Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Using my son's phone on my truck

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Using my son's phone on my truck
BJL
Post Using my son's phone on my truck
on: October 22, 2014 (GMT)

I have an OBDLink LX Bluetooth for my 1997 Tacoma. I’d like to use Torque Pro, but my cellphone isn’t a smart phone. I plan to use my son’s Android, but I’d like to know the best way to set up this program. Can I download it onto my computer and then transfer it to his phone, or does he need to download it directly onto his phone? Can I use my email and credit card, or does he need to use his? Sorry to complicate things, but us seniors are a bit behind the times when it comes to technology. I’m open to any suggestions you have to offer.

BJL
Post Re: Using my son
on: October 22, 2014 (GMT)

I’m still not clear. Are you saying that everything needs to be in my son’s name, or can it all be in my name but running on his phone?

Also, what happens when he buys a new phone and gives me his old one? Will I have to buy the program again?

GaryDoug
on: October 23, 2014 (GMT)

I have Torque Pro installed on my old phone and it still works even though it hasn’t been connected to a data service or wifi for over a year.

Electrical test engineer

BJL

But will there be a problem if the phone number for the phone is changed?

I hope there is someone who can address my specific questions and give me specific answers.

1) Can I purchase the program using my email and credit card and then install it on my son’s phone, or does he have to purchase it using his email and credit card?

2) If it is on his phone and I change the phone number for that phone, will the program still work?

pren

Quote from BJL on October 23, 2014
But will there be a problem if the phone number for the phone is changed?

I hope there is someone who can address my specific questions and give me specific answers.

1) Can I purchase the program using my email and credit card and then install it on my son’s phone, or does he have to purchase it using his email and credit card?

2) If it is on his phone and I change the phone number for that phone, will the program still work?

1. Yes, you can
2. As long as the phone still the same, program still work, unless you change the phone, you have to install the new one

GaryDoug

OMG! it’s only a measly five bucks! I first installed Torque Pro on a used Android phone that I got at a yard sale. While I have owned it (maybe 3 years on this one), it has never had a phone number or a phone plan of any type. I installed it using the WIFI capability, then never again turned on the wifi. It still works today! Hand your son the 5 bucks and tell him to do it.

Electrical test engineer

BJL

Obviously, the people on this forum are different from the helpful people I’ve encountered on other forums. Everyone here seems to be too wrapped up in themselves to answer simple questions. If you don’t know the answer, don’t bother to advertise your ignorance by spouting garbage on a forum. My questions have nothing to do with the five dollars; they were my attempt to understand the process of how this is all handled. Pardon me for wanting to understand something. What do you think you are proving with your posts? I guess I’ll have to find another source of information where people actually care about more than just trying to prove they are better than everyone else.

Sorry Pren, I missed your post. Thank you for answering my questions.

GaryDoug

“But will there be a problem if the phone number for the phone is changed?”

How much more clear can this be? I have NEVER had a phone number on that phone! Now do you get it?? NOOOOOO!

Electrical test engineer

piemmm
Administrator
on: October 24, 2014 (GMT)

Hi!

Torque is registered to the /google/ account that bought it – this means that you’ll need to be logged into google play for googles servers to recognised that you own the app

You can use multiple android devices with the same google account (I use several here, phones and tablets all logged into my google account) and it’s normal to share apps between phones on the same account (pretty much expected as this lets you do things like upgrade your phone and take all your apps with you)

Nothing is tied to the phone number or the device itself, so you can happily switch providers, phone numbers, and phones, and keep your apps (not just Torque, but any app you have purchased). All you need to do is sign into the google account that you used to purchase your apps (they will usually then become available to you to re-download in Google Play)

BJL
on: October 25, 2014 (GMT)

Thank you for the information, but I do have one question. You say you can have multiple devices on one account, but can you have multiple accounts on one device? If so, how would I attach my Google account to his Android without replacing his account?

piemmm
Administrator
on: October 26, 2014 (GMT)

Hi!

I’m not sure – last time I checked that you had to switch accounts manually, so yes, you can have multiple accounts, but not at the same time (you’ll need to switch from one to the other, and that will likely mean that some of your paid apps may stop working until you switch back to the google play account that purchased them)

I’m not sure that’s changed recently

BJL
on: October 26, 2014 (GMT)

Thanks for the information. We’ve decided to install Torque Pro on my son’s account, and I’ll just buy it again when I inherit the phone. The OBDLink LX connects well to both his ’01 Accord and my ’97 Tacoma. I’ll just check it on occasion and see if any problems show up. So far, all appears to be fine. I’ll have to learn whether this shows when a part starts to go out (ie O2 sensors or catalytic converter) or if it just tells me it no longer works. I wonder if there are any tests I should run before my next smog check. Thanks for the help.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.043 seconds.

Follow me on twitter