Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Ford PID Cylinder Misfire

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ford PID Cylinder Misfire
Ekinzer
Post Ford PID Cylinder Misfire
on: July 25, 2018 (GMT)

Somewhat new to this and not nearly as talented as most on here with coding and customizing pids.
In my mind my problem is simple. No I have a 2007 Ford Expedition EL Limited. I’ve been using torque for about 6 months and it’s great. I have imported additional pids for Ford. I can get a total misfire display and I see PID for each individual cylinders but cannot get it to read misfires on any individual cylinders just a total count. I need to be able to scan and know exactly where the Misfires are occurring that are being counted in the total count. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

moreause
Post Re: Ford PID Cylinder Misfire

i would say get forscan

yes torque is usedfull in the day to day but forscan ase access to more information

it’s ford specific

if you have a cheap adapter you will only have access to the high speed bus .. engine abs ect

if you have i hign end adapter ..obdlink mx you will also have access to the low speed bus … internal stuff, radio bcm ect

Capp777
Post Re: Ford PID Cylinder Misfire

You might try looking at mode 6 data
for individual cylinder misfires. (TID 53).

You might even be able to create custom
pids for the mode 6 data.

I am not sure the individual mode 22 custom pids
were available for your MY vehicle.

F-150Torqued
Post Re: Ford PID Cylinder Misfire #!
on: July 26, 2018 (GMT)

@Ekinzer

Maybe I can help – since you have a 2007 FORD of similar vintage. (I say MAYBE as my ‘disclaimer’ and to ‘caution’ Owners of all other vehicle types). I have worked with Torque extensively locating custom PIDs and working out formulas for my 2004 F150. One thing I have _WELL_ learned is that there is NO standardization in PID assignments outside the Federal mandated ‘Emission Systems’ PIDs (generally below 0255). I even find differences between Fords assembled at different manufacturing plants! (VERY frustrating).

There are ‘SOME’ Fords that output individual cylinder misfire counts on OBDII (at the PIDs provided in Torque Pro’s FORD custom PID set.) But not many and it seems that Ford has discontinued the concept.

After working with this issue (and fighting Misfires on my own F150), I have come to understand WHY Ford discontinued it. ** It sounds real ‘sexy’ and ‘cool’ to be able to see little counters increment upward WHILE a cylinder is actively misfiring **. But in “REALITY” it is completely misguided desire for warm and fuzzies. You generally know when a cylinder is misfiring — and AT THAT TIME it occurs, who gives a damn which cylinder it is. L A T E R, when you wish to FIX the damn thing, you need to know which one HAS BEEN MISBEHAVING. The Mode 06 report gives you that information + Freeze frame data about the latest one. While the engine is running, or while you are driving, the Total Number of Misfires is more than adequate to signal you there’s a problem. You are not going to do one single thing different while driving, or until you raise the hood to address a misfire problem. LIVE MISFIRE DATA by cylinder is really completely useless — but admittedly, it’s cool and sexy — and I WANTED It tOO.

Having said all that, I will tell you (and share all) that I have worked out a nice MISFIRE MONITOR DASHBOARD that shows L I V E – M I S F I R E data for lots of Fords, but likely NOT for any other make.

For the Most part, this Torque dashboard and PIDs is applicable for 2004 – 2008 F-Series Ford Trucks or Expedition style vehicles with 4.6L or 5.4L engine. SHOULD WORK partially on some other “FORDS”. Those (and most predecessors) did NOT post ‘individual’ cylinder Misfire results on OBDI or OBDII. However the individual counts are accumulated and produced via a “Mode 06” diagnostic report as suggested by @Capp777. This dashboard takes advantage of that and obtains the individual counts by making repeated Mode 06 Requests and displaying the results live. ((Mode 06 is NOT intended to be used in rapid multiple calls – and this screen has been know to display the data then loose connection with the ECU, but seems to recover promptly by exiting the Dashboard )).

Due to size of the total POST, and in order to avoid running over the word limit for a single post here, the individual PIDs for the above pictured Torque Pro Dashboard will be listed in a separate post below with SAME SUBJECT LINE.

Additionally, a ‘CSV’ file containing all the ‘custom pids’ (that are not part of the standard Torque Pro Ford Extended PID list) may be downloaded from here:

http://www.devoll.com/Public/Torque/Torque%20Misfire%20Monitor%20v1-06.csv

NOTE: You may have to lower your Brower’s security level to click on and open a linked CSV file. Your system may also treat it as an ‘Excel’ file (which it technically is), but download it to the .Torque/ExtendedPIDs folder on your Android device, in in pure raw ‘TEXT’ format with the extension of ‘.CSV’, and it will appear in your custom PIDs list for importing directly into Torque Pro. Then create a dashboard as you like similar to the above.

————–

F-150Torqued
Post Re: Ford PID Cylinder Misfire #2
on: July 26, 2018 (GMT)

SO: This Torque Pro dashboard uses Mode 06 query to get them, and ‘dynamically’ display the counts, and several OTHER regular Mode 02 requests for all other counters / and Freeze Frame data displayed on the bottom half. /// Caution: I have witnessed cases where the multiple, rapid Mode 06 queries ‘temporarily’ kills ECU communications, but it seems to recover after moving to another dashboard where there are NO Mode 06 queries ///.

A COMPLETE LIST OF THE PIDs ASSOCIATED WITH THE ABOVE DASHBOARD IS LISTED BELOW:

I (personally) prefer to place an underscore character in front of my custom PID names that _I ADD_. This keeps them separate from Torque’s standard PID list – and makes them sort to the front of the list and be easier to find/identify (selfish me). Header for all these PIDS is “Auto” (or usually you can leave them blank). None require a Start/Stop Diagnostic command.

————-

Here are the Mode 06 PIDs that get the contents of the MODE 06 misfire counters.

Mode & PID: 06A20C
Long Name: _Misfire Cylinder 1 Counter
Short Name: MFC1
Equation: G*256+H

——————–
—–NOTE: ALL MODE 06 PIDs WILL BE …. Min/Max: 0 / 65535, Scale: 1, Unit: Cnt, Header – Start & Stop Diagnostic Command: all blank
—————-

Mode & PID: 06A30C
Long Name: _Misfire Cylinder 2 Counter
Short Name: MFC2

Mode & PID: 06A40C
Long Name: _Misfire Cylinder 3 Counter
Short Name: MFC3

Mode & PID: 06A50C
Long Name: _Misfire Cylinder 4 Counter
Short Name: MFC4

Mode & PID: 06A60C
Long Name: _Misfire Cylinder 5 Counter
Short Name: MFC5

Mode & PID: 06A70C
Long Name: _Misfire Cylinder 6 Counter
Short Name: MFC6

Mode & PID: 06A80C
Long Name: _Misfire Cylinder 7 Counter
Short Name: MFC7

Mode & PID: 06A90C
Long Name: _Misfire Cylinder 8 Counter
Short Name: MFC8

——–I arranged the misfire counters like right and left banks appear from drivers seat for quick identification.
The remaining PIDs are Mode 02 queries with brief descriptions where long name is not adequately descriptive.

MISFIRE OCCURING. This flag is set if vehicle exceeds catalyst damaging rate of misfires as shown in Mode 06 Misfire report for this vehicle.
Mode/PID: 221102
Long Name: _Misfire Occurring Flag
Short Name: Misfiring
Min/Max: 0, 1
Unit: Yes/No
Formula: Bit(A:7)

Continuous Code Counter (fault & pending)
Mode/PID: 220200
Long Name: _Continuous Code Counter
Short Name: DTC_CNT
Min/Max: 0, 255
Unit: Cnt
Formula: A

Total number of On-Demand Codes
Mode/PID: 220202
Long Name: _Total Number of On-Demand Codes
Short Name: DTC_CNTD

Number of Drive Cycles – SINCE the last Misfire. (This ‘DRIVE CYCLE’ Counter increments ONCE – for each Drive Cycle and is RESET when DTC’s are CLEARED _AND_ when a Misfire is detected *_AFTER_* the first 1000 Engine Revolutions). Misfires occurring during the first 1000 Revs do NOT reset this counter, and are viewed/treated quiet differently in the PCM.
Mode/PID: 2216DC
Long Name: _Number Drive cycles Since DTC CLR or MISFIRE
Short Name: MFF_0_CNT
Min/Max: 0, 65535
Formula: A*256+B

Total number of Misfires (during the current drive cycle. Includes misfires occurring during the 1st 1000 Revs.)
Mode/PID 221616
Long Name: _Total Number of Misfires
Short Name: MFTOT
Min/Max: 0, 65535
Formula: A*256+B

Engine RPM at time of latest Misfire. (read from Freeze Frame Data)
Mode/PID 2216D3
Long Name: _Engine RPM at time of Misfire
Short Name: MFF_RPM
Min/Max: 0, 6500
Unit: RPM
Formula (A*256+B)/10

Engine Load at time of latest Misfire. (read from Freeze Frame Data)
Mode/PID 2216D4
Long Name: _Engine Load at time of Misfire
Short Name: MFF_LOAD
Min/Max: 0, 100
Unit: %
Formula (A*256+B)*(128/32768)

Vehicle Speed at time of latest Misfire. (red from Freeze Frame Data)
Mode/PID: 2216D5
Long Name: _Vehicle Speed at time of Misfire
Short Name: MFF_VS
Min/Max: 0, 120
Unit: MPH (or Km/hr depending on options settings)

Intake Air Temp at time of Misfire. (red from Freeze Frame Data)
Mode/PID: 2216D6
Long Name: _Intake Air Temp at time of Misfire
Short Name: MFF_IAT
Min/Max: 0, 200
Unit: Deg. F.
Formula: (A*9/5)+32

Engine-Off SOAK at time of Misfire. (read from Freeze Frame Data)
Mode/PID: 2216D7
Long Name: _Engine-Off SOAK time at time of Misfire
Short Name: MFF_SOAK
Min/Max: 0, 1000
Unit: Sec
Formula: (A*256+B)

Engine Run time at time of Misfire. (read from Freeze Frame Data)
Mode/PID: 2216D8
Long Name: _Engine Run Time at time of Misfire
Short Name: MFF_RNTM
Unit: Sec

Throttle Position at time of Misfire. (read from Freeze Frame Data)
Mode/PID: 2216DA
Long Name: _Throttle Position at time of Misfire
Short Name: MFF_TP
Min/Max: 0, 5
Unit: Volts
Formula: ((A*256+B)/32768)*5

In Drive at time of Misfire. (read from Freeze Frame Data)
Mode/Pid: 2216DD
Long Name: _In Drive at time of Misfire
short Name; MFF_PNP
Formula: Bit(A:1)

Misfire Wheel Profile Learned in KAM (Misfire monitor correction profile for irregularities in CKS tone ring learned) NOTE: MIS_STAT (Misfire Status Monitor will never come true until the profile is learned. This also effects completion of other continuous emissions monitors required to clear a P1000 code.
Mode/Pid: 2216DD
Long Name: _Misfire Wheel Profile Learned in KAM
Short Name: MPLRN
Formula: Bit(A:0)

Misfire Monitor completed this Drive Cycle – (An element of comprehensive continuous OBDII Monitors. Must complete in order for certain other Monitors -ie: Catalyst Monitor – to run)
Mode/PID: 22095D
Long Name: _Misfire Monitor Status
Short Name: MISSTAT
Formula Bit(B:7)

Happy Torqueing

———————-

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.022 seconds.

Follow me on twitter