Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » elm 327 usb adapter

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: elm 327 usb adapter
piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: elm 327 usb adapter
on: January 18, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

Yes and ‘maybe’ – the speed that Torque can read PIDs is limited by the adapter type and the vehicle ECU.

Now, just to point this out, the OBDLink MX can read at speeds around 50PIDs/second (over bluetooth on android handsets) when connected to an ECU that can supply the data fast enough (this is most CANBUS based vehicles)

The clone adapters can manage about 20 PIDs/second over bluetooth, I haven’t tried a clone over USB(yet), but I have tried the scantool.net OBDLink (not MX) over USB and bluetooth, and there is a definite improvement in speed, the results I found were as follows(on an ECU or emulated ECU that can supply data fast enough):

OBDLink over bluetooth: 24 to 30PIDs/second
OBDLink over USB: 50-60 PIDs/second

The speed limitation is in part the bluetooth chip and androids drivers. The OBDLink MX can manage about 50PIDs/second over bluetooth depending on the android handset used (androids bluetooth is still maturing), so bluetooth has the ability to do really well if the drivers improve for it.

Not having tested the clone adapters fully over USB (I have one on order) I expect they will do better but not as good as the OBDLink products (which have been heavily optimised for speed). I will be able to post numbers once I have received something to play with

Now the ECU can also be a limiting factor. With the OBDLink MX, my old smart roadster can only manage about 7.5 PIDs/second. This is mainly due to the speed at which the ECU supplies the data and not the adapter. This is also not using the CANBUS protocol (which newer ECUs use on most manufacturers vehicles as everyone is moving to it)

In my (better half’s) smart fortwo, which is CANBUS based, I get 50PIDs/second through the same adatper, over bluetooth.

So, the factors that affect speed are:

* The connection type you are using (but bluetooth has been demonstrated to have the capability to be really fast)
* The adapter you are using. (Some adapters are faster than others)
* The capabilities of the ECU for sending the data and the protocol it uses

Hope this helps

Regards,

Ian

dzavalin
on: January 19, 2012 (GMT)

Ian, thank your very much for your help and time! I find the way how to change the baudrate on my adapter to 115200 and its working now with your program! For changing the baudrates of usb adapters by your program and chek if is working, you can use AT commands such as:
1. Temporary change and test
>AT BRD hh [ try Baud Rate Divisor hh ]
This command is used to change the RS232 baud
rate divisor to the hex value provided by hh. The actual
baud rate (in kbps) will be 4000 divided by this divisor.
For example, a setting of 115.2kbps would require a
divisor of 4000/115.2 or 35. In hexadecimal notation,
35 is written as 23, so the actual command that needs
to be sent would be AT BRD 23.
2. Permanently (as I made)
>AT PP 0C SV 23
then enable the new value for use:
>AT PP 0C ON
And reconnect the adapter.

iqlogic
on: January 23, 2012 (GMT)

Hi,

will work USB connection on every Android 4.0 device? I have Xperia Arc S which have some support of USB host but I’m actually running on Android 2.3.4 and your SW doesn’t support USB connection on Gingerbread.

Can I use cables on the links below? Or it is only for PC?
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/obdii-usb-car-diagnostic-cable-blue-42823

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AL-OBDII-USB-1-5V-ELM327-Auto-Car-Diagnostic-Inspection-/110795299681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cbea1b61#ht_4459wt_1037

VW Golf Mk4

theDurk
on: January 24, 2012 (GMT)

I just want to say “Thanks” for the update. It actually came through late last night as I was futzing with it (unsuccessfully) trying to change the adapter to 115k BAUD. It didn’t want to do it. It says 38400 BAUD on the back label so I think maybe it can’t. I switched Torque to 38400 with the new update and all works perfectly. Acer Iconia A500 (Honeycomb) to cheapo eBay orange/blue USB adapter to ’99 4Runner. It does everything my old BR-3 did, and more.

MPS_Fan
on: February 10, 2012 (GMT)

today my cheap ELM327 USB Adapter arrived. I tested it with my Mazdaspeed 3. It makes constant 40-50PID/s. Thats amazing !

I also ordered a newer Cheap Bluetooth Clone Adapter. This one:

i get with this one 27PID/s. So it is about 3 times faster than my old cheap china Bluetooth Adapter. Also i get no errors. With the old one i got sometimes connection problems in fast communication mode.

MPS_Fan
on: February 12, 2012 (GMT)

Another Update:
Tested today 115 and 230k baud. With 115kbaud i get 57PID/s and with 230k baud 67PID/s. Also want to try 460k baud, but i am scared that i will lose connection and have to open the adapter to reset it to 38k baud.

Anderson
on: May 5, 2012 (GMT)

Quote from iqlogic on January 23, 2012
Hi,

will work USB connection on every Android 4.0 device? I have Xperia Arc S which have some support of USB host but I’m actually running on Android 2.3.4 and your SW doesn’t support USB connection on Gingerbread.

Can I use cables on the links below? Or it is only for PC?
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/obdii-usb-car-diagnostic-cable-blue-42823

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AL-OBDII-USB-1-5V-ELM327-Auto-Car-Diagnostic-Inspection-/110795299681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cbea1b61#ht_4459wt_1037

Hi, i have car audio running on Android 2.3.4 too. Version of Toruqe 1.5.58 and it doesn’n support my USB Elm327 cabel. Please help me with this problem. Thank you very much.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

You won’t be able to use USB on anything less than Android 3.1 (which has the USB API), so Android 2.3.4 won’t work with USB as it doesn’t have the OS support for it

The requirements for USB are:

* An android device running at least Android 3.1 and supports USB ‘Host’ mode

* An ELM327 compatible USB adapter which uses a ‘Prolific’ or ‘FTDI’ usb to serial chip inside it

* (if you have a mini usb connector only) a USB ‘OTG’ converter cable that will let you connect a normal USB device (you can find these on ebay)

* Torque Pro

That’s about it, if you have Torque pro, plug the USB device in and it should then ask to start Torque. Go into the settings, set Torque up to use USB (and then scroll down and select the USB device) and you should then be able to connect to the USB adapter!

Anderson

I am willing to pay for work on finalizing the program to work with Android 2.3.4 :-)

DicDic
on: June 6, 2012 (GMT)

Hi
I have a problem:
I have:
-An smartphone Samsung gs2 updated on ics 4.0.3
-An ELM327 compatible USB adapter which uses a ‘FTDI’ usb to serial chip inside it (on win7 system managment result) and tested on another win prgrams
-an mini USB OTG converter cable

Torque pro don’t see adpter,
when plug ELM327 in the miniUSB converter it’s light red on but phone don’t generate any pop up or other reaction
if I plug Elm327 in the car i have some Yellow lamp after only red but not other on the phone
I have tryed enter in torque, change baud rate at 38400, plug , unplug, quit, reboot……etc
but telephone don’t comunicate with Elm327
have any solution?

Italy

Turningjohn
on: June 21, 2012 (GMT)

Hi Ian I have downloaded the free version of Torque to check to see if my USB adapter ELM 327 works with it, having looked around this forum I haven’t been able to find how to change the input for this application. I do understand what has been said here earlier but the only Options I have are to either Add, Remove or Move the displays on my tablet. Is there a way to use the USB version of the ELM 327 with the free version of Torque please?
Thanks John.

piemmm
Administrator
on: June 21, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

The free version currently doesn’t support USB, it’s only in the pro version (due to the extra development initially required for this) – I’ll be porting it to the lite version in the next update cycle for the lite version though.

Turningjohn
on: June 22, 2012 (GMT)

Thanks Ian I will look forward to it. I have had a few problems with other OBDII reader programs on my PC so I want to confirm that the ELM 327 that I have will actually work with Torque before I get the Pro.
Thanks again.
John.

Turningjohn
on: June 24, 2012 (GMT)

Hi again Ian, I have gone ahead and downloaded Torque Pro and having selected the USB Interface and adjusted to various Baud rates I still cannot connect with my ELM 327 interfaced to my OBD connector getting the error unable to connect to the ECU or similar. The information that I have on my ELM 327 is :- ELM 327 v 1.4a OBDI to RS232 Interpreter, Protocol ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 Bit ID 500K Bt/s, OBD System EOBD (Europe). With this information can you tell me how to connect my system which is running Android 4.0.4 on an A1CS Fusion5 Premium 10″ tablet.
I have been able to use the ELM 327 adapter with a program called ScanTool on my laptop at a baud rate of 38400 but even that rate doesn’t allow me to connect to Torque.
What do you suggest?
Thank you, John.

Turningjohn
on: June 24, 2012 (GMT)

Ian, further to my earlier post, on activating the Torque pro app I get the message :- “Unfortunately Google TTS Engine has stopped.” Does this mean anything to you?
Thanks John.

piemmm
Administrator
on: June 25, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

Yes – on some vehicles (CANBUS) ones, you should see a faster read speed as it removes some of the latency of the bluetooth radio used on the bluetooth adapters (though the speed isn’t a fault of bluetooth – it’s an adapter thing. With the OBDLink MX on bluetooth, you can get upwards of 50PIDs/second on a canbus vehicle)

On vehicles using older protocols (like ISO9141) you may not see much of an increase in speed. This is because the ISO9141 protocol the ECU uses is quite slow

alexjohn517
on: June 25, 2012 (GMT)

Quote from admin on January 17, 2012
Hi!

When the OBD adapter is plugged into the tablet, it should pop up a box asking if you want to start torque. Is it doing this? If you start torque before the adapter is connected, it may not see it.

Once the app has started, go into the settings->OBD2 settings, and make sure you have USB enabled, then scroll to the bottom and select the USB device to use. This only needs to be done once ever.

After that, quit the app, and unplug the cable. Then, every time you plug the USB adapter in, the app should start and immediately connect to it

thanks piemmm, let me know more

Nothing is impossible!

Turningjohn
on: June 30, 2012 (GMT)

Hi Thanks but still no luck connecting my ELM 327 interface.
With my tablet turned on but Torque not yet selected I plug in the ELM 327 to the tablet, on either the micro usb port or the micro host port and I get one red light on the adapter. If I plug in the adapter to the OBD II port on the car without it being connected to the tablet I get a quick series of red and yellow lights ending with just the same one red light showing.
The same thing happens if I connect to the OBD II post while the USB connector is attached to the tablet. At no time does the Torque application respond to the plugging in of the adapter to the tablet or even when plugging or unplugging the adapter to the car.
I have opened up the adapter and the chips that I can read are :-
Large chip PIC 18F2480-1/SO 11170JW
Medium chip FTDI 1121-C GN091281 FT 232RL
Small chip LM 317 PN FSL

Oval shaped cans L 12000 and JF4M13E17A
The board states ELM 327 V3.0
Tha adapter says it supports all OBDII Protocols.
Now WHY would it not work when I have all that information?
Any help would be appreciated. John

Eric
on: July 1, 2012 (GMT)

Have you tried connecting the ELM327 to a PC instead of tablet? If it works on PC then the ELM is fine. There are a lot of free PC ELM software that you can test with.

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 1, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

Testing on a PC will rule out any issues with the adapter so you’ll know if it’s a good one or not…

Have you configured Torque to use the correct baud rate for the adapter? If it’s a clone adapter, then the baud rates for them are either 9600 or 19200 (the default in Torque is 115200 which is likely too fast if you are using a clone)

Set the baud rate in the settings before plugging the adapter in (ideally, set the baud rate, quit the app, then plug the adapter in) the app should auto-start when the adapter is connected and if you have the correct baud rate selected you should then be up and running!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.07 seconds.

Follow me on twitter