Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Android Auto - Any chance given recent changes?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Android Auto - Any chance given recent changes?
Lonx
Post Android Auto - Any chance given recent changes?
on: October 9, 2021 (GMT)

Just thought I’d ask if there’s any update on compatibility to get this set up as a proper app within Android Auto?

I’ve tried the OBD2AA process, as did a mate previously and we both didn’t have a lot of luck there. It’d be amazing if this could be done given the number of head units out there these days running AA.

froschmayer
Post Re: Android Auto - Any chance given recent changes?
on: October 14, 2021 (GMT)

Yes, Torque for Android Auto would be very nice! Is there a chance after loosening of googles restrictions for AA apps?

piemmm
Administrator
on: October 14, 2021 (GMT)

Hi!

I’ve not looked at AA since the initial restrictive set of conditions were applied…

I’ll have another look once the current update (for android 12) is out of beta and see if there’s any chance of getting this done. For interest and reference the restrictions are listed at: https://source.android.com/devices/automotive/driver_distraction/car_uxr

chrisfromwa
on: December 1, 2021 (GMT)

I’m interested in buying Torque Pro but then realized there is no way to display it in Android Auto. Is this still being considered? It’s something that I would really like to have.

Hopefully this is something that can be done, especially since Google now added games to AA and it allows you to play them while the car is moving!

piemmm
Administrator
on: December 4, 2021 (GMT)

This is something that is on my list of things to look into again *real soon now*.

jazclrint
on: December 5, 2021 (GMT)

+1

jazclrint
on: December 5, 2021 (GMT)

I would also like this for my Bolt. I wish more apps were AA compatible.

chrisfromwa
on: December 13, 2021 (GMT)

Thank you for taking another look.
Being able to display the data on the larger screen will be such a great feature.

omega1
on: December 14, 2021 (GMT)

Definitely a +1 from me for Android Auto

Thanks.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

Any app will have to conform to the table on this page to be approvable for Android Auto: https://developer.android.com/docs/quality-guidelines/car-app-quality

If elements on this table say no, then google will not approve the app release

icyhotmike

I think the users of Torque would need to understand that Google is defining the UX for all Android Auto apps and that means you have to play in their ballpark.

Let’s say the car is moving, I imagine the Torque app would only be given a very basic set of available permissions if any at all. It would be like a fixed widget on the screen while the car was moving and then be more like the full blown app when parked.

Those restrictions change based on the various states of the vehicle google has defined (parked, idling, moving).

Torque currently is a fully customizable app and that’s gonna be a problem. I think to get onto AA it would need to slim down to a basic Material designed dashboard with a couple cards that display PID values. It would basically need to look like Google designed it themselves to more easily pass the approval process. I am not sure if AA allows “themes” but I imagine it can use a dark or light mode (just like Google maps).

Hopefully that made sense

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.064 seconds.

Follow me on twitter