Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Data Use in Android

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Data Use in Android
alphacat63
Post Data Use in Android
on: November 22, 2014 (GMT)

I’n new to the whole “smartphone” thing, but I’m going on advice that I’ve heard elsewhere. I’m getting an OBDII bluetooth device to use with this app and an android device. My question is- how much data should I expect to use? I’ll need to get a data plan w/ my phone carrier. I’m just wondering how many GIGs I should need? What do you all use?

Thanks

gbynum
Post Re: Data Use in Android
on: November 23, 2014 (GMT)

I use a tablet without a data plan, either saving files internally then copying to my PC or emailing when at a WiFi connection (usually at home).
George

alphacat63

So you are using an Android smartphone without a data plan and it doesn’t cost anything? That was my question. Besides, I plan on using this in “real time” to monitor things like transmission temp while towing a trailer so that if it gets too hot, I’ll know to pull over before before trouble sets in.

gbynum

I’m using an Android Tablet without phone or LTE capability, thus not even data plan capability.

I have, internet use only, used an Android phone with no phone or data plan with my home WiFi to demonstrate some functionality to a friend. This did not use Bluetooth, but I see no reason it wouldn’t work.

Have you tried and failed? What kind of problem?

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

You only really need a data plan for Torque if you plan on uploading in real-time to the web server for later review (or your own server)

The fault code lookup has a ‘web lookup’ option to see if another source has a better diagnosis(or suggestions) for fault codes if you can’t find what you want in Torque’s internal fault code database (for the web lookup, you’ll need a data connection if you don’t want to do this over wifi)

Themes/skins, can be downloaded over wifi, so you won’t need a cell contact for that

The bluetooth OBD2 device doesn’t need a cell data connection to work, so it won’t use any of your data, it’s bluetooth, which is local to the phone and the OBD2 device (it’s separate to any cell data plan and doesn’t need it to function)

Hopefully that should cover most things! :-)

alphacat63

Quote from admin on November 23, 2014
Hi!

You only really need a data plan for Torque if you plan on uploading in real-time to the web server for later review (or your own server)

The fault code lookup has a ‘web lookup’ option to see if another source has a better diagnosis(or suggestions) for fault codes if you can’t find what you want in Torque’s internal fault code database (for the web lookup, you’ll need a data connection if you don’t want to do this over wifi)

Themes/skins, can be downloaded over wifi, so you won’t need a cell contact for that

The bluetooth OBD2 device doesn’t need a cell data connection to work, so it won’t use any of your data, it’s bluetooth, which is local to the phone and the OBD2 device (it’s separate to any cell data plan and doesn’t need it to function)

Hopefully that should cover most things! :-)

Thanks! I was just wondering what sort of data plan I should go with. As I said, I’m very much a novice when it comes to smartphones. I’d like to use this to monitor transmission and/or engine temp while towing a trailer. So it’s not like I’ll get hit with a huge bill from my carrier?

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.023 seconds.

Follow me on twitter