Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Am I missing something?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Am I missing something?
jsjj
Post Am I missing something?
on: October 30, 2018 (GMT)

I am showing a misfire on my report, but I’d like to know which cylinder it is. I can’t find it if it’s in there. Am I missing something or does the Torque Pro not go that deep?

This is what I get…..

TID:c CID:
– Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated)
Max: 126
Test result value: 54,479
FAIL

Thanks in advance all. BTW – the truck is without a doubt misfiring. I’d like to change 1 coil instead of all 8 if I can help it.

F-150Torqued
Post Re: Am I missing something?
on: October 31, 2018 (GMT)

Your post suggests you are victim of an inconvenient truth. Torque Pro can only do what your vehicle allows. The reason I say this is you don’t mention the Make, model, or even YEAR of your vehicle. We can only calculate that its limited to manufacturers that offer ‘trucks’, and it must be an 8 cylinder – (maybe even a ‘straight 8), and maybe 1991 or later if it has OBD at all.

Torque Pro goes as deep as it can – based on what information is actually available from the OBD system – whatever that might be. But for sure, all vehicles are not created equal. I have even found differences in OBDII data available, PID assignments, reports, etc between vehicles of identical Make, Model, Year and equipment as mine – but assembled in a different assembly plant.

Torque Pro most likely just formatting and displaying Mode 6 reports that ‘respond’ to requests. My 2004 For F150 5.4l Triton produces % OF CAT damaging misfire rate —- AND individual cylinder misfire count for all 8 cylinders.

———————–

Tell us what year, make, model and type your vehicle is and someone is far more likely to be able to help.

jsjj

I suppose that would help………

The vehicle is a ’99 GMC Sierra 1500 4wd with the 5.3 and 4L60 auto trans.

Thanks…

F-150Torqued

Based on that information – I’m going to guess that the OBDII ‘software’ in the on board computer doesn’t account for misfires in the manner you wish. Again, I’m guessing there. Have you installed the GM extended PIDs? OBD basically was implemented to monitor ’emissions’ stuff, primarily to comply with government emissions regulations. Manufacturers have continued to add other useful info, – which differs widely among manufacturers. That’s why Torque has different ‘extended PID sets’ for various vehicle types. Though again, Mfg’s have added these things to OBD to benefit their dealer service departments, not us. And they keep their data very under wraps – or charge HUGE prices for it. Torque Pro sorta polls stuff for the Vehicle, and tries not to crash if it doesn’t respond to the request. I’d guess that’s where you are. But I welcome being proven wrong here. I know little about GM except my wife’s Buick Enclave, 2010 3.6l V6 – and Torque Pro reports misfires by cylinder on it too, same as my 2004 Ford.

—————–

jsjj
on: November 6, 2018 (GMT)

I installed the extra pid’s. (settings, manage extra pid’s, tap GM – I assume that’s proper procedure) (I’ve turned a lot of wrenches in my time but I’m honestly pretty green with the obd thing) The cylinders are differentiated when I’m in the manage extra pid’s screen, but when I go to test results while the truck is running it only shows a generic misfire. Am I adding pid’s correctly?

F-150Torqued
on: November 6, 2018 (GMT)

No need to apologize for not knowing something about the obd thing. Mfgs are not real forthcoming with information about their OBD stuff – in favor of giving it to their service department so they can charge you.

Originally – and generally – OBD was created for emissions type stuff. O2 sensors, EVAP and so forth. Mfgs have continued (over the years) to add more sensors and tie more stuff to the onboard computer – and THUS the OBD system. But, there is no controlling standards – outside the emissions crap – and every manufacturer sorta’ does its own thing. Torque Pro (in all it’s wisdom) created a system with maximum customization. Hence your GM set of PIDs. But many of those may be for later models. And though they are listed there, and there may even be such a sensor it may not be included in the software for your year model vehicle. Individual cylinder misfire counts on a ’99 GMC ?? I do not know. Perhaps another forum member who knows will hop in and enlighten us both.

——————

jsjj
on: November 7, 2018 (GMT)

I replaced my plugs yesterday……(it’s been a while) and the truck seemed to smooth out. However 10 miles or so in it started misfiring like crazy. Service engine light this time! I figure the new plugs helped to bring the problem to a new light. Plugged in the scanner and tadaaa! Cylinder #5 misfire. Replaced the coil and we’re good to go.

It obviously didn’t answer my questions with individual cylinder scans, but at least she’s back to running like she should. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND INPUT!!!!!

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.025 seconds.

Follow me on twitter