Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Has anyone gotten misfire detection to work for FORD?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has anyone gotten misfire detection to work for FORD?
djturnz
Post Has anyone gotten misfire detection to work for FORD?
on: October 10, 2011 (GMT)

I have a 98 Ford Expedition. I recently updated my Torque app (full version) with the FORD PID list. Wow did the app acome alive with extra stuff. One thing I was hoping would work was the misfires detected on the individual cylinders. The reason is that my truck has been acting funny. If I drive it for a while, it sometimes throws a code that Cylinder 3 is misfiring. But that takes a while to get it to do that. I was hoping to be able to watch each cylinder and see if a misfire was ever detected in cyl 3 before the code hits. I even had it running with all 8 individual cylinder misfire readouts when I got the flashing ECU light, and still all readouts showed a dash with no number.

Has anyone with a Ford gotten their misfire detectors to work?

djturnz
Post Re: Has anyone gotten misfire detection to work for FORD?
on: October 10, 2011 (GMT)

Looking at the list from the Ford 2003/2004 Factory Manual, it says the following:
NOTE: PID MP LRN must be set to YES before the Misfire Monitor will be enabled

Does this have something to do with why I can’t see the individual cylinder misfires? Is there something I can do to fix it?

djturnz
on: October 20, 2011 (GMT)

Beuller? Anyone?

piemmm
Administrator
on: October 20, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

That will probably apply to later Fords – (I am not a ford expert,..) It’s likely that the PID isn’t supported due to the age of the vehicle. OBD2 was mandated in 1996, and early implementations focussed on meeting the EPA requirements.

If you have a fault code for misfire on that cylinder, then it will be due to the ECU detecting it. If it comes back after being reset, then all the usual suspects (plugs, coil packs (which for a 97 explorer should apparently be replaced every 100k miles), and plug wires). Unfortunately I can’t offer any more insight

Xrayron
on: November 30, 2011 (GMT)

Quote from djturnz on October 10, 2011
I have a 98 Ford Expedition. I recently updated my Torque app (full version) with the FORD PID list. Wow did the app acome alive with extra stuff. One thing I was hoping would work was the misfires detected on the individual cylinders. The reason is that my truck has been acting funny. If I drive it for a while, it sometimes throws a code that Cylinder 3 is misfiring. But that takes a while to get it to do that. I was hoping to be able to watch each cylinder and see if a misfire was ever detected in cyl 3 before the code hits. I even had it running with all 8 individual cylinder misfire readouts when I got the flashing ECU light, and still all readouts showed a dash with no number.

Has anyone with a Ford gotten their misfire detectors to work?.

Yes I have the misfire counter working on all six cylinders of my 96 Mustang 3.8. I have an idle misfire I’m working on. Let me know if you still need help with this.

djturnz
on: December 20, 2011 (GMT)

I’d love some help with this. I gave up.

Bob_Mac
on: December 28, 2011 (GMT)

I need help as well for a 2011 Ford F-150. I cannot get it to work, please help!

djturnz
on: January 11, 2012 (GMT)

XRAYRON,
Is there something you know that I can do to get the misfires working? I did figure out my Cyl 3 issue, but I’d still like it working.

piemmm
Administrator
on: January 11, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

PID MP_LRN is set to ‘on’ when the engine has completed some test/learning for misfire (or something like that from what I can glean from the ‘net). This isn’t something that you can set, but you have to wait until it has completed before those counters are then available (from what I can gather, some of this may be inaccurate).

There are extended Ford PIDs which you can add in the ‘Manage predefined Pids/sensors’ section of the app (if you haven’t already found and added these) which give you access to more sensors. Also if your vehicle supports Mode 06, in the ‘test’ plugin you may be able to view the misfire counters (if your ECU allows access to those tests)

amdriven2liv
on: January 13, 2012 (GMT)

If I remember right, those misfires were made using the PID’s from 03-07 6.0L Powerstroke DIESEL PID codes. Now, does this mean they are not available for gas motors? I have no clue!

Just thought you should know.

And, NO, I haven’t had any readings from mis-fires. I have been told to disconnect one of my injectors to check it. Me and connectors are not on good terms right now!

Northwest United States

txfatboy
on: January 14, 2012 (GMT)

As far as wanting to see Ford misfire counters…… well, basically they don’t exist. The only real way to see Ford misfires is through MODE 6. ESPECIALLY on late model Fords. Ford PCM’s don’t output that info, no matter what flavor of scanner you are using. Some of the late 90’s Fords had it but the most accurate way to diagnose misfires is with MODE 6.
If you have a misfire for cylinder #3, the easiest thing to do would be to swap the ignition coil with cylinder #2 (right next to it). Clear the codes, and if the cylinder misfire moves to #2, you need to replace that coil. Bad coils are the number one cause of misfires for that particular vehicle. In the “field” we usually find the most common cause of coil failure is plugs that are worn out (gap way to big) or water/oil (liquid) puddled in the spark plug well. HTH

ASE Master tech (former) 23+ years exp. L1, advanced driveability diagnosis (all makes and models). Returning to the automotive repair industry.

birkopf
on: February 17, 2013 (GMT)

I have lot’s of misfire on Mondeo Mk3 1.8 Petrol from 2006. It’s a shame I cannot test by separate cylinder. On Total Misfire count I have literally 3-5 misfires every 2-3 seconds…

Mechanics say it’s not a misfire – even that it looks like.

If Torque has detected misfire – what method has been used ? Is it for sure misfire ? I’m sick of changing parts on my car and paying more and more…

kevin78cougar@live.com
on: January 19, 2019 (GMT)

Quote from txfatboy on January 14, 2012
As far as wanting to see Ford misfire counters…… well, basically they don’t exist. The only real way to see Ford misfires is through MODE 6. ESPECIALLY on late model Fords. Ford PCM’s don’t output that info, no matter what flavor of scanner you are using. Some of the late 90’s Fords had it but the most accurate way to diagnose misfires is with MODE 6.
If you have a misfire for cylinder #3, the easiest thing to do would be to swap the ignition coil with cylinder #2 (right next to it). Clear the codes, and if the cylinder misfire moves to #2, you need to replace that coil. Bad coils are the number one cause of misfires for that particular vehicle. In the “field” we usually find the most common cause of coil failure is plugs that are worn out (gap way to big) or water/oil (liquid) puddled in the spark plug well. HTH

Idk about them not existing my 01 5.4 superduty had individual misfire counters working and all of a sudden they just didn’t show up green anymore in the sensors list .and a couple of trucks at work 99 to 04 superdutys counters work .

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.048 seconds.

Follow me on twitter