Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Can Torque read transmission error codes?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Torque read transmission error codes?
autojack
Post Can Torque read transmission error codes?
on: September 16, 2014 (GMT)

I have a 2003 Honda Element, and the D/Drive light on the transmission gear indicator has been flashing intermittently for the last week or so. I know from reading the Helm manual that this means the ECU has detected a problem with the transmission. I decided to buy an OBDII scan tool and try using Torque to find out what the error code is. I bought the BAFX scan tool on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I don’t have any problem pairing my phone with the adapter, and it is able to connect to the ECU, but when I try to display stored trouble codes (with the ignition turned to II) it doesn’t find any. This was even the case when the D was actively flashing at one point. Is this an app problem, or an adapter problem, or something else? The Helm manual indicates that you would connect a Honda diagnostic tool to the OBDII port to get this code, so there isn’t a transmission-specific interface I need to use. Just wondering what else I could try. Thanks!

Acrobatis7
Post Re: Can Torque read transmission error codes?
on: September 17, 2014 (GMT)

I will say this through my experience.
I previously owned a 2012 Seat Bocanegra and I know for a fact the there is a totaly seperate ECU for autamated transmission.
For a 1 minute googling i figured that it does (for your car), since there are seperate wiring (and totaly different than the one OBD uses) to upgrade the transmission. So there must be 2 ECUs for Engine and transmission.
Make sure by asking someone in your dealership or maybe looking in the manual.

GaryDoug

On a 2003 Honda Element, there is NO separate controller for the transmission. The engine PCM also controls the automatic transmission. FYI, your car uses the K-line protocol.

It could be that the transmission codes for that year did not follow the OBD2 standards, but are brand specific. That would not be unusual.

Electrical test engineer

autojack

Yes, according to this list (http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/dtc_list.htm) the transmission codes are P1xxx. If I understand right, Torque (and probably other Android apps) generally can only read the P0xxx codes which are all the same across OBDII implementations. And some people have added plugins for Torque that can read manufacturer-specific codes for certain brands, but not Honda. And it sounds like you effectively need some proprietary information to be able to add that type of support. Bummer.

GaryDoug

You just beat me posting that link by a few minutes;-)
OBD2 standard codes include many in the P07xx range, but the P1xxx codes are Honda propitiatory.

Electrical test engineer

autojack
on: September 18, 2014 (GMT)

So I’m a software engineer with some DIY electronics know-how and a Honda. Is there anything I can do to reverse-engineer access to the P1xxx codes?

From reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs if I am interpreting it correctly, to simply return the DTC the tool just has to set mode 03 and decode the response. The response would only be a numeric ID that might have to be looked up in a manufacturer-specific table, but I *have* that in the factory repair manual for my Element (as well as the link I mentioned in the previous post).

Is is possible that Torque is just discarding additional codes in the response if it doesn’t recognize them?

Capp777
on: September 18, 2014 (GMT)

Torque uses mode 03 commands to return
generic and legislated emissions related
DTCs. (Mode 04 to reset them).

Its up to the OEM as to which other DTCs
will be supported by mode 03 commands.

Usually OEM Extended DTCs (e.g. P1xxx) are
retrieved using special commands which are
considered proprietary.

Torque does have a send command display for
sending elm OBDII commands.

GaryDoug
on: September 19, 2014 (GMT)

Like Capp stated, mode 03 is only for the limited OBD2 mandated scope, actually modes 00 through 0f for Functional mode addressing. You would need to find the documents that specify how the Honda handles the extended DTC’s, and possibly Physical addressing. For US cars, there is a document by the SAE, J2190 that “recommends” a system for accessing the extended data. I know that GM uses much, but not all of that specification. But I have no idea about the Honda. Perhaps there is an ISO or DIN document of similar scope.

Electrical test engineer

autojack
on: September 21, 2014 (GMT)

Turns out CA state law prevents auto parts stores from pulling DTCs for you. That’s annoying.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.032 seconds.

Follow me on twitter