Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » PLX Kiwi2 w/iMFD adapter

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PLX Kiwi2 w/iMFD adapter
G8orFord
Post PLX Kiwi2 w/iMFD adapter
on: January 12, 2016 (GMT)

I recently got a Kiwi2 BT, the iMFD adapter, EGT and fuel pressure sensors and modules to use with Torque. The iMFD stuff works well as do most of the rest of the PCM supplied inputs. However, Torque will randomly lose some of the PCM inputs. I have a Ford 6.0 diesel so I monitor EOT, VGT%, FICM voltages, battery/charging voltage and others, but I mention those specifically because they are the ones that I’ve noticed dropping out. Usually it’s EOT, but battery voltage drops pretty often too. Normally I’ll get the “Faulty OBD Adapter” message, but not always, or at least not right away. I’ve already setup an RMA with PLX to get the Kiwi2 checked out, but I was wondering if this is a common problem with the Kiwi2 and/or if anyone has had experience with the device or company. I know they advertise that their device is Torque compatible.

G8orFord
Post Re: PLX Kiwi2 w/iMFD adapter
on: February 24, 2016 (GMT)

BUMP!

And and update.

Since I got no response on my original question either here or through direct email, I decided to try a different app and see if the problem persisted. It does not. DashCommand by PPE has no issue dropping the random extended PIDs. Granted, they do not cover as many extended PIDs as Torque does, but they do have all of the major ones covered and they have support for the PLX iMFD sensors. To my elementary mind, this would point to a bug in Torque Pro since I’m running the same adapter, tablet, OS version and all other hardware (PLX stuff) with Dashcommand that I ran under Torque and ZERO issues with the functionality. I should add that I also purchased another Kiwi2 adapter to use while the first one got RMA’d. It performed exactly like the first one did, dropping PID updates. Once I verified that the problem was Torque Pro specific, I didn’t bother to send either unit back for RMA.

I really like Torque and have been using it for over two years. It’s simplicity and ease of modifying the screens are great, but if I can’t get consistent data using the PLX adapter, I’ll have to stick with Dashcommand.

Please help.

G8orFord
on: February 25, 2016 (GMT)

Bump.

piemmm
Administrator
on: February 26, 2016 (GMT)

Hi!

Torque reads data faster than most other obd apps out there, so if there’s a timing issue with the adapter, then you’re more likely to see it in the app.

If you disable ‘Faster communications’ then you’ll likely see less of a problem (or the issue may disappear altogether, though all adapters should work flawlessly with this option enabled)

When you have the faster communications enabled, can you enable debugging (in the general settings), quit and restart the app, then send me a debug when the problem happens (the faulty OBD2 adapter message – as soon as you see that, send the debug). you can send the debug by going to the realtime information screen, press menu, and then choose ‘send debugging information’. Put your forum name and PLX iMFD into the box that pops up (so i can find the debug here) and I’ll have a look at the debugs to see what’s going on at the adapter

G8orFord
on: February 26, 2016 (GMT)

I appreciate the response. I’ll get the log to you as soon as I can. I have tried it with ‘Faster Communications’ enabled and disabled and had the same issue with both of the PLX adapters. At least I think I tried it with both. I never had this problem with my OBDlink MX and there is no question that the PIDs updated much faster with the MX. I also added a new screen and dropped the number of PIDs I was monitoring down to about 6 and had the same problem.

G8orFord
on: February 27, 2016 (GMT)

I sent the log yesterday afternoon around 5:15 Central time. I didn’t see exactly when the “Faulty OBDII Adapter” message came on, but it should be within the last 5 minutes or so. The EOT PID was still showing the proper value when I started the log sending, but had changed to 32°F by the time I got back to the monitor screen.

‘Faster Communications’ was disabled.

piemmm
Administrator
on: February 27, 2016 (GMT)

Hi!

Got the debugs, thanks!

From them I did notice that there was an instance of 012F being requested from 7E1 instead of 7E0 (a different ECU), which seems a bit odd and could be the result of an app optimisation that’s done at build time which I’ll need to investigate further. Hopefully I’ll find what is the issue and will get it fixed within the next 2 updates

Edit: ok that above issue is unrelated after looking at it a bit more (though it is still something I’m going to fix). Pretty sure I think I know what’s going on now though as it seems that the bluetooth connection is occasionally dropped and reconnected (I can see instances of LV RESET from the adapter indicating a possible bad connection or under-voltage resets).. I will see if I can improve this behaviour in an update as that does have a knock-on effect to requesting PIDs if it thinks the adapter is being flakey or the bluetooth connection isn’t stable

Edit2: Also looking at this a little further, I’ve noticed you have PIDs that are too ‘big’: ‘22117201’ (this should be ‘221172’ only – which would also cause issues. Torque appends any extras needed automatically. ‘22131001’ is also another one that’s too big and should just be ‘221310’)

G8orFord
on: February 28, 2016 (GMT)

What would cause the “big” PIDs? The only custom PID I use is a calculation of the difference EOT and ECT temps. All of the others are built in or Ford extended PIDs.

G8orFord
on: March 4, 2016 (GMT)

Saw there was an update yesterday and that it dealt with some Kiwi 2 issues. Installed it and checked it this morning, but still have the same issue. Within 20 minutes, EOT started reading 32°F. Not sure if this update wa supposed to fix my issue or the other issues you found. Just thought I’d report my findings.

G8orFord
on: March 12, 2016 (GMT)

Bump to check for new developments.

G8orFord
on: April 4, 2016 (GMT)

Bump.

piemmm
Administrator
on: August 26, 2016 (GMT)

Ok, having a look at this, this morning

piemmm
Administrator
on: August 26, 2016 (GMT)

OK, made some changes to what I think is happening. hopefully that will sort it out for you – I’m not 100% sure why it’s doing it but I guess that the adapter is glitching or not replying sometimes for the PIDs in question, though I have tried to put a workaround in

You’ll get that in the next beta update (if you’re opted-in) or the next main app update which should hopefully be happening “Real soon now”

If it doesn’t fix it, then a debug of it happening (when it’s stuck) would be invaluable

G8orFord
on: August 29, 2016 (GMT)

Not sure how to opt-in to beta releases, so I guess I’ll wait for the main app update.

Edit: Found a link to opt-in to the beta testing in another thread. Now in.

G8orFord
on: September 2, 2016 (GMT)

Whatever you did seems to have fixed the problem. EOT continued to update for my hour and 15 minute drive to work this morning. Previously, it would have stopped updating and went to 32°F within 10-15 minutes.

G8orFord
on: September 2, 2016 (GMT)

An update to my update.
I looked at it a little closer on another drive today and the EOT is dropping back to 32°F at times, but it recovers and comes back to the running temp. Just thought you should know that.

G8orFord
on: September 6, 2016 (GMT)

Update to my update to my update.

It still craps out. Pretty sure it’s got something to do with the iMFD stuff since on a restart, I can get EOT back but lose my iMFD inputs.

G8orFord
on: September 29, 2016 (GMT)

Yep, the problem is still there. It does last longer before it craps out, but it still loses it. I’ve also seen the numbers go bonkers for a second or two and then go back to normal. Eventually though, the EOT pid quits reading or something. I tried it this morning after the latest update and it still did it, but the funny thing is, the pid usually just goes back to reading 32°F. This morning it was reading -46°F.

piemmm
Administrator

ok, can you turn debugging on, and when it ‘craps out’ can you send it to me if you have a chance – there may still be room for improvement on this as long as I can see what’s going on (when I tested it last time I did leave it running for a couple of hours and it seemed fine, though that was on a testbench and not in a vehicle)

G8orFord

Yes, I’ll run a debug this afternoon on the way home and send it to you.

Pages: [1] 2
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.063 seconds.

Follow me on twitter