Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Torque + Alfa Romeo Mito

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Torque + Alfa Romeo Mito
iridium-x
Post Torque + Alfa Romeo Mito
on: October 14, 2011 (GMT)

Help,

My car is a 2009 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 Turbo. It’s running on Bosch Motoronic ME 7.9.10 ECU. I’m pretty sure its running on CAN protocol as see from the OBD plug.

My device is HTC EVO 3D, HTC Desire HD, Sumsung Galaxy Tab and plx kiwi bluetooth.

devices can connect to the plx kiwi. but it cant connect to ECU. when I go to “real time information” the top status bar will keep cycling through different protocols.

disabling / enabling “faster communication” or “disable ELM327 auto timing adjust) does not help either.

I’ve tried on a 2010 BMW E70 X5 xdrive35i and 2006 HOnda City / Fit / Jazz. they work fine.

I dont think there’s anything wrong with the Alfa either. It works fine with AlfaOBD and FiatECUScan scantools.

Please help…..
thanks a million.

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Torque + Alfa Romeo Mito

Hi

FiatECUScan uses the proprietary Alfa diagnostics protocol (which isn’t OBD2) from what I can remember, I cant vouch for the other app though.

If the vehicle is OBD2 compliant, then Torque will definitely work with it, so you’ll need to double-check this first before moving on.

If there is still no joy, then enable the debugging in the general settings, restart the app, go into the realtime info screen, let the app try to connect for a minute, then press menu->more…->send debugging info (enter a description like ‘alfa mito’ so I can find the debug amongst the others that come in randomly)

I’ll then take a look and see what’s going on for you

Ian

iridium-x

Thanks Ian. I’m pretty sure its OBD compliant. I’ll send the debug in a while..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ak8gVCtZkQ this is on a fiat bravo. it has actually same engine, same ECU as alfa mito.

iridium-x

Hi Ian, I’ve uploaded the log files. 1. alfa mito. and 2. alfa mito2.

the ECU should be on the CAN-bus protocol.

Please do help me take a look. thanks for your time.

:)

piemmm
Administrator

Hi got the debugs, thanks!

1318577426847 {– ATSP0
1318577426952 –} OK
1318577426954 {– 0100
1318577427039 –} SEARCHING…
1318577431391 –} +UNABLE TO CONNECT

The adapter is unable to find the protocol (or get a response from the ECU) – so are you sure it’s OBD2 compliant (having the correct shaped diagnostics socket doesn’t mean the vehicle is compliant)

It could be that the ECU needs a specific header set (try the ‘Alternate header’ option in the vehicle profile and restart the app).

At the moment, when the adapter is searching for the ECU, it’s not getting a response

iridium-x

thanks alot for the swift reply.
I did try the “alternate header” too.. but to no avail. maybe i’ll try again..

manual states its on EOBD. and the pins correspond to CANbus system..

http://alfaobd.com/supported_units.html
this is another alfa diagnostic tool..
it states “Bosch Motronic ME7.9.10 CF5/EOBD (CAN)” for alfa mito. I suppose it does confirm it means the car is running on CAN system right? by the way, this tool does work using the same plx kiwi. its only available on PC and not on android.

here is also a fiatecuscan package. it also states that mito MY2008 onwards is on CAN protocols..
http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_FESCAN.html

thanks!

piemmm
Administrator

Hm, that would imply it’s either not using the same protocol, or there is a specific header being set to talk to the ECU (none of the default headers).

iridium-x

hmm.. is there anyway to “probe” deeper?

there’s a guy, who got it working on his mito. exact same car and engine. he’s using samsung galaxy tab.
http://dev.mittelmedia.it/?p=10
although he doesn’t exactly show it in working state..

this is the new alfa. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzsb4Ah9uLo
this video clearly shows it works too.. its on the same ECU as me.. and running on CAN too.

i really wonder how they get it to work…

piemmm
Administrator

I’ll see if I can do a little work on this in the next update. There will be a new ‘protocol’ option in the vehicle profile settings (it will be labelled ‘fiat (beta)’) if I manage to complete it before the next update.

I cannot offer any guarantees that it will or will not work, but it will hopefully be a step in the right direction

EDIT: If you could go into the vehicle profile in the full version, and select the protocol: “USER2 CAN(11bit, 50kbaud)”, save the profile, restart the app and let me know how you get on, that would be helpful

iridium-x

ive sent you the debug log using User1 CAN. Still no luck though..

a problem I’ve noticed is if i Select User2 CAN, it will show User1 CAN in the status bar of the “real time information”. If i seelct User1 CAN, the status bar will show the protocol before User1 CAN..

iridium-x
on: November 17, 2011 (GMT)

Hi Ian,

I’ve extracted these from an Alfa specific program.

COMMAND: ATZ
RESPONSE: ATZ

ELM327 v1.3

>

COMMAND: ATI
RESPONSE: ATI

ELM327 v1.3

>

COMMAND: ATE0
RESPONSE: ATE0

OK

>

COMMAND: ATL0
RESPONSE: OK

>

COMMAND: ATH0

>

COMMAND: ATSPC

>

COMMAND: ATS0

>

COMMAND: ATCAF0

>

COMMAND: ATCFC0

>

COMMAND: ATCRA 7B0

>

COMMAND: ATSH 7B0

>

COMMAND: ATAT1

>

COMMAND: ATST41

>

COMMAND: ATBI

>

This interface is compatible with ELM 327 1.3! Should connect properly with all CAN modules.

Do you think its of any help? Maybe have to manual set the alternate header to 7B0?

Please advise. Thanks

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

The Alfa specific program is configuring the adapter for a non OBD2 protocol. CAN is one of the supported wire-protocols of OBD2, but the OBD2 protocol itself also needs to be implemented. The software you are using is not OBD2 software, but likely a proprietary protocol that also works over CAN

iridium-x

hi,

Is there anything you can do to have it implemented?
Chances are slim right?

piemmm
Administrator

Not too slim

The last update added suport for differing protocols, so as long as some public documentation on the protocol can be found, adding support shouldn’t be too difficult to add

iridium-x
on: November 18, 2011 (GMT)

is there any option for ISO15765-3?

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 18, 2011 (GMT)

That’s very likely to be a CAN implementation specification.

You need the *protocol* information, ie: what commands to send and receive from the ECU to get information. These usually aren’t published (to my knowledge)

iridium-x
on: November 23, 2011 (GMT)

hi,
i got this
ATZ
ATSP7
ATCP18
ATCRA18DAF110
ATSHDA10F1

ecu responded! with 7F 01 11.

is this of any help? do you think its enough to have it implemented so it could read the me7.9.10’s sensors?

atsp 7 should be iso15765-4 29bit 500k buad…

pls kindly advise. thanks!

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 23, 2011 (GMT)

7F 01 11 means mode not supported (which means it’s not OBD2 compliant)

or, more to the point:

It knows about the OBD2 protocol (as it has correctly replied for a negative response), but it’s not going to play as it’s replied with ‘Mode not supported’

It’s enough to get a response from whatever unit you’re talking to, however without knowledge of the commands that unit expects for whatever protocol it’s using, I’m a bit stuck. If we knew the commands, responses, and scaling (equation for getting a value out of the data returned) then adding support would then be very straightforward. Had this been a few years ago I’d have still had my 2.5V6 156 Veloce(sold due to excessive petrol costs :-)) and could probably do a bit of testing myself too

iridium-x
on: November 24, 2011 (GMT)

Well.. thing is.. i tried with a 156 3.2 v6 GTA. works fine out of the box. tried it with a 159 2.2 jtS. works fine too! and 147 2.0 twin sparks. works too!

just doesnt work on a mito.. :(

would the physical address be of any use in this case?

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 24, 2011 (GMT)

You could try using ATSH to set the address to the physical control unit you want to speak to, but as it’s already replied ‘mode not supported’ I wouldn’t hold out much hope

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.072 seconds.

Follow me on twitter