adding bits to the DBC file format (even just in comments) then the exported DBC file still won’t work in other systems as they don’t know to parse the equation (and it’s not following the standard) – at that point everyone usually starts jumping up and down screaming conspiracy that torque is trying to take over a standard :)

The DBC format is actually quite suited to CAN frames, and does everything that’s needed, however you can also create *additional* virtual PIDs in torque which take those DBC sensors and then you can make your own in-app sensors (which are basically a combination of 1, 2, or more DBC style sensors). This is ok, as you’re not messing with the DBC file and the PIDs and DBC sensors are separate and will not interfere with each other

(though I have not tested virtual PIDs just yet with DBC sensors, it’s on the list of things to do with looking at DBC logging as well)

Misa

Virtual PID?

That sounds like that could work in my situation actually. How do i do that one?

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

If you go into the pid list, press the menu button->add predefined set->Orion BMS (it will add a *lot* so backup or save first :-))

– there’s a good example of a virtual pid near the top of that list

Misa

So new wierd thing.

I manually edited the DBC file to make a negative offset for a temperature data feed.. and after loading it it, the dash gauge automatically converted it to Fahrenheit for me?

Im not complaining by any means, im amazed it happened at all. how did it know?

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

Main app Settings->Units

It’s done it for nearly a decade, everyone still tries to convert the units manually in PIDs though, so I keep seeing equations like:

Equation:
9/5*(A-50)+32 Units: Deg.F

when it should just be:

Equation:
A-50 Units: Deg.C

Much simpler and easier to read. The app handles unit conversions for you based on the preferences you set. The display will then update with the new units the next time it gets data :)

Misa

Thats great! Well in that case, i dont need a formula bar at all then. All my canbus and pids are reading properly now.

I noticed the data speed hit finally. Went from 200 pids/sec to 25 or so. Guess thats normal with it in hybrid mode?

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

Yes – the speed hit is unavoidable due to the mode switch in the adapter (the bluetooth adapters also take the same speed hit but arrive at much the same PID rate)

Misa

Understandable. It works for what i need it for base driving. When racing I’ll just disable canbus mode.

Thanks again for all your help!

Misa

Though the hybrid mode toggle doesnt work. It defaults back to on every time torque is restarted.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.065 seconds.

Follow me on twitter