Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » No ECU found on restart

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No ECU found on restart
DaveDammit
Post No ECU found on restart
on: January 19, 2020 (GMT)

I have an Eonon 9850 head unit running Android 9.0. in a 2003 BMW 330Xi (US).
Bought BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter after the little clear Chinese ELM one was unstable.
Torque Pro connects fine at startup, but if I stop and shut off the car for a short period of time (refueling, go to a grocery store, etc.), Torque Pro will look for a connection for a bit, ‘Checking proto ISO9141 – 2 5 baud’then say something to the effect of:
“No response from ECU. Check correct adapter is selected”, then suggest that I check adapter or reboot unit.
If I take a paperclip and restart the head unit, all is fine, until I switch off the ignition again. It works fine if the car is off for an extended period, such as overnight.
I have tried enabling/disabling anything and everything in the app settings and the head unit setting that I could think of over the past 2 weeks. Set head unit to ‘auto sleep’, also tried ‘shut down after 30 seconds’, and after one hour. No luck.
No Bluetooth device is selected as of now. I had the paired OBD2 checked, but left it unchecked when I uninstalled and reinstalled Torque Pro for about the 5th time, since uninstalling is the only way that I see to uncheck it.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Capp777
Post Re: No ECU found on restart
on: January 19, 2020 (GMT)

Have you tried setting the correct
protocol in the vehicle profile?

DaveDammit
on: January 20, 2020 (GMT)

Thanks for the quick response.
I’m OK with tech, but I admit that I don’t know what you’re talking about.
I do not recall seeing a screen about selecting a protocol, and was under the impression that Torque did not absolutely require a vehicle profile, although I did enter as much info about my car as I could such as weight, engine, transmission, etc.
I’ll check into that.
I’m curious as to why it finds everything fine on initial startup – pretty much instantly get “Connected to ECU OK” – but can’t do the same after a quick shutdown. I don’t know whether it’s the app or the head unit software.

EDIT:

I did find the protocol settings, and tried “automatic”, “fast Automatic” and ‘ISO9141 – 2 5 baud’. Same results for all three; connects fine after a reboot of head unit, but ‘no response’ if I shut the car off for 30 seconds and restart.. Reboot unit, and all is fine again.
If it matters, All works fine in the phone, it’s just the head unit with the screwy connection thing.
There is a blue ‘OBD’ icon lit on the unit, so I think the unit knows that the adapter is there, but Torque gets lost somehow.

Capp777

Look under Adapter Status icon
information while successfully
connected to your vehicle to see
which protocol is in use. Set the
vehicle profile to use correct protocol.

The automatic search may be settling
on the wrong protocol or confusing
the network.

Setting the specific protocol eliminates
the auto search. Also using vehicle profile
allows you to load pids and displays for
different vehicles.

I would even set the specific adapter to use
in the vehicle profile.

If the problem is with the head unit and
Torque app… not sure what is causing the
issue.

DaveDammit

Thank you very much for the tips.
I tried “ISO9141 – 2 5 baud”, which was what was connecting, and just for kicks, I tried all the others as well.
I have put it back to the ‘ISO9141 – 2 5 baud’ and will keep looking at the head unit for what might be causing this.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.018 seconds.

Follow me on twitter