Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » 'Fuel System' Readiness Monitor Incomplete

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 'Fuel System' Readiness Monitor Incomplete
obx_guy
Post 'Fuel System' Readiness Monitor Incomplete
on: October 1, 2018 (GMT)

I have a 2011 Range Rover (Jaguar) and the Fuel System monitor says incomplete. Everything I have read says this is a continuous monitor and should display anytime the fuel mixture is within limits. Anybody know what any other constraints exist that delay this going to completed. I know probably no one will have the RR specific info but I am betting that most all autos have very similar constraints when it comes to this monitor.
Is there a way to look at the data it is monitoring…
Thanks

Capp777
Post Re:
on: October 1, 2018 (GMT)

Do you have any DTCs related to…

Misfires
EGR
EVAP
O2 Sensor

which could prevent the monitor from
running?

Verify the following inputs are available
for enabling the monitor to run…

VSS
MAP
BARO
ECT
IAT
CKP
TP
STFT
LTFT

Engine at normal temp in closed loop.

According to light reading of my
manuals.

(Another Torque Pro User).

obx_guy
Post Re:
on: October 2, 2018 (GMT)

There are no DTCs, however the evap monitor is incomplete but without any faults… just hasn’t run yet.

Is the fuel system monitor running dependent on other monitors such as the EVAP??? Since it is continuous I assumed that other periodic monitors would not affect it.

I was hoping that I could keep the evap from running because it will throw a P0442 error when it does. Just need more time find the problem but my inspection is due now.

F-150Torqued
Post Re:

Fuel System Monitor entry conditions are: In closed loop; Fuel Rai Pressure sensor OK (passes rationality check); NO lean code; NO rich code; Minimum RPM=idle; Mass Air FLow > 0.75 lb/min; Evap Purge Duty Cycle 0%; fuel level > 15%.

Fuel System monitor is suspended if battery voltage falls below 11.0 volts, and when fuel level is below 15%.

I _do not think_ fuel monitor is dependent on EVAP completion.

However, I think you may be missing an important element if your interest is in passing inspection. OBDII maintains an ‘Emissions Readiness’ flag. (Check the Torque Pro Readiness gauge). Even if you dodge a P0442 DTC, and they connect to OBDII and check, they will see that ALL readiness monitors (including EVAP) have not passed since the last DTC Clear. (( Clue: Don’t carelessly clear codes – The PCM will clear them itself within a couple or three drive cycles if the problem is removed.)) When you clear codes, EVERYTHING starts out from scratch again and you have a P1000. Some take multiple drive cycles and some (such as EVAP) can be tedious to satisfy. (ie: EVAP entry conditions require – specified ‘Soak’ time; 30º-90º IAT, > 40mph, 15%-75% fuel level (in-flight fueling will abort EVAP test); ECT > 160; etc, etc).

For your EVAP problem, try removing the gas cap and clean the gas cap ‘O’ ring real good, and burnish the tank filler-cap seal with a kitchen dishpan scrubby. Then put Vasolene(petroleum jelly) on the ‘O’ ring and seal. Replace the cap and see if the EVAP monitor will complete.

——————–

Capp777
Post Re:

My belief based upon my reading is the EVAP
problem could prevent the fuel monitor from
running.

For a small leak, I would closely inspect the tubing
and connections for the EVAP system. Assuming
smoke machine is beyond reach.

For reference…

Haynes Techbook No. 10206
OBDII and Electronic Engine Management Systems
Page 6-10

obx_guy
Post Re:
on: October 3, 2018 (GMT)

Thanks for the replies….
Wanted to share what I found out, so it could help others.
The ‘Fuel System’ readiness is independent of the EVAP. My drive cycles are pretty easy except for the last one which was the ‘Fuel System’. This finally when to complete after I drove for maybe 25 to 30 miles. So even though it is a continuous monitor there is a drive cycle criteria.
The result is that if you you have an EVAP issue and you need an inspection you can prevent the EVAP from running by keeping the tank full. You will need to reset the fault and then do a drive cycle to get all other monitors complete while keeping the EVAP from running. Then you can get it inspected, provided that you are in a state that allows one not ready for newer cars. My inspection report had ‘PASS’ for all items.
..of course problems should be fixed but sometimes it is a lengthy process (especially with the EVAP)and you just need to buy a little more time.

F-150Torqued
Post Re:
on: October 4, 2018 (GMT)

@obx_guy I like your good ole red-neck method for tricking the inspection routine. Seems like you have a good handle on the OBDII Monitors. I agree – and I have witnessed the Fuel Status Monitor complete before EVAP (asl well as other monitors such as CATSTAT, I/M READY/CCOMSTAT) completes – as can be seen on the screenshot attached below. I have worked out PIDs for nine Monitors and created this “OBDII MONITORS MONITOR” dashboard on Torque. I have identified/worked out many custom PIDs beyond the Extended Ford PID set on my 2004 F150 Lariat 5.4l Triton. Unfortunately I have also WELL learned that outside the standard Federal mandated OBDII stuff, PID assignments differs widely – even between like vehicles of same year and model assembled at different assembly plants. !!!! /// It seems totally STUPID, and probably means it won’t do you any good ///. However, if you are flexaible with Torque Pro, there is ho harm in trying them. All the PIDs outside the FORD Extended PIDs beyond what’s included in the Torque Extended FORD PID set are listed in this post about this dashboard:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1527954-how-to-track-down-p1000-cause-using-torque-pro-live-data.html

Perhaps you can derive some benefit from it for your Range Rover (Jaguar). I think it is somewhat similar to Ford.

—————-

obx_guy
Post Re:

Thanks… some great information… will definitely play around with them.
Interestingly…. I never got a P1000 DTC after any of my resets.

F-150Torqued
Post Re: P1000

That is interesting.

I’ve had exchanges with several guys on the Ford site regarding this (basically the reason for hammering out the Monitors monitor screen.) Several have had trouble getting the Misfire Monitor to complete —-. It requires ‘relearning’ the crankshaft tone ring profile first – and that takes (up to) three 60 mph to 40 mph fuel shutoff decelerations to either learn or trigger a CEL!!!! If a person does mostly city drive to / from work, that might take a while to rack up.

Hope some of the PIDs in this stuff fits your vehicle — (but I’d be skeptical based on my experience with similar F150s.)

————-

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.032 seconds.

Follow me on twitter