Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Boost reading wrong?!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Boost reading wrong?!
niceguy514
Post Re: Boost reading wrong?!
on: March 15, 2012 (GMT)

Hi I also have a irregular boost reading on my Audi A4 2.0t
It would always read a negative pressure regardless of what correction factor i put on. The current settings are as follows

Profile:
Engine Displacement = 2.0
Weight = 1655 kg
Fuel Type = Petrol
Boost Adjustment = 14.83
VE = 85

Adapter Settings:
Faster Communication = Enabled
Boost Calculation Method = MAF

Adapter Status:
Adapter Error count 0
Adapter “Elm 327”

I put up the intake and MAF widget and only the MAF logs a value.

Please help me with the correct settings please. The main reason for this great app was to see the boost pressure.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

@niceguy
Your boost adjustment should be 0, putting a value in for an audi isn’t required and will throw out the calculation depending on what sensors are used (it’s only required for some mitsubishi vehicles using MAP sensors)

Also make sure ‘Disable ELM327 auto timing adjust’ is un-ticked

The calculation for boost using MAF in the app is good, and the MAF sensor is standardised through all vehicles (it’s part of the OBD2 specification), about the only thing that can throw the value out is a bad adapter or MAF sensor (which the reading is based on)

At idle, it will always show a negative reading for petrol vehicles, this is perfectly normal (and correct for petrol engines), it will then go towards 0 as you accelerate, and if you ‘boot it’, and cause your turbo to spool up, will go positive

@godzirro
Can you do the following:

Go into the general settings, and enable debugging
Restart the app, connect to the OBD2 with the engine at idle
wait about 30 seconds with it displaying the boost reading in the realtime information screen
Then press menu->more…->send debugging information. Make sure you put your forum name in the text box that pops up and then press send/ok

I’ll have a look at the debug here and try to get to the bottom of what’s going on eith that for you

Godzirro

So I do have the boost setting to MAF along with the other suggestions you made earlier. I still get spikes real easy with just somewhat quick acceleration. Into the high teens and 20’s. So now what can be done?

Godzirro

Sorry I just saw this suggestion. I will try that but it will show a negative reading at just idle. I will take care of it in a bit though.

Godzirro

ok I just did the debug. thanks

niceguy514
on: March 16, 2012 (GMT)

Quote from admin on March 15, 2012
Hi

@niceguy
Your boost adjustment should be 0, putting a value in for an audi isn’t required and will throw out the calculation depending on what sensors are used (it’s only required for some mitsubishi vehicles using MAP sensors)

Also make sure ‘Disable ELM327 auto timing adjust’ is un-ticked

The calculation for boost using MAF in the app is good, and the MAF sensor is standardised through all vehicles (it’s part of the OBD2 specification), about the only thing that can throw the value out is a bad adapter or MAF sensor (which the reading is based on)

At idle, it will always show a negative reading for petrol vehicles, this is perfectly normal (and correct for petrol engines), it will then go towards 0 as you accelerate, and if you ‘boot it’, and cause your turbo to spool up, will go positive

Thanks for the reply. I set the boost adjustment to 0 and the “disable ELM327 auto timing adjustment” is unchecked.
At idle and during accelerating it still shows a vacuum, only when i gun it will it show a spike at 3psi.

I ran a ross-tech vag-com just to check if there was a boost leak and the actual boost is very similar to the boost requested. At idle the vag-com shows 14.7psi and >3000rpm i am steady at 18psi. Vag-com also didn’t show any stored error that had to do with the MAF so i am just assume the MAF is fine.

If i were to changed the displacement to 1.0 i get somewhat of a better reading.
What do you think is wrong?
THanks

piemmm
Administrator

@niceguy I think you just found the issue. 14.7 is a magic number.

On your vagcom system, 14.7psi is atmospheric pressure at sea level as read by the MAP sensor, boost is basically whatever that sensor reads – 14.7 (atmospheric pressure)

14.7psi(atmospheric pressure) – 18psi(atmospheric pressure + boost) = 3.3psi (the reading you are getting in Torque). So at the moment, I believe Torque is giving you an accurate reading for your boost (and you are only getting 3.3psi actual boost)

piemmm
Administrator

@godzirro Got the debug, thanks

Your adapter appears to be having issues:

1331853738013 – 0100
1331853738062 – 0080
1331853738062 – +4100BE1DA813
1331853738062 – +0080
1331853738092 – +0080
1331853738092 – +0080
1331853738122 – +0080
1331853738122 – +0080
1331853738123 – +0080
1331853738142 – +0080
1331853738142 – +0080
1331853738172 – +0080
1331853738173 – +0080
1331853738173 – +0080
1331853738202 – +0080
1331853738202 – +0080

– The ‘+0080’ should not be present for the 0100 request and this can mess up the init of displays in Torque, also it’s something that happens in the middle of talking to the vehicle which is where the 54psi boost is coming from as it happens smack in the middle of 2 reads from the adapter causing a pause in a timing critical section of code

Unfortunately there’s not much I can do about this (I will however try to include this in the error counter now I have seen this type of problem). I would suggest getting a replacement adapter as it appears to be the cause of the issue in this case

Godzirro

Ok so that doesn’t show up in the error codes? Geez that is crazy. I appreciate you taking the time on this and I am impressed now with how you did deal with the support of the product. I will see what I can do on the adapter then.

Just a note on this I thought my adapter was a good one and I bought it from a company in the US. I have looked over the suggested adapters and most are really expensive. Do you have a recommendation on a reasonably priced one?

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

Do you have a link (to a picture) of the adapter you purchased so I can see which one it is? (in the debugs it’s identifying as an ELM 1.5 (which don’t exist as ELM haven’t released a 1.5 chip, only a 1.4b) – see: http://www.elmelectronics.com/obdic.html (scroll down to the ‘please note’ section)

The adapter I use myself is the OBDLink MX, which is very well built (based on the scantool STN11xx chip) and I have not had any issues with it, obviously it’s a little more expensive than the clones, but that is reflected in the build quality (and most importantly the reliability). I used to use the larger OBDLink adapter before that for similar reasons (and the fact these guys have good support for their adapters). On newer vehicles (using canbus like the juke) these adapters are very quick at retrieving data as well (when compared to the clones)

The clone adapters can also be good if you get a good one, but as you have found there are also ‘not so good’ ones floating around. It’s more luck of the draw with these adapters. You may find that it works perfectly fine on a different vehicle (using a different protocol as different protocols use different parts of the board in the adapter)

The OBDKey works, seems to be reliable and is a U.K. adapter, but it’s not as fast as the clones and definitely not as fast as the OBDLink MX in the unit I have here (OBDKey using 1.30 firmware). Again, as it’s properly built and more importantly tested like the OBDLink adapters, it is more expensive than the clones.

Godzirro

The pic does not seem to want to work on the forum. I noticed you can change protocols used is that a possibility to help? The adapter is the Vgate OBD which I am sure it is easy to find a pic of or I can email it to you. I may not end up using Torque after all if the adapters are that expensive and get something like a ScanGauge unfortunately for about the same price. I have an email into the place I purchased this from waiting on return/exchange possibilities which they do have.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

Hopefully an exchange will sort the adapter out and it’s just a dud

Godzirro

yes hopefully. Its funny how most of the items seem to work well but the one I really need to. I guess the other protocol options are not a possibility?

piemmm
Administrator

The vehicle will only support one protocol – likely to be can-bus in your case for the Juke. The adapters talk multiple protocols as different manufacturers originally used differing protocols to talk to the ECU, hence the need

magic642

what or is there any reason that torque is not reading my boost levels. It just says “no data” on my boost gauge…. Thanks

Godzirro

Well on the hopeful bright side they are sending me a replacement so hopefully it was just a dud.

piemmm
Administrator
on: March 17, 2012 (GMT)

@magic642

If you’re using the lite version of Torque, and have a vehicle that does not have a MAP sensor, then you won’t get boost readings – the pro version can get this value (mainly because it was a pain to implement and originally took a lot of time)

da_17
on: March 18, 2012 (GMT)

Hello.

I just bought the pro version of the app, it is great. I’m using it in a 2006 Mazda3 with the PLX Kiwi.

I have a question: I live am in Bogota at 2600m (8500ft). Should I change any of the parameters for a correct calculation of the vaccum?

Thanks!

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

If you are using a MAP sensor, then you may need to adjust for the altitude difference, but this depends on the sensor and vehicle type

If you see a vacuum (or negative boost if you have it configured that way) with the ignition on (but the engine not running) the you will need to use the ‘boost adjustment’ in the vehicle profile to get that to read 0

If you have boost shown as 0 with the engine off, then you don’t need to change anything.

An easy way to correct for altitude is to show the ‘Intake air pressure’ sensor on the screen (which at sea level should read roughly 14.7). At higher altitudes it will read less, so say is reads 12psi 14.7-12 = 2.7, and put 2.7 into the boost adjustment field in the vehicle profile. On some vehicles this process is automatic within the app so you won’t need to do anything

da_17

Thanks for the infomation! I’ll check and adjust it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.068 seconds.

Follow me on twitter