Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Ford Focus Mk2 misfire

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ford Focus Mk2 misfire
CKAJCA
Post Ford Focus Mk2 misfire
on: October 28, 2018 (GMT)

I have just paid for the Torque Pro app to try to diagnose a misfire on my Ford Focus Mk2 which is not displaying the Check Engine Light. I have connected to the ECU and can see the engine revs and a number of other gauges that all seem to work OK so I guess the OBDC adaptor is working OK. I think I need to see misfire data but dont know how to get to it. Can anyone tell me how I need to proceed to isolate my problem? An idiots guide would be VERY much appreciated.
Regards Colin

F-150Torqued
Post Re: Ford Focus Mk2 misfire
on: October 29, 2018 (GMT)

From the main torque Pro screen, select >TEST RESULTS. Give it time to complete 100% at least once.

Scroll down and study Misfire Counts for current and last ten drive cycles on a per cylinder basis.

That should tell you where to focus your attention.

—————————-

CKAJCA

Quote from F-150Torqued on October 29, 2018
From the main torque Pro screen, select >TEST RESULTS. Give it time to complete 100% at least once.

Scroll down and study Misfire Counts for current and last ten drive cycles on a per cylinder basis.

That should tell you where to focus your attention.

—————————-

Thank you VERY much for your help, it is much appreciated.
I followed your instructions and although many results appeared I didnt find anything related to Misfire Count. There were two items that were ‘Not OK’ but I wonder if they are because it is only a 4 cylinder car?

MID 02 TID 91
O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2

AND

MID 06 TID 91
O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2

I downloaded and installed the Torque Scan plugin. When I scanned the PIDs I found a Misfire Count which showed the following result:-

[FORD] Total number of misfires [221616]
Latest raw value 11,252 count

There were Misfire Counts for each cylinder but there was no data available.

Clearly it has confirmed that I am getting misfires but without individual cylinder Misfire Counts I am no better off. What can I do now to isolate the problem?

Regards Colin

F-150Torqued

BOOKS could be written about what I don’t know – But:

There are WIDE differences in OBDII assignments of PID’s – EVEN within like vehicles of different years and models. While I know a fair bit about the 2004 5.4L F150 pickup, I’m largely guessing about your vehicle. Even not knowing its year model. I would guess, depending on the year it possibly might not have ‘downstream’ O2 sensors. That often explains ERRORS on the Mode 6 Test Results. (Mine shows ERROR for O2 sensor #3 that it doesn’t have). If your has post CAT sensors, pay attention to the Min / Max and present readings on the Report and try to figure out WHY.

I have reasonable faith in PID 1616. That is also MFTot on my vehicle also. A count of 11,252 is extreme. But MANY Fords (including mine) do not support individual misfire reporting on OBDII – other than the Mode 6 spontaneous diagnostic report. I’m surprised yours doesn’t. Don’t know why (depending on the year model).

Heck – with only 4 cylinders to worry about, I’d just do a meticulous, hospital clean, good ole fashion spark plug, coil, wiring & electrical connections job.

——————-

CKAJCA

Quote from F-150Torqued on October 29, 2018
BOOKS could be written about what I don’t know – But:

There are WIDE differences in OBDII assignments of PID’s – EVEN within like vehicles of different years and models. While I know a fair bit about the 2004 5.4L F150 pickup, I’m largely guessing about your vehicle. Even not knowing its year model. I would guess, depending on the year it possibly might not have ‘downstream’ O2 sensors. That often explains ERRORS on the Mode 6 Test Results. (Mine shows ERROR for O2 sensor #3 that it doesn’t have). If your has post CAT sensors, pay attention to the Min / Max and present readings on the Report and try to figure out WHY.

I have reasonable faith in PID 1616. That is also MFTot on my vehicle also. A count of 11,252 is extreme. But MANY Fords (including mine) do not support individual misfire reporting on OBDII – other than the Mode 6 spontaneous diagnostic report. I’m surprised yours doesn’t. Don’t know why (depending on the year model).

Heck – with only 4 cylinders to worry about, I’d just do a meticulous, hospital clean, good ole fashion spark plug, coil, wiring & electrical connections job.

——————-

I think you are right. I will first check all connections. The plugs are fairly new so I will systematically replace the coil pack and then the leads and see if that makes any difference.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.019 seconds.

Follow me on twitter