Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » PIDs - Zero read vs. "No Data"

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PIDs - Zero read vs. "No Data"
DauntlessRV
Post PIDs - Zero read vs. "No Data"
on: January 2, 2019 (GMT)

This is admittedly a newbie question, but here goes anyway. Pls tell me if this is correct:

1. PID reads NO DATA, means the car does not supply any of the needed information to support the PID and therefore you get a NO DATA reading. Correct?

2. You set up a PID on your screen and it stays on Zero. But the little green light in the dial blinks every few seconds, and it DOES NOT SAY NO DATA. This means the system has the necessary data, but the result is a ZERO read?

Does this sound correct? I thank you. RV

Not a skilled auto mechanic. Just an amateur trying to keep my 2008 Chevy Cobalt LS running well (~140K miles) and learn some things along the way to make me better able to maintain my vehicles well and with minimal work sent to the Shop.

F-150Torqued
Post Re: PIDs - Zero read vs. "No Data"

You got it exactly right.

Zero is a positive response from the ECU to the requested contents of a particular PID. Could be the result of a formula, or a ‘flag’ byte in which NO flags are set or whatever, but the result is ZERO. If the PID is unspecified to the ECU – it sends Torque a response that means no data available at that PID address. You are wise in that the difference can be instructive. Zero can also be the response from an faulty sensor.

—————-

DauntlessRV

Thank you Ford 150Torque!!!! Appreciate your kind and thoughtful response. I really wish TorquePro had a thorough manual. I don’t understand why they never put one together. This kind of simple stuff could be explained in a manual and I wouldn’t have to go online and ask you these kind of questions. This is puzzling to me.

Thank you again. Happy and Healthy and Successful New Year!!

Reuben

Not a skilled auto mechanic. Just an amateur trying to keep my 2008 Chevy Cobalt LS running well (~140K miles) and learn some things along the way to make me better able to maintain my vehicles well and with minimal work sent to the Shop.

moreause
on: January 6, 2019 (GMT)

i would say it depends

for standard pid i would say no issue since the standard is pretty clear

for advanced pid i personnaly saw some issue (that are not supported by the obdii standard)

advance pid you mostly request an adress and decipher the response …

in the hyundai package… i had knock per cylinder working
but total knock always showing zero

so i suspect that adress was responding ..but was always zero

just to be carefull

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.016 seconds.

Follow me on twitter