Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » VAGCOM

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: VAGCOM
kabz
Post Re: VAGCOM
on: August 18, 2012 (GMT)

Ok, I just received my WBH BT4 adapter, and it won’t connect to the ECU in my 2012 GTI (US Model).

I see WBH Diag Pro 2.1 as the adapter details, so Torque is paired and talking to the adapter.

I tried a few times, including rebooting my Nexus 7, without further success than just seeing the adapter.

Is there anything else I can try and configure?

Simon
on: August 19, 2012 (GMT)

see the WBH BT4 topic for more info

HectoPascal
on: September 8, 2012 (GMT)

Quote from admin on July 24, 2012
The new updates for VW protocol support are currently only for KWP based vehicles (I need more information for the CANBUS methods before I can implement it, and can say if existing ELM adapters will work with it (at the moment I see no reason why not))

Any news about KWP on ELMs?

kab
on: September 20, 2012 (GMT)

Hi!

I would like to help to add support for VAG cars to Torque.

I have VAG-COM clone cable and software from China.
Also i have custom USB Can Bus Sniffer.
I can sniff traffic between VAG-COM adapter and VAG Unit, but need to know how and what to sniff.

My car is VW Tiguan (platform 5N).

Any help needed?

piemmm
Administrator
on: September 21, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

ELMs wont do KWP1281 (afaik) for VW vehicles, but for VW’s that use CANBUS it should be possible to use them.

For a vehicle that uses KWP you will need the WBH-BT4 adapter which has specific support for that protocol

I’ll be moving to canbus support for VW’s proprietary protocols after I’ve finished off the fault code reading for KW1281 vehicles (subaru canbus support will also be started around this time as well)

petelking
on: September 24, 2012 (GMT)

Quote from admin on September 21, 2012
Hi

ELMs wont do KWP1281 (afaik) for VW vehicles, but for VW’s that use CANBUS it should be possible to use them.

For a vehicle that uses KWP you will need the WBH-BT4 adapter which has specific support for that protocol

I’ll be moving to canbus support for VW’s proprietary protocols after I’ve finished off the fault code reading for KW1281 vehicles (subaru canbus support will also be started around this time as well)

Great News!

Does that mean torque will be able to read all fault codes stored on the ECU as well?

Would be great if you could also add support for the following measurements:

Timing correction (VAGCOM Block 20)
Low Pressure fuel pump pressure in BAR (VAGCOM Block 230)
High Fuel Pressure pump rail pressure in BAR (VAGCOM Block 231)
Misfire counter (VAGCOM Block 15-16)

piemmm
Administrator
on: September 25, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

You can add the measurement blocks yourself at the moment – look on the SD card for the ‘vw-identities’ folder and there should be a file in there (once you have connected once, or just look at this thread for the example file)

You can then modify it to add the specific blocks you want (this is for vehicles that use kw1281(etc) as the ECU protocol. I’m still working on CANBUS support for this, and when done will be significantly faster

Fault codes support is being done – I’m trying to get it into this weekends update, but it’s getting a little close. Hopefully I’ll get it into this update

kab
on: September 25, 2012 (GMT)

Do you need any help with sniffing CAN bus traffic from VAG COM to ECU?

petelking
on: September 26, 2012 (GMT)

Can’t find the vw-identities file under .torque (I use root explore and can see hidden files) but my car is also a 2007 so it uses canbus not kw, does that matter or should I see the file anyway?

Edited: ok i see this currently only works with kw so I’ll wait for canbus support which will turn this software to the best vag diagnostic tool ever, about time ross tech had some competition!

Thanks

jazd
on: October 7, 2012 (GMT)

Ian, any news on getting the VW specific extensions working using the ELM327 over CAN (KWP-2089)?

Is this something that could maybe be done via the plugin interface?

The K-Line is just too slow for displaying data.

Dicko
on: October 8, 2012 (GMT)

Hi, Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I am not clear on how to use this system with VW vehicles. I have a 2003 VW T4 transporter and thought I would try this app on it with a basic ebay BT ODBII module.
It connects to the ECU without issue and reads a number of parameters and shows it is connected with an ISO protocol however it doesn’t recognise the vehicle etc.
When i check the basic data such as rpm against my analog dash unit they seem to match so I guess it is getting some of the information. Am I getting a reduced version of the data the ECU can provide due to the type of BT module I am using? Looking at the other posts in this thread I should be using a different module but, as I am getting some information from the ECU, is this correct or have I simply not set my system up correctly.

Any help much appreciated.
Regards
David

docromano
on: October 9, 2012 (GMT)

@dicko
http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=631.0

2006 Audi A6 2.7 TDI , VCDS available.

Dicko
on: October 9, 2012 (GMT)

@docromano
Thanks for the pointer. So, if I understand it correctly, the BT module I have can read some data from the VW ECU but cannot read fault code data etc. at this moment in time. This is a due to the software in the torque app rather than the module – correct?
Do you think this an impossible hurdle to overcome or will the developer be able or willing to solve this problem in the near future?
Once again, many thanks
David

jazd
on: October 10, 2012 (GMT)

Ian – Let me know if you want me to test anything. I’ve got a ECU hooked up to a ELM327. I’m gonna try and read some VW blocks from it over CAN.

jazd
on: October 11, 2012 (GMT)

Bbbump. Connected a VCDS cable up to the ECU as well as the ELM. I’ve logged it trying to connect but VCDS isn’t getting a reply. I think the ECU might be listening for a different CAN ID (VCDS is setting CAN ID to 200) and it must get translated as it goes through the CAN GW.

Might have to wait till I get my Y-Cable and hook it up to my car proper.

To implement VW block reading over CAN I think you will have to implement VW TP 2.0 as this seems to be what VCDS uses. Which means you have to set the ELM327 to a user mode and do it all manually. OBD uses the ISO transport protocol (ISO 15765-2) which the ELM does automatically.

piemmm
Administrator
on: October 12, 2012 (GMT)

That’s pretty cool – I’m lacking the information on how to configure the ELM to send/receive the CAN messages that VW expect their protocol to do atm (I only have the older KWP ecu’s on my desk atm)

I’m imagining that it’s going to be very similar to the KWP protocol (just wapped up in a CAN frame instead) – like the SSM protocol on newer subarus going from their old ISO protocol to CANBUS too

jazd

I’m pretty close to getting it working now. I’ll let you know how it goes. Main difficulty is that VW uses its own transport protocol on top of the can which is different to the ISO protocol used for OBD.

joriws

(I am not a reseller or anything, just happy end user)

Are you aware that you could get cheap logic analyzer at http://www.saleae.com. Best of all it can decode CAN bus traffic among other protocols.

In my opinion you would get easy decoded access to communication what VCDS etc are doing with ECU.

http://www.saleae.com/logic/features

With this Ian could also see that ELM/BT-H4 is correctly communicating to ECU if there is a problem etc.

jazd

Don’t see how it is applicable to be honest. I’m more interested in grabbing a PCI card or USB adapter that is supported by the Linux SocketCAN drivers/layer.

joriws

I hope that you noticed that particular logic analyzer software has Linux support (Ubuntu download). And it is multiuse hardware for other IO-projects as well. You could even hook it up inside your ECU, not just bus adapter.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.101 seconds.

Follow me on twitter