Torque

Forums

Forums

Guest  

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.




Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Twin Turbo Boost Gauges

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Twin Turbo Boost Gauges
ahhyyes
Member
Posts: 1
Post Twin Turbo Boost Gauges
on: April 6, 2018 (GMT)

I have a 2012 Merc E550 4.7L Twin Turbo. This setup has one turbo for each bank, so I am assuming there are two boost monitors in there…

Looking for a way to pull up two Boost Gauges, one for each bank.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance…

Capp777
Member
Posts: 2862
Post Re: Twin Turbo Boost Gauges
on: April 6, 2018 (GMT)

Based upon Torque, Wiki and the link
below I would experiment with [70].

ht tp://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=378825

Quote from Capp777 on April 5, 2018
You might try creating your own custom
pid for Turbo Pressure Control [70] which
is mentioned in Wiki OBDII PIDs as Boost
Pressure Control and testing for its raw hex
response while connected in the pid editor.

If your vehicle supports it you would then
have to experiment with the response bytes
to determine if your answer lies within.

I consider Torque’s Turbo Pressure Control
a place holder until its bytes are properly
identified and scaled. (Wiki too).

You could also search the net to see if
anyone has already solved it.

Posting your raw hex response would be
helpful.

chevota
Member
Posts: 2
Post Re: Twin Turbo Boost Gauges
on: August 30, 2020 (GMT)

I know this post is old but I don’t see how that would work since both turbos dump into the same spot. I believe they meet before the intercooler, but even if they are separated before it with a little divider wall, they are not after the intercooler. Since (apparently) some cars can read turbo speed, it would help you to get that data. I do not believe your car has those sensors so it would involve a lot of work and $ to install them which is (imo) well into the not worth it category. If your boost pressure is correct through the entire rpm band compared to known good cars then they are no doubt both working properly. After all the turbos are too small for the motor so any loss will show up because the good turbo does not have flow to spare and compensate.
Optionally, and much easier than speed sensors, would be to measure temperature. Again you have the issue of both dumping into the same spot so heat by compression should be the same, but here’s my thought: If the TC, RTD or whatever is close to the turbo exit then I think it should reveal temp differences if they are not working equally. Say for example one turbo is providing 75% of the air while the other is 25%. The air just after the weaker one should (imo) be hotter. You’d have the same compression heat but the weaker one is beating the air more (more turbo rpms per cfm passing through) and thus make more heat via friction. The turbo speed to boost ratio is not even remotely linear so if it’s outputting say half the air then it’s probably still spinning ~90% speed. Maybe someone can who knows can chime in but that’s my guesstimate. Plus the other turbo will be flowing more air per rpm so it should be cooler than normal making the temp diff more obvious. I won’t even try to guess how much heat is from the friction of the turbine blades, only that it does exist.
Whatever the case, please share if you discovered anything.

’16 E550
So Cal, USA

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.073 seconds.

  Follow me on twitter