Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » transmission temp 2017 Fiat 124 Spider

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: transmission temp 2017 Fiat 124 Spider
sharkcohen
Post transmission temp 2017 Fiat 124 Spider
on: October 22, 2019 (GMT)

Hi all. I have a 2017 Fiat 124 Spider, and I have recently started using Torque Pro with an OBDLink MX. I am particularly interested in monitoring automatic transmission fluid temperature. The 124 is a love child of Fiat and Mazda, so a lot of things that work on other Fiats don’t seem to work on the 124. Torque reports the OBD protocol as ISO15765-4CAN11/500. There is a temp sensor in the valve body of the transmission, and the service manual specifies to read the transmission temp with a scan tool when servicing the fluid.

Transmission Temperature(Method 1) is showing temperature data, but I am suspicious as to whether or not it is just calculated from coolant temperature. The transmission temp follows the coolant temp and lags behind as much as 4 degrees, but quickly catches up and equalizes. This morning when I powered on the car I did note that trans temp was showing 62.6 and coolant temp was 64.4 before I started the car. So, maybe I am really getting data from the transmission, but I just don’t know how Transmission Temperature(Method 1) works and if it is really reading from the transmission fluid sensor.

Any insight and help would be appreciated. Thank you.

danielfbahr
Post Re: transmission temp 2017 Fiat 124 Spider
on: October 23, 2019 (GMT)

It sounds like you are using the standard generic pids, if so you need to find the custom advanced pid for your vehicle.

Go to settings and select manage extra PIDS/sensors. You can add a predefined set but i don’t think there is one for Fiat.

If you search around the net and find the obd pid ie 22 1940 is for GM you can create a custom pid for trans temp.

danielfbahr

My trans temp rises slowly compared with coolant temp.

Even with a heat ex-changer in the radiator it takes longer for the trans temp to get to operating temp. Depending on ambient temp etc.

I think you’re probably correct in your thinking with it being calculated on coolant temp. Unless you’re vehicle operates alot differently to mine.

danielfbahr

There is a predefined set for Chrylser/Dodge/Jeep/Mercedes it may offer some use as Chrysler owns Fiat.

However it is possible it could use Mazda PID also if you say it has been co developed.

With my vehicle it isn’t fully sae standard compliant in some aspects including the trans temp so I couldn’t find a custom pid for mine. You may be in the same boat, but being a 2017 vehicle I would say you should be able to.

sharkcohen

Thanks for the reply. I have found a Mazda custom PID for trans temp and am going to try it out. Fingers crossed.

danielfbahr

There is a fiat plugin for fiat.

Go to settings, plugins, installed plugins, then scroll down and select get plugins

This will take you to wiki page.

Scroll down find the plugin in for fiat

There will be a link to download the app.

It mentions trans temp.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.882 seconds.

Follow me on twitter