Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » arduino on a motorbike

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: arduino on a motorbike
Squirrel
Post arduino on a motorbike
on: April 27, 2018 (GMT)

Okay I have done a breadboard set up to test using an arduino to send data to torque via Bluetooth. What I need to know is what to do I need to do to actual feed sensor data from the bike. It doesn’t have can bus on it and has no ecu as it is has carbs. I am worried about accidental feeding 12v into one of the pins and frying the arduino. I need to pick up the tacho output from the from the original feed to the tacho, plus engine temp and fule for a star. I can then look at adding sensors for oil, air and EGT and AFR later on.
Any ideas ?

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: arduino on a motorbike
on: May 1, 2018 (GMT)

Hi!

I’m doing something *extremely* similar at the moment involving an arduino, canbus (motec ecu’s) and plugging into some other sensors.

The arduino will be 5v or 3.3v (i’m going to assume it’s a 5v arduino)

You’ll need to buffer the inputs – for on/off stuff, you can usually get away with an opto-isolator (with a suitable current limiting resistor) between the sensor and the isolator, and then the arduino’s input pins on the other side. This will electrically isolate it from whatever you’re measuring making blowing the atmega chip up quite difficult.

For analog measurements, you’ll need to probably use a potential divider network (also be careful of pulling too much current from whatever you’re measuring as this may cause the ECU to see a different reading to actual, but that mostly depends on the sensor you’re connected to)

There’s a ton of info on the web for resistor network calculators/potential divider calculators. Unfortunately you will likely need to make a PCB up for this using a veroboard/breadboard/etc as you will need to keep that 12v away from the arduino and step it down to something more palatable for the chip

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.011 seconds.

Follow me on twitter