Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » The key to getting more PIDs working

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: The key to getting more PIDs working
88gtu
Post Re: The key to getting more PIDs working
on: November 2, 2012 (GMT)

As someone who enjoys reverse engineering, and the work Ian has done with this application – I thought I’d add my 2 cents (or 7 for that matter – via the points below).

1) Get the TorqueScan plugin.

2) Run the TorqueScan application on your car – this may take 3+ hours depending on how many actual PID’s (think of them as memory addresses in a computer/PLC). If you are looking for a temp sensor – run this scan on a completely cold car to use the known temp sensors (coolant is pretty universal) to have as a baseline of what other temp modules would have. Learn how you would test/verify the data of the sensor you are looking for (IE: my next step is to find the KR PID – I’ll be tapping near my knock sensor watching 6 PIDs at a time to see if any respond – PIDs that measured Zero on scan).

3) Take the PID scan results and save them in notepad (forces you to email them to Ian I believe) and look at (traditionally mode 22 PIDs for GM’s – not sure for other brands protocols). and draw a line down in a column that provides the payload data from each return of the PID. IE: Command:222002 repsonse: 62 20 02 FF The 62 20 02 is the response of the PID address, the FF is the data.

4) The data is provided in Hex – convert to decimal to get a rough gauge of what it could mean. (temp sensors typically are A-40 – take that in mind).

5) Have a beer, relax, and look through all data values that seem they may be near/around a known data value. IE: My coolant temp sensor cold was data value ’43’hex = 67decimal. Then I take 67-40(per the formula) = 27. 27*C = 80.6*F. A bit of simple math here may help get a rough idea… you could confirm this with your dash display – if you have coolant temp/air temp.

6) With some of the PID’s that could work, test them out – make a few test PID configs, map them in the dashboard view and see how they respond. See if you can confirm this information via other means (thermometer/etc). This is how I found my IAT2.

7) Come back to the forum, share your results – pass a beer to a friend and enjoy the fruits of your labor (Diagnostic reverse engineering can be fun! share with a friend!)

Thanks,

Matt

MDJammin
on: February 9, 2013 (GMT)

Quote from 355188040081550 on January 30, 2012
Look here. I am not trying to tease anyone in here. If you feel that way then I apologize. This is way to much data to document. If anyone in here is interested in a pid post here and if available I will reply with the equation and name. Ford and Mazda is setup right now. Start with Powertrain. What sensors do you need?

I could use a helping hand.
New to the forum/app and definately not a tech

I was hoping to diagnose an issue on my 13 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T

PIDs for ……
– waistgate voltage
– knock sensor
– Timing pulled
– 1st and 2nd pump fuel pressures

A friend diagnosed a new tune a few days ago on his scantool. We had missfires in all 4 cyldrs and knock in 1 and 4 at about 5K rpms. And his car same exact setup shows fuel pressure at 2nd pump of 2000 and mine was only 1694 at the same RPM where the knock occured.

Plus, I have an intermitant “limp mode” where the car won’t boost and major vibrations under load that only occurs once or twice a week.

Trying to avoid the dealership, but I cannot access some of the readings I really wanted to monitor to figure this out.

From Bel Air, MD
2013 Sonata Limited Turbo

vvn20
on: February 11, 2013 (GMT)

Why is your programm “TORQUE” can’t read long messages?
PID:2101
61 01 00 3F B1 3A B1 00 00 15 00 63 11 00 02 90 14 3C 01 19 57 1E 19 C8 FE 98 96 85 00 10 50 1C 00 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 03 16 FD 01 A2 8A 00 00 00 00 80 00 FF C0 03 11 A8 A8 56 62 45 00 08 7A 7F

How correctly identify request message bytes?

машина ваз Приора

MDJammin
on: February 11, 2013 (GMT)

I’m a newbie to torque and not a mechanic nor an engineer…..the search on this forum and online resulted in zero custom pies for 2ltr turbo Hyundai theta II engine CAN.

From Bel Air, MD
2013 Sonata Limited Turbo

dave2012
on: February 15, 2013 (GMT)

Hi !
As anyone been able to find (if possible) the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) related PIDs ? It would be very usefull to see the DPF saturation. Regards

flejeune
Post PID ibiza 2009 mk5 (6J)
on: February 19, 2013 (GMT)

bonjour quelqu’un pourrait il m’indiquer ou trouver les PID pour une ibiza 6j de 2009?
je constate de plus que le module de scan ne trouve aucun pid sur mon ibiza c’est normale?
hello could someone point me where to find the PID for ibiza 6j of 2009?
I see more than the module scan finds no pid on my ibiza this normal?

Francisco SC
on: March 4, 2013 (GMT)

Quote from dave2012 on February 15, 2013
Hi !
As anyone been able to find (if possible) the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) related PIDs ? It would be very usefull to see the DPF saturation. Regards

Hi Dave, I’ve been playing with the following:

OBD2 Mode and PID: 017a
equation: (255-b)*c

OBD2 Mode and PID: 017a
equation: (255-B)*C/[10]

But so far these two formulas throw a value which jumps up and down so much that makes it basically useless. One can see that their tendency is to increase over the time, and when a DPF regeneration arrives, then the velues decrease again. But as I said they are not stabe enough to be usable.

balorios
Post PIDs for Nissan Murano 2006
on: April 9, 2013 (GMT)

Hi, please help me with PIDs for nissan murano… can´t “talk” with my vehicle because of it…

Thanks a lot for your time and consideration.

stvntylr
on: April 23, 2013 (GMT)

Still in search of PID’s for 98.5 Dodge Ram, specifically Trans.temp…
Has anyone had any luck retrieving for 2nd gen Dodge Rams?

Thanks

lildaddym
on: June 9, 2013 (GMT)

@johndoe: Any PIDs for the 1998 Mercedes SLK tire pressures? Anyone, for that matter?

Capp777
on: June 10, 2013 (GMT)

Quote from stvntylr on April 23, 2013
Still in search of PID’s for 98.5 Dodge Ram, specifically Trans.temp…
Has anyone had any luck retrieving for 2nd gen Dodge Rams?

Thanks

Have you tried these?

Quote from mfifield on February 21, 2012
This might help out. I just read it on a Ram forum:

There is already a sensor in your transmission that reads sump temperature. If you have a scan tool that will read data using PIDs, you can program it to read this thermistor. The PID was A01B on older trucks, and it is B011 on newer trucks (2007 and later, I am sure, but I don’t know how much earlier this code was used). This should return a signed 2-byte value with a scale factor of 0.015625. So you read a 2-byte value (like 11968) and multiply it by 0.015625 to get the measured sump temp in °F (in this example, 187°F).”

FanOfSkynyrd
on: June 15, 2013 (GMT)

Hi,

Just starting using Torque App (pro version) about a week ago.

I installed the Ford Enhanced PIDs located within the app, however, most of them are not working on my 2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1.

Is there a specific reason? Any help is appreciated, total noob at this, thanks!

SteveEbey73742
on: August 26, 2013 (GMT)

Quote from 355188040081550 on January 30, 2012
Look here. I am not trying to tease anyone in here. If you feel that way then I apologize. This is way to much data to document. If anyone in here is interested in a pid post here and if available I will reply with the equation and name. Ford and Mazda is setup right now. Start with Powertrain. What sensors do you need?

2000 Excursion, V10, 6.8L. I would like the info for cylinder 9 and cylinder 10 misfire counts.

Vasilich
on: February 25, 2014 (GMT)

johndoe
are you still active with PIDs search? Have you got the idea with Torque plugins? what is your decision on it (make plugins per manufacturer and sell them via android market?)
I have an old car (Mazda 626GF 1997) and would like to know if it is possible to read fuel level from it? (only custom PID i use is speed, because standard obd 0d is always 0)

georgk111
on: April 12, 2014 (GMT)

In case anyone reads it:
I have an Opel Ampera 2012 (but Chevrolet Volt shoud be pretty similar), and I am looking for the tire pressure PIds, cannot find them. I know there is software that can read it with simple OBD2 Adapters. I found here in this thread something about Toyota Tundra: 822AF 1210B Tire 1 inflation). Is “822” a common address for tire management systems? Any hints where to search?

Driving since 2 years an electric vehicle (REVAi, made in India). Alas it has no OBD2 bus. New car Opel Ampera with OBD2.

Tomin
on: April 14, 2014 (GMT)

I think this packet is not for CAN bus.
82 2A F1 is a header of KWP2000 or so, NOT CAN
(82=header, 2A=address of ECU, F1=addr. of tester)
and 210B then is “read data by local ident.”

Jeff23spl
on: June 13, 2014 (GMT)

i don’t know is @johndoe is still working out some pid adress but i’m looking for Mazda 2004-2008 Map voltage.
Specific to be Mazdaspeed3 2007
And if the pid list for Mazda is availaible i will be interrested in some others too

silent_tiger85
on: May 22, 2015 (GMT)

Quote from johndoe on January 30, 2012
Yes, Toyota with and without CAN BUS can be done.

I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra. Could you please give me the PIDs for the following sensors. Thanks.

Fuel Level
Room(Inside) Temperature Sensor
Outside Temperature Sensor
Humidity Sensor
Transmission Temperature
Current transmission gear

linuxgod
Post 2nd gen (2007-2009) Acura MDX codes
on: September 4, 2015 (GMT)

Has anyone worked out the PIDs for the 2007-2009 Acura MDX? I tow a trailer, and so of high interest to me are the temp sensors:

Transmission Temp
Rear Diff Temp
VTM Temp
Oil Temp

It looks like some of these are possible, as AutoEngenuity at least shows A/T temp on their website as an example of the 2009 MDX (https://www.autoenginuity.com/images/vehicle_samples/Honda/AcuraMDX2009/images/AcuraMDX2009-Transmission-SensorList01.jpg). I can’t bring myself to spend 0 on their tool and expansion pack *plus* lug around a laptop every time I tow in order to monitor these.

I’m totally willing to spend if someone could reverse engineer them (and being a unix geek I’m even willing to help).

Jrhastie65
on: April 16, 2016 (GMT)

John does could you help with PIDS for my 2012 gmc 2500 hd duramax. Current PIDS don’t show me my egts. The catalyst 2 sensor reads zero and my DPF temp sits still at 100 all the time.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.071 seconds.

Follow me on twitter