Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Engine Load seems too high

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Engine Load seems too high
dale
Post Engine Load seems too high
on: January 4, 2012 (GMT)

I’m using the pro version of Torque with a 2010 Toyota Sienna. I notice that the engine load seems to read too high. For example, when accellerating moderately quickly I can get a reading of 99%, even though I can still accellerate much more rapidly. When crusing the load seems to read high also. I have entered the proper vehicle weight and other information.

How is this calculation performed? On a different vehicle, the load seems to be much more reasonable.

crater
Post Re: Engine Load seems too high
on: January 16, 2012 (GMT)

I’m not sure why your load may read so high other than it is actually fully loaded. I encounter super high load if i put the pedal down in too high a gear. Its called lugging your engine. Mine is an manual so it doesn’t down shift, but i imagine your car is an auto and will downshift when the load gets too high, and then probably drop the load %?

piemmm
Administrator
on: January 16, 2012 (GMT)

Hi!

Engine load is not calculated – it is a direct reading straight from the ECU – it is a combination of airflow / max airflow through the engine (slightly different for diesels as they use fuel flow instead of airflow).

Vehicle manufacturers have also implemented this PID in a variety of slightly different ways, so you may find slightly different behaviours for different vehicles.

You should be able to find more information on wikipedia or the official SAE documentation for engine load.

Gamefanatic
on: February 8, 2012 (GMT)

In my 1996 Taurus SHO the number appears to be useless. I have had it show me 50% or more when I am at a stop sign.

In my 1997 Cadillac SLS it appears to have no problems.

Could it be that it’s looking at or interpretting the wrong PID?

Gamefanatic
on: February 9, 2012 (GMT)

I did another check last night in the ’96 Taurus SHO.

While at a stop light, in neutral it was reading steady around 39%. Then I gave it a little gas to get it up to 2000 RPM’s and the reading went up quickly to 80+ then rolled back over to ~20’s… (Light turned green)… 😉

piemmm
Administrator
on: February 9, 2012 (GMT)

Hi!

No the PID is being read correctly, this is a direct value returned from the engine ECU

Engine load is a function of fuel or air flow / max fuel or airflow (depending on your engine type), not how much ‘power’ the engine is generating. :) – please see the SAE documentation for the full terms for what this PID actually means as the name can be misleading.

mcewena
on: August 19, 2019 (GMT)

The reading seems high on my vehicle as well (Winnebago based on 2006 Sprinter 3500). It only seems to have a loose correlation to the readings I’d traditionally think are directly load related (manifold pressure or turbo boost) and it varies widely on straight/level road sections while using cruise (with minimal wind).

Does the weight entered in the vehicle profile have a bearing on the load reading?

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.049 seconds.

Follow me on twitter