Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » ENGINE OIL PRESSURE is not important

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ENGINE OIL PRESSURE is not important
F-150Torqued
Post ENGINE OIL PRESSURE is not important
on: April 6, 2015 (GMT)

I am trying to create an “Engine Oil Pressure” gauge in Torque Pro app.

However, I have not been able to find the PID # for Engine Oil Pressure on a 2004 Ford F150 5.4L Triton engine (or ANY other Ford). I have a “Torque Scan” and over 200 PIDs respond to Torque commands. But in all my research, I have been unable to match up any one them for Engine Oil Pressure.

It does not make sense that the ECU would not be reading analogue engine oil pressure. There is Engine Oil Temperature (in Degrees) and I have found some much less important PID’s such as:

Power Steering Pressure Switch Input HIGH/LOW
Power Steering Pressure Input VOLTS
A/C Head Pressure Switch Input OPEN/CLOSED
Generator Field Control Output %

and several other ones that seem less important than that – even almost stupid.

Can ANYONE / ANYWHERE point me to a PID # (or range) for Engine Oil Pressure – or is oil pressure unimportant on a Ford? [ You supposed to just go by the “toy gauge” on the instrument cluster until the engine craters ] Lol

BY THE WAY. There are listed FORD DTC codes ( P0520 thru P0524) relating to Oil Pressure – So WHY doesn’t the ECU output the actual analogue reading on SOME PID #?

——-

MPD56
Post Re: ENGINE OIL PRESSURE is not important
on: April 6, 2015 (GMT)

I believe that there is only a oil pressure switch like in the 6.7L and 6.4L Diesel. Ford only cares if there is oil pressure or not.

From Ford Documents
EOP (Engine Oil Pressure)
• The EOP (Engine Oil Pressure) is a switch
that closes a circuit to ground after engine oil
pressure reaches approximately 5-7psi.
• This switch controls the oil pressure gauge on the
instrument panel. When pressure is above 7psi
the gauge will read normal and if the pressure
drops below 5 psi the gauge will show 0.
• The information from the switch is not sent back to the
ECM in any way and is to be used as a reference only.

MrNielsen2000
on: April 7, 2015 (GMT)

Seems crazy, but oil pressure is not one of the standard OBD-II PIDs. It’s not just Ford.

F-150Torqued
on: April 7, 2015 (GMT)

@MPD56 and @MrNielsen2000;

Thank you for the informative responses. I didn’t know about other makes, but I have searched pretty exhaustively for one (either published or unpublished) for the Ford 5.4L. OIL PRESSURE is so highly important for proper operation of the variable valve timing system(s), and with all the emphasis on mileage & emissions (both beneficiaries of VVT systems), it doesn’t make sense at all. With over 200 responding PID’s (many that I don’t know what are yet!) – I keep thinking/hoping there would be one hidden in there somewhere, if only intended for the proprietary OEM shops diagnostics machines, hence my metaphoric title on this thread.

Two bit oriented PID’s, 16B1 bit 5 (VCTA – Control Circuit Monitor ON/OFF), and 16B1 bit 6 (VCTENA – Conditions Correct to Enable VCT YES/NO) are periodically set on my vehicle – and disable VCT operation. It seems that one condition the ECU would need to set those flags (although certainly not the only one) would be EOP.

Besides that, it borders on negligent misrepresentation to take a mechanical switch closure (oil pressure SWITCH) designed to switch between 5-7 psi, and display the closed condition as mid-range on an analogue gauge on the instrument cluster marked “L” | “H”. Especially when it requires apparently 20 psi or so reliably operate the VVT system.

Thanks again to both for the response. If I ever uncover any info, I will post it here.

——-

gijoecam
on: April 10, 2015 (GMT)

Ford (and most automakers, not to mention the vast majority of customers) doesn’t care what the actual pressure reading is… Only that it HAS pressure. They all have a minimum pressure, and that’s the point at which it trips the pressure switch, but most Fords do not have a sensor to indicate the variable pressure.

sakooon
on: April 13, 2015 (GMT)

I keep thinking/hoping there would be one hidden in there somewhere, if only intended for the proprietary OEM shops diagnostics machines, hence my metaphoric title on this thread.????
http://e-six-sigma.com/

F-150Torqued
on: April 13, 2015 (GMT)

@sakooon;

Thank you for a thought provoking response. It could be taken multiple ways. (no offense taken.)

But I quote from my April 7 post –
“… it borders on negligent misrepresentation to take a mechanical switch closure (oil pressure SWITCH) designed to switch between 5-7 psi, and display the closed condition as mid-range on an analogue gauge on the instrument cluster marked “L” | “H”. Especially when it requires apparently 20 psi or so reliably operate the VVT system.”

Also,
[ Quote WkikpediA ]

“Role of the 1.5 sigma shift

Experience has shown that processes usually do not perform as well in the long term as they do in the short term.[5] As a result, the number of sigmas that will fit between the process mean and the nearest specification limit may well drop over time, compared to an initial short-term study.[5] To account for this real-life increase in process variation over time, an empirically-based 1.5 sigma shift is introduced into the calculation.[5][22] According to this idea, a process that fits 6 sigma between the process mean and the nearest specification limit in a short-term study will in the long term fit only 4.5 sigma – either because the process mean will move over time, or because the long-term standard deviation of the process will be greater than that observed in the short term, or both.[5]”
[End quote]

Hope all the FORD engineers read this thread.

——-

MPD56
on: April 14, 2015 (GMT)

I’m sure most of the Ford Engineers are aware of Six Sigma Black Belts. Sometimes too much information clouds the mind and potential negative affects. It is why Henry Ford didn’t get along with the Bean Counters.

MikeFromHC
on: June 10, 2015 (GMT)

My 91 explorer has a gage but is hooked to a switch. Apparently too many people didn’t know that it’s normal for oil pressure to fluctuate, so they put in one that is “binary”

F-150Torqued
on: June 11, 2015 (GMT)

@MikeFromHC

You’re correct. Researching the issue more, I’ve learned too many people still don’t know that 10 lbs at idle is nothing to worry about. There is little to no load on the main bearings or rod bearings at 650-700 rpms. And variable valve timing is literally disabled by the onboard computer in a no load / idle condition. As long as oil pressure comes up smartly with any acceleration ( ie: at lease 20-25 lbs at 1000) rpms, and maintains at least 40 – 50 at cruse speeds), the engine will suffer no ill effect.

However, It still torques me off that Ford puts something that looks exactly like an analogue oil pressure gage on the instrument cluster and then connects it to a make/break switch to read Zero below 5-7 psi and slightly over mid-range above 5-7psi.

——-

OutlawImages
on: July 4, 2019 (GMT)

2001 Ford E150 Econoline van also no Oil Pressure option seen

I would think that something so crucial as Oil Pressure would be available always

So no way around it I cant add Oil pressure huh?

Live in Northern California and live/work and travel in my van conversion doing photography

moreause
on: July 5, 2019 (GMT)

Most of the time oil pressure is just an on off switch

since most of the time you just need oil pressure, the amount is irrelevant to the engine operation

Zulu95
on: March 2, 2020 (GMT)

My ’96 Explorer LTD V8 had the stupid switch wired to the gauge. There was a hack to install a proper sensor, short/remove a 10 ohm resistor on the dash circuit board and make the needle actually work.
I am told newer Fords etc with a Bosch based variable oil pump should have a proper (3 wire) oil pressure sensor. The sensor supplies a signal to the computer to control the output of the pump. That signal can be accessed and read as oil pressure.
I have a OBD II gauge that reads it and an app for my BMW x5 with the N55 engine.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.078 seconds.

Follow me on twitter