Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » I know Torque is fun, but what do you USE it for that's truly useful?

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: I know Torque is fun, but what do you USE it for that's truly useful?
moreause
Post Re: I know Torque is fun, but what do you USE it for that
on: January 30, 2015 (GMT)

i mostly use it because i tune my car

so i check afr/boost level/knock
check injector duty cycle and tell my self i need bigger one lol
and mostly i log all the time so if a problem appear …like a cop that say i did something i didn’t do, i will have proof

that would be 2 proof i also have a camera lol

Haligan
on: February 3, 2015 (GMT)

I just used Torque to troubleshoot my diesel truck. The dash gauges do not show oil temperature. I used Torque to check the oil temperature and found out my oil cooler was clogged. Saved me from doing more damage to the engine.

F-150Torqued
on: February 19, 2015 (GMT)

@djturnz –

I have just learned of (and begun to use) another awesome diagnostic feature of the Torque Pro program.

You can specify ANY of the PID readings you want to “LOG” to a Torque log file – and specify the logging frequency.

Then upload the file, or email the file, and view it. OR copy the file from your phone to your desktop computer an IMPORT THE FILE INTO Microsoft Excel, where it is very easy to “graph” the data.

This type visualization of various signals controlling your engine is invaluable.

See http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=5657.0

See also: http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=4531.0
by Capp777

Hope you can get the full benefit out of your App.

————

F-150Torqued
on: March 10, 2015 (GMT)

@djturnz –

I’VE GOT ANOTHER USE FOR TORQUE PRO FOR YOU. A “BLACK BOX”

The Buick dealership picked up my wife’s car to complete a factory recall on it. SO….

I plugged my Bluetooth connector in, opened Torque logging and set it to Start logging to a new file every time it connects to the ECU, set it to log GPS location, Accelerator Position, Speed, RPM and Mass Air Flow.

Then put my phone in Airplane Mode (so it wouldn’t ring), turned the screen brightness down to 0% (to conserve battery), and left it under the back seat.

When I got the car back, I could look at the Log and see everywhere the car had been driven, how FAST, HOW HARD, and everything – just like a “black box”.

Fortunately, they did not abuse the car at all.

This trick could be used to see how teenage kids are treating the family car !!!!

HAPPY TORQUING

———-

TheArtofRalli
on: March 17, 2015 (GMT)

I do stuff like this:

http://www.spatialstage.com/3DMotorsportVis.pdf

Tinter
on: November 16, 2015 (GMT)

after few problems with DPF I decided to buy WBH-BT5 dongle. My car is VW T5 1.9 tdi MY2006.
After two days I´m able to read everything what my ECU shows. My second diagnostic tool is ODIS 2.2.3 so editing ecuid.txt is very simple because I know meaning of blocks/values.

On screen I use this gauges:

EGT in front of turbocharger
EGT in DPF
DPF how full it is in %
Kilometers from last regeneration
Duration of regeneration
Coolant temp.
Oil temp.
Boost
Torque

What I miss is support for other control units like climatronic, auxilary heating, instruments etc.

this units show another usefull data.

FntX
on: November 20, 2015 (GMT)

I’m using it mainly as early warning system and monitoring so I know when the engine really is at the perfect temperature. In my case he coolant temperature is completely missing from the dashboard so torque helps me see just that.

Another aspect is data logging and I already took advantage of that when I was inflicted in an accident where debris flew into my car and I was asked by the insurer to prove that I was indeed at the place at that the time accident happened.

And there are speed traps that aren’t quite set-up like they should and so this helps, too.

The other gauges are there just for fun because it looks cool when the pedal hits the metal and all the gauges just move.
Do I need to know when the engine is at 100%? Heck no but it looks great for sure 😀

F-150Torqued
on: January 9, 2016 (GMT)

JUST DISCOVERED ANOTHER VALUABLE “USE” FOR TORQUE PRO. They are absolutely unlimited if you think about it. They just depend on your own specific problem or needs.

I had an unexplainable ABS pulsing in my brake pedal – only occasionally. ABS light would be set occasionally for the duration of a drive cycle, but reset on next startup. (classic intermittent problem. I had no idea where to look or which wheel sensor or circuit to focus on trying to repair this).

I added a Speedometer gauge and gauges for “ABS Wheel Speed” 1 through 4 to a dashboard and monitored wheel speeds for several days – BUT could NEVER “catch” one that looked abnormal – even when the ABS Light would come on. All four seemed to always read the same as the vehicle speed. Any intermittency was too short to catch.

Knowing ABS is activated (causing the break peddle to pulse) when one wheels speed registers a lower speed (greater deceleration rate) than the other wheels – I created a custom PID named “ABS ERROR”, and gave it the formula of ‘ VAL{Speed (OBD)}-VAL{ABS Wheel Speed X} ‘ where “X” is 1 through 4 for left front around the vehicle to the left rear. A gauge for ABS ERROR added to the dashboard would generally show zero on each ABS Wheel Speed. Never more than -1 to +1. However gauges that show maximum or minimum readings during the run, or a graph gauge would show ABS Wheel Speed 2 (RF) occasionally crazy high reading. The formula (Speed – Wheel Speed) should NEVER read very much above zero. Ahhhh. Something has to be intermittent in the circuit for the right front ABS Wheel speed sensor.

Sure enough, a poor connection in the sensor circuit to wheel 2 (Right Front). Problem solved without paying a shop or even break shop looking at it. THANKS TORQUE PRO.

ie:

—————-

tzfardaya
on: February 3, 2016 (GMT)

Mines pretty basic, I’m using torque to replace some missing gauges from my cluster. Namely temp Guage, mazda seems to thing that a engine cool and engine hot lamp is all that’s needed… (one blue light one red light… Yay.) no Way to check temperature trends or current temp. . I also use it to display fuel economy, instant and long term, and how much fuel us in the tank. Again, my mazda just has an 8bar indicator light to show fuel… I prefer either a sliding needle or percentage, so I read fuel level from the ecu. . I also get torque to estimate distance to empty as well. .
So, I’m using torque more for fuel efficiency than anything else.

nfshp253
on: February 5, 2016 (GMT)

I use Torque as a BlackBox. The Track Recorder doesn’t work properly so I use a start a background video recording, and launch Torque afterwards. When I get home, I put the video and .csv data through Dashware and get something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mn4QBEXH4c

ddr1958
on: May 24, 2016 (GMT)

I use it to get better MPG. The real reason I keep it is reading my transmission temp for towing.

strategy400
on: July 19, 2016 (GMT)

I mainly monitor coolant and transmission temps on my 98 Suburban with 6 inch lift and 33 inch tires. The tires put a little extra strain on the trans. It gets warm going up the mountains. I like that the phone can give a verbal warning when a set point is exceeded. I can pull over and watch both coolant and trans temps go down as it idles. I’ve found by putting the trans into 3rd the temps stay down (less torque converter shear on the ATF, more fan into the radiator and trans cooler).
I also monitor coolant on my 2000 Toyota Avalon.
I also like that I can compare GPS speed to OBD speed to see if my tires are affecting the speedo a lot.

Pages: 1 [2]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 2.512 seconds.

Follow me on twitter