Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » USB based device that actually works

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: USB based device that actually works
ratdude747
Post Re: USB based device that actually works
on: April 23, 2019 (GMT)

I have one that works (posted a thread about it, but it’s not showing up, maybe because I’m a new member?)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-ELM327-V1-5-USB-Car-CAN-Diagnostic-Auto-Interface-Scanner-Adapter

The good new is it works most of the time… after booting and then plugging it in. If you leave it plugged in and start torque, you’re out of luck and until one kills torque, then replugs the adapter, it will never connect. Also if the connection is lost, one must kill torque then replug… again, otherwise it will not connected even if the device is detected.

This sucks in my case, since I installed mine in the dash for use with an Android head unit not compatible with bluetooth devices.

Also the internal construction is junk… I beefed up the scrawny solder joints between boards, swapped the garbage “straight wire” USB cable for a proper shielded/twisted pair USB cable, and partially potted it in hot glue to ensure resistance to external vibration.

If there was a way to make it work on startup, that would be great.

zeekune
on: April 27, 2019 (GMT)

I run the OBD-Link SX. USB, works perfectly
Yes, this works perfectly.

F-150Torqued
on: April 27, 2019 (GMT)

Thanks for the reply @zeekune

It does leave me to assume you are talking about it working perfectly with TORQUE PRO Version 1.8.205. As I previously mentioned, the two I have bought work fine with Forscan on windows based devices – but not with Torque. They are both ELM327 based devices, and since Torque works fine with many different ELM327 based Bluetooth devices, seems Torque would work with them too.

Another consideration was the MS/HS-can switch – a feature I was looking for with the USB interface. But the added speed of USB connection would offer enough benefit to cause me to spring for purchase of an OBDLINK SX adapter anyway.

I might even consider risking destroying one TRYING to modify it for accessing both MS/HS-can as described on the Forscan site here:

“SUBJECT”: Modifying an OBDLINK SX USB Adapter for HS/MS-CAN relay managed by RTS

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8510&sid=edd533ae3c17baec9f5b0de1713546d8&start=10

——————–

warship
on: May 29, 2019 (GMT)

So, buying the OBD-Link SX i can connect it directly to my android head unit and run torque pro?

Pages: 1 [2]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.016 seconds.

Follow me on twitter