Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » OBD2 on Japanese Cars

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: OBD2 on Japanese Cars
zafar
Post Success!! OBD2 on Japanese Cars
on: June 7, 2011 (GMT)

***Success!! Please see my last post!!!***

I have Torque installed on my Galaxy Tab an Have the clone yellow and blue OBD2 adapter.
Torque detects the OBD2 module but cannot read the protocol for communicating with the ECU. It says “no response from the ECU is your ignition turned on?”
I have tried both with the ignition on and the car running. I have also tried disabling the elm327 auto adjust and with try faster communication.

The cars i have tried are:
1) 2004 Toyota Caldina GT-Four
2) 2002 Toyota IST(also called 2005 Scion Xa)
3) 2003 Nissan Sunny B15

All these cars have the OBD2 plug. The Toyotas have pins 4, 7, 9, 12, 13, and 16.
I am assuming from the above that the protocol is ISO 9141 protocol or KWP2000
Most of our cars here are from Japan. They are many people who have scanners in workshops so i know at a basic we can get the fault codes from the plug.

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: OBD2 on Japanese Cars

Hi

Torque should work on those vehicles.

If it is not, then a good way to test the blue/yellow adapter is in a Ford. If it doesn’t work, then you need to throw the adapter in the bin or return it to whoever sold it to you. These adapters are simply not tested before they are shipped given the high amount of faults users have encoutered

Ian

zafar

Ok will test in on other cars. My brother has a ford focus zetec made in the UK. I also can test it on a Skoda Octavia – Dont Know if it uses the same plug.
Would you recommend OBDKey? I have to import everything.

piemmm
Administrator

Ah, OBDKey and Scantool are both adapters that I myself use regularly, and haven’t got the horrible issues that the cheap fleabay adapters have! They should be infinitely better than the ebay/amazon alternatives.

Basically, if your vehicles support OBD2, then the adapter/app will work. If the vehicle supports OBD2 and the adapter doesn’t work then you’re using a clone adapter. I have yet to have a user that has an issue with the more expensive OBDKey/Scantool adapters on an OBD2 compliant vehicle! :-)

Ian

zafar

Thanks Ian. Will test and get back with the results.

turinishe
on: June 8, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

in Russia, many cars from Japan and there is also a problem of access to the ECU.
Enthusiasts are developing a program for PC:
http://pccar.ru/showthread.php?t=11362

Working init string for ELM in this prog for Toyota Corolla/Fielder/RUNX/ALLEX NZE121/ Vitz SZFE:
ATZ
ATE0
ATSP4
ATAL
ATIIA13
ATIB96
ATSH8113F1
ATST32
ATSW00

piemmm
Administrator

Out of those you should only need to use:

(possibly)AT IIA 13
AT SH 8113F1
(possibly) ATAL

I’m a bit puzzled as to why ATSW00 is required? Do you have a specific case why the wake ups are turned off?

The only real difference will be the AT SH 8113F1 command, Torque should handle the rest itself automatically. I’ll see if I can add custom header commands in the app in an upcoming version. (it will most likely be an extension of the vehicle profile)

Ian

turinishe

I do not know for what used ATSW00. It from the ELM config file.

Toyota powertrain DTCs from this prog. English & Russian.
http://zalil.ru/31219387

zafar
on: June 9, 2011 (GMT)

Hi Ian,
Looks like the Dongle is a dud. I tested it with the ford and it didnt communicate with the ECU with the ignition on, car running or in diagnostic mode where all parameters were being displayed on the small odometer screen. I also tested it with a Skoda Octavia same thing no connection to the ECU.Looks like will throw it in the bin.
My cousin has the VAG com cable and software. He tried it on my car but could not connect to the ECU. I am assuming this is because its VAG or is there some relation with the post above?

I have seen the Kiwi dongle online. I will order it and get back to you when i get it.

turinishe
on: June 22, 2011 (GMT)

Hi Ian

What about custom header?
Are you still planning this feature?

Alex

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

You can put a custom header in the vehicle profile, or as part of extended PIDs

Ian

turinishe

Hi, Ian

Quote from admin on June 22, 2011
You can put a custom header in the vehicle profile, or as part of extended PIDs
Ian

I do not have field for header
“use alternative OBD header” is last parameter in profile

ps i run on HTC HD2 with Desire HD firmware, russian lang

piemmm
Administrator

Yes you are correct – then tick the box as it changes the header to what some vehicle ECUs may expect.

I need to put a few ‘advanced’ features into the profile editor as well, I will add that to the list behind an ‘advanced’ button in the next couple of versions

turinishe
on: June 23, 2011 (GMT)

Hi Ian

take a look these toyota PIDs:
http://zalil.ru/31319418
it may be useful

Alex

zafar
on: July 5, 2011 (GMT)

Ordered Kiwi Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor. Should be here in 2 weeks.

zafar
on: August 12, 2011 (GMT)

Hey Ian,
PLX OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter has arrived. Took longer than i expected. Will test over the weekend and get back with the results. Really hope it works.

randydede
on: August 14, 2011 (GMT)

Is there any custom PID programs for Acura or Honda? How do I get the extended PID’s to work? Not a Techy.

I hve a 2006 Acura TL. Work for Verzon Wireless.

zafar
on: August 17, 2011 (GMT)

Hi Ian,
Same thing with a PLX Kiwi bluetooth adapter. Connects to the dongle fine but cannot detect the protocol. I now also have a 2002 Nissan Xtrail with the following pins on the OBD2 connector 1,4,5,6,8,9,10,12,13,16 doesn’t work on this as well.
What can i try next?

“** Congrats on the wedding and enjoy your holiday!!! will pick it up when you get back.
When you get the time look at this product – Blitz R-Vit it hooks onto any japanese car OBD2 plug(1996 onwards) and does the same thing of giving live parameters”

zafar
on: September 17, 2011 (GMT)

Hey Ian,
Any response to this thread would be great. Positive/ Negative no problem.
Just wanted to share the below information from the foreign program that is able to connect to my JDM ECU and give live sensor readings.
Let me know if you can include this in your program.

Protocol is ISO-14 230. Com speed is 38400. Type init = fast. RTO = 20. Duration of low pulse at the start Fast Init = 34. Length level of the initial momentum in the Fast Init = 14. Address ECU = 13. Rate of speed = 1.0 Request for 5Baud Init = 01 00.

Let me know if you require any more info.

piemmm
Administrator
on: September 17, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

You need to find out if the vehicle is OBD2 compliant – if it is then the app will just start working. Some nissans use the consult protocol (nissans proprietary protocol ) which is not part of the OBD2 specification

OBD2 isn’t just the ‘talk to the ECU wire’ protocol, but the actual request response protocol as well (it covers several things including the shape/location of the diagnostic connector) which the vehicle must support all of, to be OBD2 compliant.

If you can, let the app connect to one of the vehicles that you believe is OBD2 compliant, let it run for a minute, then go to the realtime info screen->menu->more…->send debugging info->Write a description (so I know who it’s from as I get quite a few random debugs) then press send/ok and wait for the sent ok message.

I’ll have a look at the debugs and see what the adapter is saying

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.067 seconds.

Follow me on twitter