Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Some Extended GM PIDS found online

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Some Extended GM PIDS found online
steeleshark2
Post Some Extended GM PIDS found online
on: October 4, 2011 (GMT)

Found some extended PIDs for GM online. How can I upload these excel files for people to test?

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Some Extended GM PIDS found online

Hi

Unless I can see that he PIDs are publiclly available online (ie: link to a forum post on the net or a google search pulls them out), then I can’t use them in the app as it may violate someones copyright. Posting PIDs on the forums without an attributable source that it is public information would put the app at risk so unfortunately can’t allow this. Please don’t take this the wrong way!

steeleshark2

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1045604.html

That website has the PID files.

piemmm
Administrator

Ah

If you port that into a spreadsheet, prefix ’22’ to column G and they are your PIDs. the rest can be entered more-or-less as-is apart from the FFF PIDs. The 000D PIDs should just be ‘0d’

steeleshark2

Sweet!! Do you need a copy for any updates you want to do?

Monkeybiz
on: October 5, 2011 (GMT)

So is there a way that these extra PIDs can come in the next update, so I can read more sensors from my GM truck? I’m quite technology stupid and don’t think I can manually enter this stuff with out screwing something up.

piemmm
Administrator

It’s quite difficult to screw anything up… The worst is that you can put the ECU into a test mode (which can usually be cleared by turning the ignition off/on) – (usual disclaimers apply, however I’ve yet to cause any issues here, and I’ve thrown quite a lot of ‘crap data’ at ECU’s over OBD2)

I’m working on an API at the moment to allow other developers (who have access to extended PID lists) to create plugins for the app, so they can offer plugins with PIDs on the market, which should hopefully help everyone to get more available sensors. This is due to make an appearance in the next update (once I’ve finished testing it)

Monkeybiz

I’m sure your right that its difficult to mess up… I clicked on the links @ the other forum, and it came up with an MS Excel document.. I don’t even know where to start, and which ones to put in. It’s seriously like Chinese to me.

neows6
on: October 6, 2011 (GMT)

IAN et all,

So if I have for my GM car, from the CSV file
COUNT 262
LONG NAME CURRENT GEAR
DESC
FORMULA N0
UNITS
DATA LENGTH 1
PID 199A
GROUP 1
SHORTNAME GEAR
RESULTS
PIDCAT 2
txtMCI %CURRENTGEAR%

And I go to manage custum PID’s “Current Gear”

Enter for Line 1 : 01199a
Enter for Line 2 : Current Gear
Enter for Line 3 : Gear
Enter for Line 4 : 0 ( I’m ASSUMING HERE)
Enter for Line 5 : 6 ( i’M ASSUMING HERE)
Enter for Line 6 : LEAVE IT SCALE FACTOR x1
Enter for Line 7 : CURRENTGEAR
Enter for Line 8 : N0
Enter for Line 9 : AUTO

Assuming the data provided on the CSV that is linked above this should work?

steeleshark2
on: October 6, 2011 (GMT)

I think line 1 should be 22199a (look at 4th post). This may or may not work depending on the GM vehicle.

neows6
on: October 7, 2011 (GMT)

Thanks, but no go. Hmmmph

mcberger50
on: October 9, 2011 (GMT)

Quote from neows6 on October 7, 2011
Thanks, but no go. Hmmmph

Try using A in the formula instead of N0.

Hey op, any way I could get a copy of the csv file?

BoultVolt
on: November 25, 2011 (GMT)

Does anyone have a copy of that csv file for GM.. I’m trying to add some custom ones and looking at examples of how GM handels PID (one pid with lots and lots of fields), how they encode data etc could be useful.

I figure someone has this as the current torque has a option for GM PIDs (which I’ve tried, but its not even close to what I need for the Chevy Volt.. I want to understand the EV modes, motors, current draw,etc.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

If you’re using a mode 21 or mode 22 PID (that can return several lines of data) then basically ‘remove the lines’ join them together and then count each byte pair as ‘A’,’B’,’C’, etc as variables in the equation parser. When you hit Z, then next sequence is ‘AA’,’AB’,’AC’,etc and so on to ‘BA,’BB’,’BC'(etc) :)

The structure of the CSV file will be:

"Name", "ShortName", "ModeAndPID", "Equation", "Min Value", "Max Value", "Units", "OBD Header"
 "Transmission Temperature(Method 3)", "Trans", "0105", "A-40", 0, 200, "C", ""

(OBD Header can be ‘auto’, blank, ‘TCM’, ‘7E0’, etc)

and there should be a default one inside the .torque folder after you have visited the ‘manage extended PIDs’ screen

BoultVolt

Thanks Ian.. I know the cvs structure, I already have a cvs I’m working on.
I have examples from Ford (included with the plugin src) and the torque Prius PIDs (various websites).

But I have 100+ GM/Volt specific PIDs I trying to reverse engineer (No docs I can find on this). I will start testing with it next week to find out how my forumlas work. I was hoping a sheet of how GM does their other mode 22 variables might provide better “guesses” on both variable usage and, more importantly, the scaling and such used.

These are all mode 22 GM specific, and there are so many of them and they are so specific I was hoping they are all short replies, but it is possible they all provide really the same big-responses with just different data positions.
If I use torquescan and just provide the list of PIDs, will it tell me the length of the responses and log all the data? (I was planning on doing that using a PC rather than torquescan.)

Unrelated question, but one of the other things I want to do in my plugin is to combine PIDs into sort of virtual PIDs. The car provides Amps and Volts, but I would much rather display Kwh which I can compute. I could have my plug in provide its own display functions, like shiftlight, but I though it would be better if I just made it look like a custom PID that fits in with the display/logging paradigm of Torque. I have about 4 of these I want to define. I know higher cost systems like DashDaq can do that type of dynamic display computation.

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 26, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

Yes, you can create virtual PIDs (PIDs based off 2 existing PIDs/sensors). I’m in the process of updating the wiki for the next release and this will be one of the things. Simply put, to make a PID from other PIDs you just need the ‘id’. For mode 01 PIDs, that’s [0D] for speed, etc, and obviously mode 22 would be [22XXXX]

You can use them like variables in the equation part of the PID editor, so you could do [0D] / [0C] to get speed / rpm

The GM pids ‘appear’ to use the following most common equations (I say appear as this is all worked out):

(A*256)+B for 2 byte responses
A-40 for temperatures in C
A * 0.0195 for Amps
A * 12.5 for idle speed
(A*256)+B)/65.535 for ms (inj timing)

BoultVolt
on: November 26, 2011 (GMT)

Thanks.. the GM model I’m building is consistent with your responce.

If I need a 2byte response for the equation how do I access that.. your examples of [0c]/[0d] make sense if they don’t have 2 fields.

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 27, 2011 (GMT)

When you are calculating from other PIDs, you don’t need to worry about bytes in the response as they are already converted to a numeric value by the time you put in [0c] (etc) into the equation

If your PID asks the ECU for a response then your byte fields will be put into variables ‘A’ ‘B’ (etc).

So

For a plain old extended PID you may have:

Name: Cylinder 1 Misfire history
PID: 221201
Equation: (A*256)+B

If you were to use that PID in another equation, you may have:

Name: A new PID
PID: (leave blank)
Equation: [221201] + [0c]

Or you can try the best of both:

Name: A pid that makes a request and uses another PID
PID: 22199E
Equation: (A * 0.0195) + [0c]

BoultVolt
on: November 28, 2011 (GMT)

Cool, that is just what the Dr. needed/ordered. Easy to use. I presume I can use this in a csv file?

If I want to refer to that result in yet another result, Do I just make up a new PID? any rules for that, or must I leave the new PID blank (and recompute the result from raw PIDs if needed?

If I used your second example, a request + using another then I presume I can call that again in another PID.. so I can chain them that way. (Though the meaning will no longer be consistent with the actual PID, if I name it clearly I should not be confusing anyone).

I presume that my plugin can have its own classes, with state (for example to accumulate stuff). Any way for me to include that stuff in the logs, or should I just make my own logging functions for that?

For example, I want to do some privacy stuff, e.g. deidentifying the data by subtracting off an initial GPS location so all GPS is relative to a number I don’t store). Then I can model the effects of travel without knowing where end users are.

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 28, 2011 (GMT)

I hadn’t thought someone might want to cascade ‘virtual’ calculations,… it will need an ID setting up to do that (in the current version it *might* work if you choose an id starting with ‘FFF’, ie: FFF001, FFF002, etc, though that it untested and I’ll look at this in the next update for you)

Similarly you can’t do accumulating values (yet). I need to think about the implementation of this a little bit (to keep things flexible in the equation parser) – leave it with me and I’ll see what I can come up with in the next couple of updates!

GPS privacy may be an issue, mainly because you can always go hunting and ‘fit’ the path to a known road (so you may want to apply scaling or rotation as well). Storing a number you don’t know isn’t going to be easy to do unless that person is editing the PID themselves. It may be more advantageous (if you are a coder) to us the AIDL api and writing a small plugin to do the job you want (there’s an example app that shows how to use the API in the sticky post in this forum)

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.073 seconds.

Follow me on twitter