Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Some gauges stop working

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Some gauges stop working
Fire436
Post Some gauges stop working
on: October 28, 2021 (GMT)

I have a 2008 Dodge ram 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins.
On my gauge screen I have engine load, turbo boost, tranny temp, coolant temp, gps speed, and device voltage. Sometimes I will loose some of my gauges. GPS speed, tranny temp and device voltage will still show current readings but the rest of the gauges lock at whatever reading they were showing. Green heartbeat light on gauges stop flashes. The few gauges still reading correctly still show flashing heartbeat light. I have switched between my phone and tablet. See condition. I have switched Bluetooth adapters between BAFX and odd2 MX+ . Some thing happens. Sometimes I have all gauges working for approx an hour then the ones listed above stop and other times all gauges only work for 5 minutes. I’m at a loss why I loose half my gauges. I have removed Bluetooth obd devices to reset. Still no gauges. I have shutdown phone and tablet still no change. The only way I can get them all back is close torque pro and remove Bluetooth obd device for approx and hour and restart truck. Then I will get gauges for like I said before and hour or 5 minutes then I loose half of them. Sorry for the long post.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Some gauges stop working

Hi!

If only the TCM is providing readings (voltage and gps are not through OBD, but adapter local and phone local gauges) then it sounds like the ECM dropped of the vehicle network at some point and is no longer readable

This will be why the gauges stop working, if the engine stopped responding to requests then the gauges will stop flashing (they flash when a response for the ECU is received).

This could be:

* The ECM isn’t connected to the vehicle network properly and for some reason isn’t responding

* The adapter isn’t sending commands properly (an issue with the ebay clones due to a mismatch usually between the bluetooth serial speed and the ELM327 clone chip)

* The wrong header being set to talk back to the ECU after talking to the TCM to get the transmission temperature (though this is symptomatic of the previous issue where clone adapters will sometimes not send the correct command)

It’s usually one of the above that will be the issue, given you have a (genuine? OBDLink MX) then I would lean towards the ECU not responding for engine parameters for some reason (the adapter probably starts returning ‘NO DATA’ at that point and the gauges won’t update).

When this happens, without disconnecting that session, what does the ‘Adapter Error Rate’ in the ‘Adapter Information’ screen say?

Fire436
Post Re: Some gauges stop working

Thank you for the quick reply. The adapter error count says 0 errors, 0 other faults. I sent a debugging log. I’m at a loss as it doesn’t matter what device I use, tablet or phone same problem. Also 2 different obd adapters the obdlink MX+ and the BAFX unit. Same problem.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.014 seconds.

Follow me on twitter