Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Transmission Temparature Now Working - But with Problems......

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Transmission Temparature Now Working - But with Problems......
PwnedXJ
Post Transmission Temparature Now Working - But with Problems......
on: August 4, 2011 (GMT)

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I was playing with the live dials. Some updates might have escaped my attention as I saw there is now a Transmission Temp Method 3 that works with my Jeep. However it has some sort of issues as the readings started from 34 then jumped to 70, 80, 81, and then settled at 85. I used it for a short distance in light traffic between office and home. Perhaps this might require more tweaking or is there anything I need to do from my end…..? Thx :)

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Transmission Temparature Now Working - But with Problems......

Hi (got your email, thanks, not had chance to reply yet, but you want to focus on the mode 22 and mode 21 ones, not the mode 06 though :-))

I *think* I recall something special about the jeep PIDs(and the manufacturers implementation in general)… from what I recall off the top of my head, when not in drive/moving the transmission information is the engine coolant temp, but then when you drive it switches to the transmission ecu (or something very similar to that)

The value you have is from the TCM so with a bit of luck it should be the transmission coolant temperature, don’t take it as 100% yet though as I can’t check (I don’t have a jeep to check on)

PwnedXJ

Thanks Ian. I actually noticed those were Mode 6 Pids after sending. But perhaps they might assist with my truck coz I dont get any 02 or EGR readings with the Jeep. I will keep an eye out for Mode 21 and 22 Pids as advised.

About the Trans Temp reading I get what you are saying. I will place the Trans Temp dial and the Engine Coolant dial side by side and check out the readings while car is moving and at a stop and report back…. I may add that the Engine Coolant Temp reads ok and exactly as per the physical dashboard dial.

By the way for the Transmission Temp are we talking about the Trans Coolant temparature or the Trans Oil temparature? I am a bit confused here 😉

ZMBSNPR

I also got excited when I saw trans temp support for my 08 Hemi Ram. That excitement was short lived when I realized that the trans temp reading was the same as engine coolant temp. Even when moving it stayed the same. If there is anything I can do to help Ian I will but I am pretty noobish when it comes to this logging stuff.

piemmm
Administrator
on: August 5, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

I’ll be working on transmission temperature support soon (in the next month) when I come back from holiday, so hopefully, I’ll be able to get full dodge support going

Hemi345
on: August 9, 2011 (GMT)

That sounds great. Same experience here with trans temp reading *about* the same as coolant temp. I had both gauges displayed and trans temp seemed to lag behind engine coolant temp by about 1-2 seconds. Wasn’t till I logged it and graphed it that I noticed that. If I can help too, let me know. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram.

bobg187
on: September 1, 2011 (GMT)

yes.. and i am the same… trans temp reads identical to engine temp… 2007 jeep rubicon 3.8L engine 42RLE auto transmission… i spoke with jeep dealer who stated the ALARM for the HOT OIL (transmission) is set for 250 F.. and normal operating temp should be between 150-180 F…

i am using the PID… OTHER… Trans temp #3 i thought it was working initially but realized it was Centigrade… i wanted it to read out in F… and now its exactly as engine coolant temp :(

please help… and thanks… if there is anything i can do to help just say the word… you’ve got a most excellant program!!!

bob :)

i’m a traveling RN who loves adventure. my 2007 jeep is just the vehicle to take me to new adventures. its even better to have torque pro to see how she’s doing :)

piemmm
Administrator
on: September 4, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

I have found the codes for the Jeep and Chryler transmission temp PIDs (you’ve been using them in your test) however the neon may be an exception as we’ve not been getting anything from your vehicle in paticular. (it does not respond to the PIDs). This might be due to it requiring to be put into a ‘tester present’ mode or a paticular header being set (which I am still investigating)

Regards

Ian

uthe54
on: September 19, 2011 (GMT)

Hello,

I have a 2011 Dodge Dakota w/ the 5 speed transmission. Please let me know if/when the transmission temperature will be available for this truck.

Thanks!

PS, thanks for the awesome program also! Best five bucks i’ve spent!

mfifield
on: February 20, 2012 (GMT)

Any update on the Dodge Transmission temps?

I have an 02 Ram and would like to read the transmission temp. Thanks.

piemmm
Administrator
on: February 21, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

I’d still like to get this working – someone has offered their vehicle for some remote work (It’s waiting on me to get organised enough after moving house to spend some time on it)

mfifield

If there’s any info you need to help, let me know.

I’d really like to monitor my trans temp while towing in the summer.

mfifield

This might help out. I just read it on a Ram forum:

“There is already a sensor in your transmission that reads sump temperature. If you have a scan tool that will read data using PIDs, you can program it to read this thermistor. The PID was A01B on older trucks, and it is B011 on newer trucks (2007 and later, I am sure, but I don’t know how much earlier this code was used). This should return a signed 2-byte value with a scale factor of 0.015625. So you read a 2-byte value (like 11968) and multiply it by 0.015625 to get the measured sump temp in °F (in this example, 187°F).”

charlier
on: March 9, 2012 (GMT)

I have a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L V8 Engine and 6 Speed transmission. Many people with this model do a lot of towing (myself included). Myself and other Tundra owners have noticed that the Torque App does not currently have the ability to display tranny temp. I know my Tundra has a gauge on the dash to show tranny temp but I am looking for something more accurate/reliable.

If there is anything myself or other Tundra owners can do to assist you in getting your app to display the tranny temp in our trucks, please let me know. Thanks

piemmm
Administrator
on: March 10, 2012 (GMT)

Hi!

The app has the ability to display transmission temperature (or any other sensor) it’s just a case of finding the sensor information to put into the ‘extended PIDs’ section of the settings

There are currently 3 methods for measuring transmission temperature (that are similar between a fair few vehicles) – the third (Transmission Temperature – method 3) is accessible in the ‘Manage extra PIDs’ section of the app as the ‘Other’ predefined set. It *might* work for your vehicle

If not, then you may need to hunt for the transmission temperature PIDs- I know that they are readable as the Tacoma has a set of accessible PIDs for transmission temperature (there are 2 depending on the year of manufacture – discussed in the tacoma thread (search above) – one of these may also work/be relevant)

Failing that, it may be worthwhile asking around on some toyota forums – usually some quite knowledgeable people hang around on manufacturer specific forums and they may be in a better position to help

Pentrose
on: January 28, 2013 (GMT)

I am so pleased that at least I get some numbers from my transmission. I agree that they are exactly the same numbers as the coolant temperature numbers. But at least they are numbers.

It might be that the numbers are the same for my Dodge Dakota because the transmission fluid runs through a cooler in the radiator. What we need is someone from a warmer climate who has a trailer to take it on the road for a test. Would the numbers on the transmission dial gradually diverge from the numbers on the coolant dial?

I would do this with my 6000lb trailer, but I live up north and it is still in storage.

Anybody from a warmer area want to do a test drive?

Towing a 6,000 lb. Arctic Fox Trailer with a Dodge Dakota. 4.47L V8 engine. Worried about the transmission overheating while going through the mountains. So this transmission temperature gauge is so helpful to me to monitor the transmission temperature (as well as the other gauges). Love the whole concept. I am telling my friends about Torque.

piemmm
Administrator
on: January 28, 2013 (GMT)

hi

The numbers should not be the same as the coolant temperature – that means that you’re just getting the engine coolant temperature rather than actual transmission temperatures

For Dodge vehicles (at the moment) you can’t read transmission temperature info (mainly because this info isn’t known) – however if it is found out, then you can add it to Torque using the manage extra sensors/pids field

I have made some progress with Jeep transmission temperature readings, which is not too dissimilar from the dodge readings (though a different PID iirc). More functionality pertaining to this will make it into the next update as I have a few things to add PID wise

crna
on: January 29, 2013 (GMT)

Quote from admin on January 28, 2013
hi

The numbers should not be the same as the coolant temperature – that means that you’re just getting the engine coolant temperature rather than actual transmission temperatures

For Dodge vehicles (at the moment) you can’t read transmission temperature info (mainly because this info isn’t known) – however if it is found out, then you can add it to Torque using the manage extra sensors/pids field

I have made some progress with Jeep transmission temperature readings, which is not too dissimilar from the dodge readings (though a different PID iirc). More functionality pertaining to this will make it into the next update as I have a few things to add PID wise

Ian,
Jeep owners are very interested in having the trans temps given the Wrangler’s history of fires from overheated transmissions. Since you are having trouble figuring out how to get the info from the vehicle, could you use some help by looking at another app? The Drive app is specifically geared towards Jeep transmission temps and it works well, even with the newer models. Could you look at this app and use it to see how they are getting access to the trans. temp. data? Thank you.

padgett
on: June 29, 2015 (GMT)

Year and a half later and wondering what is the status.

I have a ’12 Jeep Grand Cherokee (’11 – ’16 should be the same) and the dash can display (one at a time) coolant temp, oil pressure, oil temp and trans temp (when in a drive gear) so these are on the bus.

So far the only thing I have gotten to work always displays the coolant temp.

ps: just checked and transmission temp method one displays the coolant temp and method 2 does not display anything.

pps: downloaded the latest version and do not have a “method 3” – is this an add-on ?

Orlando

padgett
on: July 27, 2015 (GMT)

OK. On my ’12 Jeep I can monitor coolant temp, oil temp, trans temp, and oil pressure in the EVIC on the dash, just one at a time and not all at once. When each displays I suspect that the EVIC is sending a request to the PCM over the CAN bus. Is there a way to monitor this traffic so I may see what changes when I change the selection ?

Orlando

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.075 seconds.

Follow me on twitter