Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » My OBD" device cannot connect to my ECU... WHY!!!?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My OBD" device cannot connect to my ECU... WHY!!!?
wawawiwa
Post My OBD" device cannot connect to my ECU... WHY!!!?
on: October 19, 2011 (GMT)

as it says in the topic…

It’s an Elm327 Interface bluetooth.

My Htc incredible s finds the device and connects to it but after it checks for all kind of protocols it says that it can’t connect to the ECU…

Anyone?

It’s an VW Polo 98.. And it should be OBD2 compatible, cause they said so in the VW workshop

red913
Post Re: My OBD" device cannot connect to my ECU... WHY!!!?

I have issues with that sometimes. I’ve found that all you can do is just disconnect the BT transmitter from the car and turn reconnect it again. That helps sometimes. Also, keep the App running while doing this. That was what I did and it worked for me.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

This is usually down to one of these reasons:

* The OBD device isn’t working for that particular protocol (this happens a lot with the J1850-PWM protocol which ford uses, with the chinese clone adapters). These adapters can also have various comms issues making the ability to connect to the ECU intermittent

* There is an issue with the diagnostic socket (bent outward pins, or chaffed insulation on the wiring just behind it)

* The vehicle isn’t OBD2 compliant. (If you have the correct connector, this doesn’t automatically mean you are OBD2 compliant, it just means you have the correct connector)

Before blaming the adapter, it’s definitely worth being 100% sure your vehicle is OBD2 compliant. For reference the majority of vehicles were built with OBD2 capability in 1996 (for petrol) and 2004 (for diesel). Some manufacturers implemented support for diesels as far back as 1996 as well, but not the majority.

After connecting for a while, it’s also worth going into the ‘Adapter status’ screen and checking the ‘Error Count’ field. This should *always* be 0. If it’s not, then you have a faulty adapter and should get the seller to replace it.

It’s also worth checking that you have the protocol set to ‘Automatic’ in the vehicle profile. If it’s set to a protocol that your vehicle doesn’t talk, then the app will not be able to connect.

arthur156
on: October 20, 2011 (GMT)

Also a problem with connecting….
SGS (1) with ELM 327 Blutooth and the buy-version of Torque pro.
In SGS settings connected via blutooth with the ELM 327. (PIN ‘6789’) and name of ELM 327 device is ‘CHX’.

Torque pro menu’OBD2 Adapter Status’, I can see there’s no connection with adapter and also no connection with ECU.

Auto is a Alfa Romeo 156GTA (2003)

Funny thing is that the ELM 327 is working good with the program FES (Fiat Ecu San), so the unit is working!

Can someone help me to connect with Torque ???

wawawiwa
on: October 21, 2011 (GMT)

Thanks for the replys, I’ll get on it and try

wawawiwa
on: October 21, 2011 (GMT)

Quote from red913 on October 19, 2011
I have issues with that sometimes. I’ve found that all you can do is just disconnect the BT transmitter from the car and turn reconnect it again. That helps sometimes. Also, keep the App running while doing this. That was what I did and it worked for me.

It didn’t work :)

shaunry
on: August 12, 2013 (GMT)

Hi,

Make : VW
Model : Golf 4 GTi
Year : 2004

I just purchased ELM327 Bluetooth dongle as well as Torque Pro software. Pairing is fine. Problem occurs when trying to connect to ECU. Even though my vehicle is OBD2 compliant, it does not necessarily mean that it will work :-(
I have read quite a few forums and this seems to be a common problem.

It appears that ONLY the WBH-Diag will work properly with VW as it requires KW1281 protocol (pls correct me if i am wrong).

My question is…can this protocol be imported into Torque Pro?
Your Help would be highly appreciated :-)

Many thanks
Shaun

shaunry
on: August 13, 2013 (GMT)

Bump!

piemmm
Administrator
on: August 13, 2013 (GMT)

Hi!

If your vehicle is OBD2 compliant, then it should definitely work with Torque.

If it’s not working, and you’re using a clone adapter, then it could well be an adapter problem (some of the clones don’t work on certain wire-level protocols (KWP, CANBUS, ISO9141, etc) but do work on others – this will manifest as working on one manufacturers vehicle, but not anothers where both are OBD2 compliant. If you have this happening on your adapter, where you know your vehicle is definately OBD2 compliant, then you’ll need to get the adapter replaced.

The WBH-BT4 adapter isn’t an OBD2 adapter, but talks KW1281 (or VW’s proprietary protocol) – there is support in Torque for this adapter at the moment, though you will need to create your own ECU ‘identity’ file to tell Torque what sensors are what

Double check your vehicle is OBD2 compliant (as a general rule, in the EU/US, petrol vehicles are compliant from 1996 and diesels from 2004 onwards) – outside the EU / US, different legislation means that you may not be compliant (as the manufacturer was not required to add support) – this only applies to countries outside the EU/US though

shaunry
on: August 14, 2013 (GMT)

Thanks piemmm
One thing to note, I tested the adapter on 5 different VW models (Citi, Caddy, GolfV, GolfIV and Polo). It only worked on Polo :-(

Just to make sure the adapter was not faulty, i tested on BMW and works 1st time. Also tested on Toyota Yaras and did not work. So i am a bit confused.

Thanks

piemmm
Administrator
on: August 15, 2013 (GMT)

Hi

That’s a sign of a faulty adapter. If it’s working on OBD2 vehicles, and not other OBD2 vehicles, then it’s a fault with one of the wire-level protocols that the adapter supports (CANBUS/ISO9141/etc). You’ll need to get the adapter replaced

Most manufacturers switched to canbus on/after 2007

shaunry
on: August 15, 2013 (GMT)

Will definitely get it replaced and report back.
Really appreciate the help :-)

shaunry
on: August 16, 2013 (GMT)

I had the adapter replaced, and still have the same results :-(

frodus
on: August 16, 2013 (GMT)

Are you sure you’re choosing automatic for the protocol?

It may be that that all of the cars you’re trying are not using the same protocol. Some may be CAN, some others may use k-line…etc.

shaunry
on: August 17, 2013 (GMT)

Yes the protocol is set to automatic.
I am only testing it on my Golf 4 gti.
I only tried the other cars to determine if the adapter was faulty.

jimakos75
on: August 18, 2013 (GMT)

I have the same question like you but noone has answered !!!! This OBD II isnt for our car vw golf 2000 year gti.
I cant understand why they dont say that and they let us buy the specific product. They talk very general and they earn maney from as !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They sell product and they dont know which car is perfect for it . Unbelievable !!!!!!!! We have OBD II and it doesnt work. I have done every setting but it cant communicate with ECU. So tell us Mr productor that it isnt working !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! …in order not to buy it !!!!!!!!!!

PrinceLee78
on: May 27, 2017 (GMT)

I have a 2006 VW GTI. And I can not even het my adapter to synch with my phone or it will not communicate with the ecu either. It works on other cars and trucks but not my VW GTI!

I am a 40 year old cable technician that grew up under the hood of every type of vehicle imanagable since my dad has been a mechanic for 45 years.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.073 seconds.

Follow me on twitter