Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » VAGCOM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: VAGCOM
petelking
Post Re: VAGCOM
on: May 25, 2012 (GMT)

Are you using vcds lite? If I remember correctly it will show the init at the left side of the screen (assuming that we are talking about the same thing)

gasketse
on: May 25, 2012 (GMT)

yeah we are all waiting for it :) Thanks for working on that protocol :)

piemmm
Administrator
on: May 26, 2012 (GMT)

slightly different things :-)

The init starts with twiddling one of the data lines to the ECU for a set amount of time (as I don’t have any documentation on how the 409.1 cable works) I’m having to play around with looking at how I can directly drive it (via the usb-serial chip on the adapter) – once this bit is done, the rest should be pretty quick to do as the protocol itself is fairly straightforward (though a bit inefficient)

Tom B
on: May 26, 2012 (GMT)

Hi Ian,

I’ve been watching this thread on and off, glad to know you’re making progress.

not sure if this answers your problems at all but just in case it helps, here is what I figured out:

Transmitting:
My cheap blue pass-through adapter sends everything from Tx onto K and L (and thus back to Rx) simultaneously – but you don’t need to worry about this, just let it send init and all subsequent data to both lines and it seems work OK (or at least my 2001 UK spec passat does not seem to object to this abuse of the L line).

receiving:
My adapter seems to feed K and L through to Rx in unsynchronized OR, but this should not be a problem because the ECUs should never transmit on L, so Rx should thus only ever see signals coming from K.

but remember K is half-duplex where serial is full-duplex so you have to idle (or send continuous 00s to) the Tx line in order to listen for & receive the reply on Rx.

Initiation:
The simple method generating the initiation sequence would be sending many consecutive 00s and ffs to build up the required waveform? so each bit of the 5 baud initiation would be 130 consecutive 00s or ffs at 10400 baud serial?

hardware:
If you need to know more about how the USB-serial interface is implemented in the lead, mine is driven by an FT232BL, so maybe try the datasheets for this chip. The manufacturer claims to have virtual COM drivers available for Linux 2.4+ kernels (as well as windows and mac)

Tom

vis
on: May 27, 2012 (GMT)

Hello,
I still did not get if Torque will work on my 2010 VW Polo TSI.
I already own a VCDS – VAG-COM clone device with USB plug that I used for error scan and clear, enabling/disabling some functions like seatbelt warning, DRLs, ecc…

Can I plug my VCDS clone device via USB adapter to my Android phone and use it with Torque?

Or will Torque work via BlueTooth only?

And most importantly, is Torque compatible with VW OBD ?

Sorry if this has been already asked elsewhere, thanks.

docromano

Can I plug my VCDS clone device via USB adapter to my Android phone and use it with Torque?

No.

Or will Torque work via BlueTooth only?
Yes.

And most importantly, is Torque compatible with VW OBD ?

You do get OBD data, but nothing more. At the moment, no error scan, no coding. Just a few parameters that are sent via OBD

2006 Audi A6 2.7 TDI , VCDS available.

piemmm
Administrator

@vis

The 2010 VW should be OBD2 compliant, so you will be able to use an ELM327 adapter and get Torque to talk to it without issue (most petrols from 1996 and diesels from 2004 will be OBD2 compliant due to EU and US legeslation requiring it for vehicles in those countries)

As to VW groups proprietary diagnostic protocol (which is not OBD2, but usually also supported on vehicles that are OBD2 compliant), which should allow greater access to the vehicle – it’s a work in progress at the moment

vis

Thank you for your quick reply.

All I want to do is to play around a bit with the data available and monitor temps (intake, water, oil – not critical for refresh rate) and possibly turbo boost.

Sadly with modern cars the trend is to cut instrumentation, but with Torque we can get a load!

I’ve always had a sweet spot for gauges…

So do you think that with an ELM327 bluetooth dongle could I get to the point?

piemmm
Administrator

You should be fine with those, apart from oil (not many vehicles support oil in the normal OBD2 implementations)

zeros
on: June 9, 2012 (GMT)

Hi, I have an ELM327 and a Golf III ’97, will Torque work with my car and ELM327?
On the free version it says connected to adapter but no connection to ECU.

madmatt
on: July 9, 2012 (GMT)

Hi piemmm, just wondering if there has been much progress with supporting the vag com cables? I’ve bought torque pro hoping it might at some stage, as I have an ecu that doesn’t like to talk to elm327 adapters (05 Subaru wrx).

Currently I have an ebay 409.1 kkl vag com cable which works fine logging data using a windows/linux java program called romraider. The cable has the standard FTDI 232RL USB to serial chip, and a lm339 quad comparator to handle the communication with the ecu.

I should be able to get the source code for romraider which can show how the data is read and sent to the cable if that helps.

wtrjock

I would also like Torque to be able to do adaptions on my 2007 Audi S4. If you need any help with testing let me know.

I have a bluetooth dongle from eBay and a HTC EVO 4G LTE.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

Don’t get the source, that’s bad and puts the app at risk, but I do have some more on this now.

The 409.1 (usb) cable is giving some grief at the 5 baud init (I have to talk directly to the FTDI chip and ask it to twiddle data lines). At the moment this isn’t going so well,..

*but* someone has pointed me at a potentially better solution, which should hopefully be arriving today/tomorrow – a compatible bluetooth adapter (more preferred as it removes the mess of cables, and also does the 5 baud init on the adapter itself).

Once it arrives in the next day or so(and I’ve confirmed it does what I want), development should be *very* fast for adding support (possibly less than 2 weeks before you get something)

madmatt
on: July 10, 2012 (GMT)

Probably should have mentioned that romraider is open source :)
Sounds like things are looking promising then. Any chance of a link to buy the bluetooth adapter, would be nice to get rid of the cables?

If you need any help testing I’m also happy to help.

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 10, 2012 (GMT)

Hi!

I have a new adapter type that takes the pain out of this now. I’ve tested and the good news is that it is now very feasible for it to work with the app (it’s literally just a matter of plugging it into the app, which is very straightforward – I’ve already got it working with some test code)

I’m going to say you’ll see something in about a month (mainly to get this all plugged into the app nicely. This may be completed sooner, but I don’t want to get expectations too high :-))

rindiesel
on: July 11, 2012 (GMT)

Great seeing this develop!

Quick question, as this is the one thing I’ve been after since I bought the app almost 2 years ago:

Oil temps..I know that the option is now available in the app, but it does not work for my MK4 R32.

Will this development/integration help with that issue? :)

Best of luck in the mean time, loving this!

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 14, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

If the oil temperatures are available in the message blocks that VW use, then the answer will be yes.

I’ve now got the app talking to the adapter happily and requesting message blocks – the only thing left to do now is work out what each one is (unfortunately VW seems to have made these different for nearly every model of ECU they use in their vehicles, so initial support will be sparse
(it’ll talk and pull values, but you may need to find out what those values ‘are’. Fortunately you are given units to work with by the ECU, so this should not be too difficult).

orbit84
on: July 16, 2012 (GMT)

Wowowow!!! I am so excited for this update. I already love torque and this will make it even better. You will get a large following in the VW/Audi scene for sure if this ends up working as you say.

Can you please tell us what sort of adapter will be required to get these additional features? (or will it work with normal bluetooth elm327?)

I am also interested in Oil Temp, actual MAP boost, requested boost, and tire pressures at each wheel from the TPMS, if they are reported.

Have you guys seen this thread over on GolfMkV:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101718

It looks like they are making good progress on decoding some of the CAN signals and protocols.

rindiesel
on: July 16, 2012 (GMT)

Thanks for the reply!

If you need me to do any beta-testing, feel free to drop me an email: rindiesel@gmail.com

The ECU is from a MK4 Golf R32, so this should be similar to the entire Golf 4 line (which is a pretty popular platform i guess)

All the best :)

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 17, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

1.6.2 is now out which contains (very beta!) support for this(there will be bugs) – you’ll need a specific adapter – ‘WBH-BT4’ from http://www.obd2-shop.eu/wbhbt4-p-213.html?language=en

There’s no fault code support (yet, but this is really easy to add and will be going in)

The first drop of this support only connects to the engine controller and reads blocks off from there (you can select the block to view in the ‘realtime information’ screen.
At the moment, the blocks are default unnamed as each ECU has different meanings for each block, however, if you look in the .torque/vw-identities folder on the SD card, you will find an example file which will allow you to customise the blocks with descriptions you like.
You can get the ECU id from the ‘Adapter Status’ screen once connected to the vehicle (it will list the ecu id, workshop code and software codings in that screen)

The adapter can occasionally lock-up when first connecting to the ECU. This means that it will just stop responding to Torque. Unplugging and re-plugging the adapter clears this issue and Torque will then be able to reconnect to it. The KW1281 (older vehicles) isn’t the fastest protocol, (KW2000 vehicles should be a bit quicker)

I hope to add more support to this as the week goes on – if you make an ‘identity’ file and would like to share, please feel free to send it to me ian@prowl.org and i’ll include it in the next update(s)!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.071 seconds.

Follow me on twitter