Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Cannot 'CONNECT' PSUEDO "PID" to gauge

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cannot 'CONNECT' PSUEDO "PID" to gauge
F-150Torqued
Post Cannon get "PSUEDO PID" to display formula result
on: May 28, 2020 (GMT)

I have created a “Psuedo” PID (with Mode/PID field blank) that is saved and displays in the custom ‘Manage Extra PIDs’ selection, and in the ADD – ‘select PID’ scroll screen. I can ADD a gauge to dashboards for it. But the formula result DOES NOT register on the created gauge. I can even long tap on the gauge, select >Display Configuration, >Jump to Pid Editor and get to the PSUEDO PID as normal. The TEST button displays the calculations and observe the formula produce a meaningful result.
BUT the gauge on the dashboard displays NOTHING, No dynamic reading, no Min/Max — NOTHING.

It is as though the formula Parser ‘doesn’t know’ where the gauge is located ???? Any Ideas for a fix?

EDIT: Version is 1.10.114 running on Samsung S9+, Android 10
————————–

Capp777
Post Re: Cannot

If you post the details you used, I can
try to recreate the problem on my
devices.

F-150Torqued
Post Re: Cannot get "PSUEDO PID" to display formula result

As always, Greatly appreciated @Capp777.

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150 Lariat 2wd Auto, 5.4L V8
Problem: The PID from the FORD SET, “Volumetric Efficiency (Calculated)” does not function (Reads ZERO). I cannot get to its formula or via editor. Also – Absolute Load (which I “THINK” is essentially the same thing, does ot function (Reads ZERO).

Using everything I know, (which you can easily scribe on the back of a 3 cent postage stamp), PLUS lots of smarts from ….

https://x-engineer.org/automotive-engineering/internal-combustion-engines/performance/calculate-volumetric-efficiency/

I added a custom PID as follows:

Mode/PID ‘blank’
Long Name _Volumetric Efficiency ……
…………..(I use a leading underscore to set apart ALL “MY” custom PIDs and sort ahead of standard ones.)
Short Name _Vol-Eff
Min 0.0
Max 100
Scale Factor 1
Unit Type %
Equation ((Val{Mass Air Flow Rate}/1000}^3/((Val{Barometric Pressure})*0.0338639*2))/(((Val{Barometric Pressure})*0.0338639/286.9)*((Val{Intake Air Temperature})+273.15)*(0.054))^3))*((Val{Engine RPM}/60)*2)

……………. (Equation Not perfected yet, though produces an ‘in-the ballpark’ result
……………. in the range (17.xxx at idle – to MUCH TOO HIGH greater than 100%
……………. at elevated throttle) in the TEST screen. But VERY difficult
……………. to work with without a visual analogue gauge to see results.
…………….This is not the fundamental problem though, and has obviously been edited many times.

Header Auto
Diag Start ‘blank’
Diag Start ‘blank’
Remember equation ‘blank’

The RESULT: The formula finds each of the PIDs {specified by long name} and as observed in TEST screen calculates the inputs down to a result that appears — semi reasonable. But ANY GAUGE TYPE that I have ‘linked’ to the PSUEDO PID displays ZERO all the time. Even modifying the formula changes the TEST screen result – still the Gauge on the dashboard (deleted and recreated several times) continues to display ZERO.

It would be most helpful in refining my formula to observe the result on an analogue gauge instead of the jumping around complicated screen in TEST mode. It is as though the formula parser formats and deposits the result in the wrong memory address.

What can I try?

——————————————

cintakc

Equation ((Val{Mass Air Flow Rate}/1000}^3……
one brace is open and two are closed “{}}”

F-150Torqued

THANK YOU for the sharp eye @Cintakc – you ‘Eagle Eye’.

Actually that is a ‘fickle finger’ TYPO in the post. I quickly verified in the equation field of Torque Pro and it is a “)”. And I have some “screenshots” of the TEST screen trying to slow things down and keep from making me dizzy. The formula has the ‘)’ there, and is picking up the value of Mass Air Flow Rate as it should.

I may have to employ your help again – on this one as I did on the quad spline formula for OIL TEMP.

Cheers my friend.

F-150Torqued

————————

Capp777

I noticed the brace issue too while trying
to recreate pid.

I am getting NaN on last test line, probably
because Im testing offline.

I would like to try putting constants in place
of Val{} if typical values were known.

As a quick test I added a positive value at
the end of the equation to see if the display
updated. Nope.

Mass Air Flow = 60 ?
Barometric Pressure =14.7 ?
Intake Air Temperature = 120 ?
Engine RPM =1600 ?

Edit:

Used constants above in place of Val{}s and
added a constant at the end. This time the
display updated. Verified by changing the
constant value.

cintakc
on: May 29, 2020 (GMT)

F-150Torqued
try this equations
(Val{Mass Air Flow Rate}*0.001*2*100)/(((Val{Intake Manifold Pressure}*1000)/(286.9*(Val{Intake Air Temperature}+273.15)))*(0.0054*(Val{Engine RPM}/60)))

provided that for these parameters you have such units
Val{Mass Air Flow Rate} = grams/sec
Val{Intake Manifold Pressure} = Kpa
Val{Intake Air Temperature} = Deg.C

F-150Torqued

I can’t thank you guys enough @Capp777 and @Cinatkc

You had already helped me figure out the reason my gauge displayed NOTHING was because you can’t rely on a gauge to refine a TOTALLY screwed up equation.

I’ll have some time later today to work with Cintakc’s equation. I’m thinking I have to ‘tweak’ with Manifold Pressure – as all I have to work with is a standard Torque calculation from ‘Boost’ and I “THINK” the result is in InHG. I’ll create a test gauge and see what I figure out about that.

Thanks a million

———————————–

F-150Torqued
Post GOT CLOSE - but no pop-sickle

Hey @Cintakc

For ‘sure’ the answer to dashboard gauge displaying NOTHING (ZERO) was simply an equation that was TOO screwed up for Torque to handle it at ALL.

Manifold Pressure (pid ‘0B’) is unavailable (reads zero) on my specific vehicle. I substituted (Val{Turbo Boost & Vacuum Gauge}*6.89476) in your formula in place of ‘Val{Manifold Pressure}’. I have my system parameter set to use PSI instead of Kpa. With the Substituted parameters, Turbo Boost & Vacuum Guage was reading ~ -12.1 at idle and around -83 kpa as viewed with Torque Scan.

MAF runs ~ 6.1 to 6.8 g/s at idle.
Intake Air Temp runs ~ 100 to 120 f idling and moving it tracks outside air temp (~ upper 89 – mid 90’s here in South Texas).

Idle RPM runs ~ 580.

The formula generated VERY small negative results, -0.003 up to zero with some acceleration. There was some confusion between the formula and screen shots on Mass Flow Rate multipliers (100 versus 1000). I tried both with very little, but expected results.

I have NOT had a chance to try hard to understand the complete equation yet. I’ll get my ‘dementia exercises’ tonight.

In the meantime — Thanks.

————————

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.035 seconds.

Follow me on twitter