Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Ford 6.7 Diesel PIDs

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Author Topic: Ford 6.7 Diesel PIDs
MPD56
Post Re: Ford 6.7 Diesel PIDs
on: May 29, 2014 (GMT)

Quote from JimBau on May 29, 2014
Finally had a chance to give them a try. All worked perfectly with the exception of the Engine Coolant Temperature. Not sure what is missing on mine. Here is a screen shot if I can make it work. It didn’t show up, but the PID is 0105

Reply from MPD56
Not sure what you’re missing? I don’t think the “°” at the end of the Short Name would cause it, but try removing it. Also make sure you don’t have a SPACE in front or back of the 0105? Also when you picked a sensor to add, make sure that it wasn’t the “ Coolant temperature(From TCM) “ This is for another year of Ford and won’t work, that’s why I made my short name ECT and put a 6.7L in the Long name my custom PID.

Also if you do a test for me, you should get a response 7E9034105XX, were the XX is the Hex value of “A”.

Capp777

Quote from Capp777 on May 27, 2014
MPD56:

Your TFT header in the list above should
be 7E1.

Edit:

JIM:

There is a standard “Engine Coolant Temperature”
display which uses 0105… but if you created a
custom pid for 0105 you may need 7DF as the
header.

End Quote.

7E9 is the response to header 7E1.

MPD56

Thanks Capp777

I have the header space blank in my 0105 custom PID. I just retested it and I get the response 7E903410533 which also matched my truck’s and Torque’s readout of 51.8 degrees for my EOT. The truck’s engine hasn’t been running for 10 hours so I assume that they should be the same. I think I understand why 7E9 should be a response header of 7E1 (because it is 8 more)

On another note: Do you know what I put in the equation space for a ON/OFF display? I’m trying to make a Regen status display. I Get the same test response when not it Regen and haven’t had the chance to get a response when my truck is Regen because the truck has to be at highway speed and for some reason my wife won’t let me play with the screen when I’m driving at 70mph.

For PID 22f48b
Response: 7E8100A62F48B4302FF (there is another line of numbers after these, but don’t have them with me right now)

Capp777

Quote from MPD56 on May 29, 2014
Thanks Capp777

I have the header space blank in my 0105 custom PID. I just retested it and I get the response 7E903410533 which also matched my truck’s and Torque’s readout of 51.8 degrees for my EOT. The truck’s engine hasn’t been running for 10 hours so I assume that they should be the same. I think I understand why 7E9 should be a response header of 7E1 (because it is 8 more)

On another note: Do you know what I put in the equation space for a ON/OFF display? I’m trying to make a Regen status display. I Get the same test response when not it Regen and haven’t had the chance to get a response when my truck is Regen because the truck has to be at highway speed and for some reason my wife won’t let me play with the screen when I’m driving at 70mph.

For PID 22f48b
Response: 7E8100A62F48B4302FF (there is another line of numbers after these, but don’t have them with me right now)

End Quote.

Without knowing which specific bit is correct and
based upon your response is not-in-regen…

I would try bit zeros first by making test displays
with equations

{A:0} – but this byte has this bit set (0x43) so not likely correct.
{B:0} – this byte is (0x02) with bit zero off. Maybe?
{C:0} – but this byte has this bit set (0xFF) so not likely correct.

and so on. If bit zero doesnt work out then try
looking at the other bits the same way.

Adding these test pids to your data logging is the
safest way to catch them in Regen.

MPD56

Capp777

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you

Jim
on: June 2, 2014 (GMT)

Finally got time to try the new header value, and it work perfectly. I ran a test and got the below return.

MPD56
on: June 2, 2014 (GMT)

Quote from JimBau on June 2, 2014
Finally got time to try the new header value, and it work perfectly. I ran a test and got the below return.

MPD56 REPLY:
Thanks for posting your results, for some reason I didn’t have to enter a Header?

FYI:

Response: 410581………81 HEX = A DEC……..A= 129 DEC

((A*(9/5))-40 = (129*(9/5))-40 = 192.2 °F

MPD56
on: June 3, 2014 (GMT)

Quote from Capp777 on May 29, 2014
Quote from MPD56 on May 29, 2014
Thanks Capp777

For PID 22f48b

End Quote.

Without knowing which specific bit is correct and
based upon your response is not-in-regen…

I would try bit zeros first by making test displays
with equations

{A:0} – but this byte has this bit set (0x43) so not likely correct.
{B:0} – this byte is (0x02) with bit zero off. Maybe?
{C:0} – but this byte has this bit set (0xFF) so not likely correct.

and so on. If bit zero doesnt work out then try
looking at the other bits the same way.

Adding these test pids to your data logging is the
safest way to catch them in Regen.

MPD56 Reply:

Thanks Again Capp777: You nailed it, it seems that {B:0} is working. Torque showed that my truck started an Active Regen and a few seconds later my truck showed the message on the dash, I could also see that the temperature display for EGT12 went over 1150 degrees and alarmed. Also I manually stopped the Regen and the light went out. I will have to wait for the another Regen to comfirm.

Trash Hauler
on: June 3, 2014 (GMT)

Capp777 and MPD56 and everyone else who has contributed,

Thank you for your hard work and time, it is much appreciated.

A “Regen in progress” indication would be nice, but currently, I find more utility in a “Regen is about to occur” indication. I use EGT 12 for showing an active regen and while the soot level (DPF pressure) works for “about to occur”, I wanted something easier to read.

I’ve taken your DPF soot formula and converted it to a percentage. My reasoning is that I want to know when the truck is about to enter an active regen cycle so I can plan my drive to accordingly. I do more short distance than I’d like to so when the soot level gets close, I will take the scenic tour to allow the regen cycle to complete. Moreover, I set a flag so the display flashes when it hits 95% because that puts me in the window to expect a regen at any time.

22042c
DPF Soot Level Percentage 6.7L PSD
DPF %
x1
Percent
((((A*256)+B)*(100/65535))-1)/1.75*100

The assumptions I’ve made:
1) minimum soot level is 1.0 (during a passive regen while towing, I got down to 0.85 so I got a negative percentage)
2) maximum soot level is 2.75 (2.67 seems to be a common number but I was seeing 2.75 over the winter before a regen would start–simple fix in the equation, change 1.75 to 1.67 if you want to use 2.67 as max soot level)

Methodology:
By subtracting 1 from your formula, it normalizes so that minimum soot becomes zero and max soot becomes 1.75. Then dividing by 1.75 and multiplying by 100 converts to a percentage.

It’s not a perfect solution but it works well for my purposes.

Thanks again for providing the info.

Bob

MPD56
on: June 4, 2014 (GMT)

Trash Hauler: Thanks for your input, I for sure can always use help.

I have the Soot % displayed in % and digital form with both equations. I find that my truck will go into Active Regen 500 miles since my last completed Regen (DIA) when my display reaches 2.0 and it doesn’t matter about the mileage if it reaches 2.7, my truck will now display the “Drive to Clean”. Which the PCM really wants me to complete a Regen.

This morning I had 2.8 when I started my truck (I shut it down in Regen last night), when the engine temperature reach operating temperature my Regen Status display turned green and a few seconds later the message came up on my dash display, but I also got a wrench. I drove at highway speed for 10 miles and the Soot reached 3.3 and went back down to 1.7 and the status light when out but continued to go down to 1.3 till I parked the truck. I restarted the truck and the wrench light and Regen Status Light are out and the DIA is 3 miles and the Soot is 1.6. Also the truck stayed in Regen when I slowed down on an off ramp even when EGT12 went below 1150 degrees.

So my thoughts are that an Active Regen might start a 2 but for sure at 2.7. So if my DIA is near 500 then I won’t have to have a forced Active Regen.

FYI:

PID – 22F48B
Long Name (used in menus) – Regen Status 6.7L
Short Name (used in gauge display) – Regen
Min Value – 0.0
Max Value – 100
Scale Factor – x1
Unit Type – On/Off
Equation – {B:0}
OBD Header –

Comment:
PCM Hex Response when not in Regen – 7E8100A62F48B4302FF
PCM Hex Response when in Regen – 7E8100A62F48B4303FF

Capp777
on: June 4, 2014 (GMT)

Wrench light at 1.5 x calculated soot threshold. DTC set.
MIL on at 2.0 x calculated soot threshold. DTC set.

If my understanding is correct your calculated
soot load thresholds may increase with age as
the filter collects residue which is
not burnt away.

Your percent equation is similar to
the second percent equation given
on page 10 which uses the 1.16 – 2.67
thresholds.

I believe the calculated thresholds will be unique
for each vehicle based upon the delta p across its
filter. Trying to hit a moving window bound by the
2.67 hard limit.

I think your trucks will regen more frequently
during the summer than winter which may
affect the thresholds as well.

I suspect that regening while under load will
also yield a deeper clean than without a load.

The great thing about Torque… you can make
the equation into whatever works best for you :-)

Trash Hauler
on: June 5, 2014 (GMT)

500 miles between regens, I wish. Running empty, non-stop at highway speed, I get 100 to 125 miles between active regens. Around town I’m lucky to get 50 miles and usually about 35 miles between active regens.

I’ve only towed with it a couple times. One time it hit an active regen just as I started towing. Between the active then the passive, the soot level dropped to 0.85. I towed for about 300 miles after that and did not get another regen. Levels remained about 1.5. Within 50 miles of not towing, I was back in active regen with levels at 2.7.

During a non-towing active regen, the lowest soot level I’ve seen is 1.3 and 1.4 to 1.5 is more common. Mid July I will tow for 3000 plus miles so we will see how it does then. I’m also looking at changing to a different fuel additive in an attempt to lower the active regen frequency. I’ve heard good things about the TDR-S FL (http://www.amalgamatedinc.com/tdr-s.aspx) additive. Its pretty spendy so I haven’t committed to trying it yet.

I won’t be driving the truck much for the next couple weeks but let me know what I can do to help / gather data and I’ll see what I can do.

Bob

MPD56

Thanks for the information. I owned a 6.4L. The reason I wanted to know more about the Regen Status is that through the winter I was using my 6.7L as a daily driver which really wasn’t getting the engine up to operating temperature. Also I find if the soot value is high the MPG is low. I always use Ford’s Additives

The last few weeks I have been monitoring DIA and Soot values. I’m not an expert but the more data I get; it leads me to what going on with the DPF and how it tries to keep the soot level down.

I read Ford DPF documentation on the 6.4L and the 6.7L, sadly I didn’t think at the time I would own a 6.7L so I guess I deleted it. (Going to try and find the link again). I’ll post another link that has some information below.

From my old memory, the 6.7L watches the soot and DIA. What I see so far from my truck seems to follow it. What I think is happening to you, is your truck is struck between if it should perform an Active or Passive Regen. My truck just went through this. I think I was interrupting an Active Regen and when my soot reached 2.7 it went into a force Regen (Drive to….!!) I manually stopped it to see what would happen (My new Regen Status Light would go out LOL) and the next time a wrench light came up on my dash when I started my engine. If my Soot is near 2 and my DIA is close to 500 miles my truck will go into Active Regen, if I don’t complete it, my truck will subtract 150 miles (sometimes less) from the DIA, during that attempted active regen the truck reduces the Soot also, it depends how low the value goes down below 2 to when another Active Regen will start. So I assume that your soot value is close to 2 and your DIA is around 350 miles? Your EGT temperatures have to be close to 600 degrees to produce a passive regen.

When I got the wrench I talk to a Ford Diesel Tech and he said that I didn’t complete a force active regen multiple times and if I complete an Active Regen and the wrench doesn’t go out that I should bring my truck it. I went out and completed the Active Regen and I don’t have a wrench. My DIA went to 0 miles and my soot went to 1.3 when the Regen Status Light went out and lower because I continued to drive.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/DOBDSM1301.pdf

Hope this makes some sense!! Thanks again for the input.

Capp777

MPD56:

Just curious… have you looked at 22FD8A again
to see if it matches your current ~500 averaged
distance?

If I remember correctly there was a lot of data
returned by that pid. Maybe the ~1.85 calculated
threshold is in the response as well.

MPD56
on: June 6, 2014 (GMT)

Quote from Capp777 on June 5, 2014
MPD56:

Just curious… have you looked at 22FD8A again
to see if it matches your current ~500 averaged
distance?

If I remember correctly there was a lot of data
returned by that pid. Maybe the ~1.85 calculated
threshold is in the response as well.

MPD56 Reply:

I watch 220434 (My Display Name DIA) and have the Soot display on the same screen. When the DIA starts to reach 500 miles it seems that there are other parameters that start an Active Regen. The last couple of times I was pulling my 12K trailer and I think that it was in passive regen, DIA seemed to count down, but it only changes the display value on restart, not in real time, so I’m guessing. I‘ve never seen DIA go above 500 miles. That’s why I’m glad to have the Regen Status. I believe that when the soot reaches 2 it would go into Active Regen no matter what and if Soot reaches 2.7 it forces me to drive the truck till a Regen is complete. Because I shut off the engine while in Active Regen and then restarted it hours later soot was at 3.3 by the time my truck was at operating temperature, I got the wrench and a Forced drive to clean the DPF, at that time the DIA reset to zero and the wrench went away. In a few weeks I’m going on a 1000 mile trip and should have a better understanding. To have a Regen the EGTs have to be over 550 degrees and speed has to be over what is normal city driving limit are, among other things I’m sure.

Capp777

There were two pids reporting
in miles DIS and DIA. I thought you
were actively using 220434 for monitoring
your distance. Maybe I am getting confused.

MPD56

Quote from Capp777 on June 6, 2014
There were two pids reporting
in miles DIS and DIA. I thought you
were actively using 220434 for monitoring
your distance. Maybe I am getting confused.

MPD56 Reply:

Your right! PID 220434 I use for DIA. I couldn’t get the other to work. Thanks for catching that, I sure don’t need to confuse things. I’d Edit my above post. When I get a chance maybe the other work on the other PID, it might work in real time.

Capp777

If it is an averaged distance it wouldnt have
changed by much… thats why I was curious.

In addition,

If you are not getting a FRP from pid 0123
dont forget to try 220023.

Edit:

Or possibly 22F423.

MPD56

Quote from Capp777 on June 6, 2014

If it is an averaged distance it wouldnt have
changed by much… thats why I was curious.

In addition,

If you are not getting a FRP from pid 0123
dont forget to try 220023.

MPD56 Reply:

I read your post again and I’m not sure I answered your question. I believe that the DIA distance (Miles) is real time and not an average. If I complete an Active Regen and continue to drive 10 miles and shut off the engine, when I restart the engine the DIA will show 10 miles, this I have tested and confirmed a few times. I believe that since the DIA only updates when I restart the engine it doesn’t give me a way to know why the PCM subtracts mileage from the DIA when approaching the 500 mile mark in real time. I only know that because of short trips that wouldn’t have all the permissive to complete a Passive or Active Regen I shut off the truck and start it right up and miles have been subtracted. It is my guess that I see the soot value decrease and the PCM program would rather try to reduce soot by passive then by an Active Regen. I know I would, an Active Regen uses fuel and raise exhaust temperatures over 1150 degrees, that can’t be good for the truck? I believe that most owners’s that have a frequent Active Regens is that the PCM caught on the fence. This is were the soot value is just below 2 and DIA is just below 500, I believe that the PCM subtracts miles and the PCM hopes the soot value decreases by a Passive Regen.

This is why I would like to know information about the DPF, I have been caught on the fence with city driving where I know that the engine’s conditions were not able to decrease soot and not only do I get poor MPG, I finally got a Wrench light and a Forced Active Regen. (Of course this was self inflicted by me, but I had to know and Ford sure not going to tell). I believe that now I can change my driving habits to keep the soot value down. I find with my soot value high, my mpg is poor. Commercial trucks notify you to manually start a controlled Active Regen before a Forced Regen; I can tell you this is why my personal diesel has automatic regen. Not to rant, but this is why people buy programmers and delete emissions.

Sorry about the length.

Capp777

My question concerns 22FD8A in miles. I
understand that 220434 only updates at
key-on and follows your odometer.

I was curious if 22FD8A was returning the
just before regen average that 150 miles is
being subtracted. (~500 you have been
describing).

The short name of DIA and DIS are confusing