Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Access to GPS data while in background

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Access to GPS data while in background
Kermit
Post Access to GPS data while in background
on: November 7, 2021 (GMT)

I’m using Torque Pro to push realtime data to ABRP (Abetterouteplanner) servers while using ABRP app for navigating and withe the latest release od Torque Pro I lost the possibility to give GPS data access while in background.

I wonder if there is any possbility to get back GPS data while Torque is running in background.

I know that Android 11 (and I guess 12) are restricting position access rules, but as far as I have understood that should not have been completely prohibited. I read that a permission like that have to be moved from app permisison menu to app seetings within the app.

Please help ….

PoyoGT
Post Re: Access to GPS data while in background
on: November 11, 2021 (GMT)

Yes please!!! I find that part extremely useful, and now it’s gone, please fix it or if it can’t be done please allow to downgrade the app.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

You shouldn’t need to do anything as it is already handled. GPS will always be accessible if you don’t hide the notification icon for Torque when it’s running in the background.

In later versions of android, the options you’re given for allowing location data changed, so that ‘while using’ the app also covers the activity notification being visible in the status bar, so GPS should still always be accessible (unless you hid the notification icon, which will then stop collection as the app will no longer be considered as running)

This semantics change in android has confused a lot of people. but as long as the app has the ‘allow while using’ style permission(and you didn’t hide the activity notification in the notification panel), then everything should carry on as normal.

Edit: Just found a bug with this, which could cause it to stop. I’m testing it now and should upload in the next day or so (then it’ll be down to google to approve the release)

Edit2: This is now uploaded to Google Play in the beta track (join as a beta tester to get it) – Feedback appreciated as I have also had to update the android target API level for this release due to google play requirements

PoyoGT

I’ll check out the beta version, you are amazing thanks for the support, I will let you know if it is working correctly.

Kermit

Thanks a lot. I’ll check the beta version tomorrow and report.

PoyoGT
on: November 12, 2021 (GMT)

Quote from admin on November 11, 2021
Hi!

You shouldn’t need to do anything as it is already handled. GPS will always be accessible if you don’t hide the notification icon for Torque when it’s running in the background.

In later versions of android, the options you’re given for allowing location data changed, so that ‘while using’ the app also covers the activity notification being visible in the status bar, so GPS should still always be accessible (unless you hid the notification icon, which will then stop collection as the app will no longer be considered as running)

This semantics change in android has confused a lot of people. but as long as the app has the ‘allow while using’ style permission(and you didn’t hide the activity notification in the notification panel), then everything should carry on as normal.

Edit: Just found a bug with this, which could cause it to stop. I’m testing it now and should upload in the next day or so (then it’ll be down to google to approve the release)

Edit2: This is now uploaded to Google Play in the beta track (join as a beta tester to get it) – Feedback appreciated as I have also had to update the android target API level for this release due to google play requirements

HI, I just downloaded the beta version 1.10.136 and did a long test drive with the app in background, everything worked fine and the GPS was tracked perfectly, I did had an issue the first time I tried, the app kind of restart itself but after that it worked as expected.
Thanks for the great work.

Kermit
on: November 12, 2021 (GMT)

Yes, it works :-)

Thanks for the quick fix and for your great work.

rsedlac
on: November 15, 2021 (GMT)

Hi,
after installing 1.10.136 the app lost the original access to internal storage. It can access media only and thus it doesn’t start writing log files at all now.
Thx for advice in advance, R.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.027 seconds.

Follow me on twitter