Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Sometimes cannot connect

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Sometimes cannot connect
Vasilich
Post Sometimes cannot connect
on: January 22, 2022 (GMT)

Hello Ian.
As you have fixed the excessive CPU load bug for USB so quickly, i’ll ask to analyze/fix one more bug (?) that annoys me and hinders to enjoy your app:
Sometimes after HU gets secondary power (ACC, but not ignition yet!) the torque app starts to connect to ECU and fails because OBD adapter is powered on, but ECU isn’t yet. After starting engine torque often kinda hangs on “applying custom init” stage without retry to reconnect (i have waited for longet that 15 minutes – nothing has changed). It not really hangs – it just not doing reconnects as it normally does when ACC is on, but ignition is off. The only way to get it connected is to restart torque. It happens very often as my HU going to sleep when ACC is off, so torque isn’t restarting but trying to connect after disconnect state. I never had problems to connect after restart of torque.
If you need to see this bug – let me know, i can record video of it.
I am using latest torque (though it happened at least last two years since i have switched to USB adapter) on HU with Intel SoFIA via OBD adapter with FTDI USB.
Thanks in advance.

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Sometimes cannot connect
on: January 23, 2022 (GMT)

Hi!

I’ll have a look at this, though this one might be a little difficult (from my end) to fix, I will have a try and see if I can put something into the next beta if I find anything

What is the custom init you’re using at the moment? – is it one of the honda ones?

This might be the USB device being cut off by the Head Unit when the unit goes to sleep.

piemmm
Administrator
on: January 23, 2022 (GMT)

Hi!

Made some changes in 1.12.8 which may improve this issue which is in beta on google play now – feedback appreciated

Vasilich
on: January 24, 2022 (GMT)

installed latest version tonight – unfortunately, still same trouble.
I have seen at least once that in status line it has changed from “applying custom init” (not sure about wording – it was translated) to something different and late again to “custom init” but it couldn’t connect.
Restarting torque – and connected in less than 3 seconds.
Anything that i can help with? any log file, screenshot, video?

Lakisdj
Post Re: After the first installation
on: January 24, 2022 (GMT)

After the first installation, then I did not start and the following message comes out. I uninstall the application, I go through it again, it works, and the next day again the same message dances to run the application!

piemmm
Administrator
on: January 25, 2022 (GMT)

Hi!

Vasilich:

Hm – I’ll need to look into that a bit more then as it might be the USB init code having trouble talking to the adapter – this is possibly due to the way the headunit starts up. I’ll have a look to see if I can get it ‘stuck’ over here and will then probably put any fixes into the next beta if I find anything

Lakisdj:

If you uninstall and reinstall you’ll need to tell Torque to use the USB adapter instead of the bluetooth device (if you are using USB)

Vasilich
on: January 25, 2022 (GMT)

Quote from admin on January 25, 2022
it might be the USB init code having trouble talking to the adapter – this is possibly due to the way the headunit starts up

but then why it always works after torque restart?

Steffe2
on: January 26, 2022 (GMT)

Got a similar (same?) issue. If I turn on the lights from my remote, the device wakes up or something, and I have to remove the device and start pairing again with the program turned off.

Using a Obdlink MX.

If I unlock the car with the phone in range, it almost always works as it should.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

Is the MX Wired or USB? and are the power saving settings enabled in the app?

It all helps to narrow this specific issue down so I can replicate it here and then fix it

Vasilich: Android presents the USB in different states depending if the user plugged in the device, the headunit/device restarts USB, or the user restarts the app

Vasilich

Is there any way to reinitialize USB device/port in the app without restarting the app?

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

That’s what I’ll be looking into, but first I need to understand exactly why the adapter isn’t initializing properly in some headunits before that, as it the init is run in all situations.

Vasilich

Tested it a bit more. Clear steps to reproduce:
1. OBD adapter has power, but ECU is off (my adapter get its power not from OBD but from external ACC wire). In that mode torque cannot connect and this is normal. Note that HU was awake already for a long time, so USB should be already initialized.
2. Switch on ignition, so ECU has power and can respond. Torque cannot connect – here we have problem.

It has nothing to do with HU wakeup from snandby or other USB initialisation things – i can reproduce it even after torque has been connected: just switch ignition off (so that OBD adapter is still powered, but cannot connect to ECU), wait some seconds until torque loses its connection to ECU (car icon in status bar starts to flash), and then switch ignition back on.

To get torque to connect again:
1. either restart app
2. or go to “edit profile”, do not change anything just press “save” and go to dashboard – torque gets connected.

Saying this i just want to point your researches in a right direction in a hope that it can be fixed soon :)

Steffe2
on: January 27, 2022 (GMT)

Quote from admin on January 26, 2022
Hi!

Is the MX Wired or USB? and are the power saving settings enabled in the app?

It all helps to narrow this specific issue down so I can replicate it here and then fix it

Vasilich: Android presents the USB in different states depending if the user plugged in the device, the headunit/device restarts USB, or the user restarts the app

It’s just connected to the OBD-port, connecting via bluetooth.

Yeah, just checked the settings, and I have the power saving enabled, since I have it plugged in at all times.

Vasilich
on: January 28, 2022 (GMT)

Ian, do you need more details from me on how to reproduce this bug? Have you been able to reproduce it at your side?

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

I have a large few updates to do today with some of the plugins, once I’ve done that I’ll be able to work on looking at the usb (or possibly not usb, but custom init related(where using custom init turns off some checks)) issue you’re having

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

When it’s “Not working” are the TX/RX lights on the adapter(if it has tx/rx lights) flashing at a slower rate still indicating communication or very infrequently?

Vasilich

the flashing speed changes every 10-20 seconds, so it seems that internally torque changes its communication state with OBD, but GUI always show “custom init” in that case.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

OK – last thing to test (which will tell me the best way to recover your connection when it’s in that state)

When it is “not working”, Can you switch vehicle profiles (and then switch back) which will force the connection to be reset (without restarting Torque itself). If you could let me know if it starts working if you do that then I can probably come up with a workable solution

Vasilich

yes, it can connect then – see one of my previous posts

Quote from Vasilich on January 26, 2022
To get torque to connect again:
1. either restart app
2. or go to “edit profile”, do not change anything just press “save” and go to dashboard – torque gets connected.

piemmm
Administrator
on: January 29, 2022 (GMT)

Hi!

Ok, think I know where this is now – one more question:

What PIDs are you using, are you using any of the standard OBD2 PIDs, or are you using extended PIDs only? (what does the Adapter Status ‘supported sensors’ screen say for supported sensors?)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.064 seconds.

Follow me on twitter