Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Ford 7.3 diesel

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ford 7.3 diesel
rmgrem
Post Ford 7.3 diesel
on: March 2, 2011 (GMT)

I’m using a PLX WIKI and paid version of Torque. I can get connected fine but when I go to the ‘Realtime Information” or “Check Fault Codes” it causes an engine stall.
The key must be turned completely off for it to restart. Additionally, after I restart the engine it works OK until I try to add a display and it again stalls the engine. I’ve not driven on the road for fear of a stall. Coolant data is no where near correct, it always says ‘-40’; I can’t get a reading on ‘Fuel Level’. Do you have a list of PIDs that are included with the latest version (I just bought it today, 3.1.2011, from the Marketplace) that are known to NOT work with a Ford 7.3?

Do you know why it is causing engine stalls?

I like the program and concept but cannot justify keeping it if I cannot use it on the road.

Thanks in advance – rickg

radmacks
Post Re: Ford 7.3 diesel
on: March 7, 2011 (GMT)

I had this problem as well, I think it had to do with a sensor I was trying to read. I set it back to some basic stuff that I knew worked and never had a problem after that. Coolant will never work as it does not connect to the ecu (or so i have been told).

Could someone please post working PID’s for the 7.3 like engine oil temp and tranny temp? I have tried some of what has been posted with no sucess. I’m using paid version.

radmacks
on: March 11, 2011 (GMT)

Bump, has anyone got any temps working for ford 7.3 ?

Sunmark
on: July 24, 2011 (GMT)

Quote from rmgrem on March 2, 2011
I’m using a PLX WIKI and paid version of Torque. I can get connected fine but when I go to the ‘Realtime Information” or “Check Fault Codes” it causes an engine stall.
The key must be turned completely off for it to restart. Additionally, after I restart the engine it works OK until I try to add a display and it again stalls the engine. I’ve not driven on the road for fear of a stall. Coolant data is no where near correct, it always says ‘-40’; I can’t get a reading on ‘Fuel Level’. Do you have a list of PIDs that are included with the latest version (I just bought it today, 3.1.2011, from the Marketplace) that are known to NOT work with a Ford 7.3?

Do you know why it is causing engine stalls?

I like the program and concept but cannot justify keeping it if I cannot use it on the road.

Thanks in advance – rickg

Exact same thing happened to me this morning. Also using PLX WIKI. My Truck is a 2001 F250 SD, Crew Cab, 2 WD, 7.3L Diesel. Mostly stock with exception of a Striker II chip and 3 Isspro gauges. I took Ian’s advice from another thread and did the 15 minute app test. Everything works fine with the exception of the “real time” and the “fault codes”. Stalls the truck. Ignition off, back on, start, no problem.

Help please =) Awesome app. Hope it works for our trucks.

piemmm
Administrator

Your trucks may be OBD1 and not OBD2 compliant,…

Quite a few diesels were not fully OBD2 compliant until 2004 (where it was required due to EPA legislation), so you’ll need to first check that the white sticker in the engine bay says ‘OBDII Certified’ or ‘OBD2 Certified’ and not ‘OBDI Certified’

That said, the app can’t cause the truck to stall out – this appears to be an incompatibility with one of the commands the app is asking the adapter to send which is causing the ECU to reset (and cut the engine). More specifically it sounds like the ECU does not like one of the display requests the app is asking for (these are all standard requests as documented on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs )

I suspect at the moment that your trucks are either OBD1 compliant, or they have a bug in the ECU which causes one of the sensor requests to crash/reset it (causing the engine stall). It’s going to be a case of trying to work out which sensor is causing the issue. (some nissan and subarus have similar issues, though they don’t stall the engine)

If someone wants to try the app with no displays on the main screen, go through to ‘add’ a display, then use the ‘send debugging info’ option as soon as the engine stalls, then I can try to see what’s going on and which sensor is causing the issue so it can be avoided

EDIT: this appears to be something symptomatic to that paticular model of engine/ecu with other OBD programs as well – so you may have a bugged ECU:
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f27/engine-7-3-hiccups-stalls-when-obd2-interface-connected-254028/

It might be worth asking a dealer if there is an ECU software/firmware update available for your vehicles

Ian

Sunmark

Wow! Thanks for the fast reply Ian. *dont see that very often anymore*

Got some homework to do. Will update with what I find soon.

Thanks again =)

dusfou
on: May 6, 2012 (GMT)

any updates on this? I just got the free app and added some gauges then while driving it stalled it out.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

This is a known bug in the ECU of some older Fords built during an 8 month window. Unfortunately dealers have been contacted to try to rectify the problem with the ECU but none(Ford) have been willing to help

There was another thread with more information where an F150 user had this issue and he tried to get a firmware update for the ECU to rectify the issue without success. Unfortunately it’s not an app issue, but an issue with a problem in the ECU itself

DOC4444

2001 Ford Excursion PSD. I have seen the same problem with stalling noted above. I have also had a problem when running Torque on my Droid X with ELM 327 when receiving a phone call. (Engine stops running. Pulling ELM out of the OBD port allows it to be restarted.)

Also, I see the same -40 coolant temp that does not change. However, boost and trans temp seem to work well. I recall reading that the coolant temp signal to the temp gauge on the dash is not a graduated signal, so that may be the issue.

Love to find someone who will take $$$ to develop extended PIDs for my 2005 Jeep KJ CRD.

Any takers? (Contact me via email in my profile. Post here if that does not work and I will contact you.)

DOC

jimiii
on: July 10, 2012 (GMT)

A few things I do to reduce the risk of a stall:

1. Always make sure the OBD header is set to “Auto” when adding a custom PID. If it is blank the engine will stall every time.

2. Only add or display gauges that your ECU supports. For example, I had a fuel level gauge on a screen without a stall but when I added a few gauges for CAM data and an ICP Commanded PID the engine stalled. The reason the engine stalls when adding a gauge is because the app goes to a screen that displays a bunch of default PIDs some of which are not supported by the 7.3L.

It would be great to have an option to remove all the default PIDs the app comes with. We could then add only the PIDs our ECUs support.

piemmm
Administrator
on: July 10, 2012 (GMT)

I’ll see if I can add a setting in the vehicle profile in a later version to help you guys out – I can’t guarantee that I’ll be able to catch all the causes (due to the nature of the fault in the ECU). It’ll be called something like ‘Only use advertised sensors’ (ish)

Lookout for it in the changelog – it may be in a couple of updates time as I need to spend some time adding some new protocol updates for manufacturers proprietary protocols

dvegaman
Post Ford 7.3 diesel
on: September 6, 2012 (GMT)

The transmission Temp. PID seems to be causing my engine to stall about thirty seconds after added. It does give readings, but kills the engine.

cferguson77
on: June 3, 2013 (GMT)

I know this thread is a bit old, but have the issues with the ford diesels been worked out? I’d really like to use this app. I have a 2002 Ford F350 with a 7.3ltr. If anyone has had any success with it in a similar vehicle let me know. Thanks

mcgyver42
on: June 5, 2013 (GMT)

Just got Torque Pro and a BAFX Products PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool for my 2001 Ford F250 and Motorola Xoom Android tablet. Still trying to figure out how to configure everything, but I downloaded all the Ford PIDs and have just a few gauges up. Rolling down the freeway in the left lane, I get the bright idea to press “Adapter Status” on the initial screen, and boom, the truck shuts off. Shifted into neutral, but it won’t restart, so I coast across 5 or 6 lanes to the side of the freeway. Checked all the fuses, scratched my head, got back in, and it fired right up.

Since then, I’ve verified that selecting “Adapter Status” will shut the engine off every time. :-/

I may try to collect debug info, and see if anything can be learned. I am kind of disappointed that coolant temperature data isn’t collected. Maybe the thing to do would be to swap out the truck’s ECU for one that isn’t so buggy.

mcgyver42
on: June 6, 2013 (GMT)

Quote from admin on July 24, 2011
…so you’ll need to first check that the white sticker in the engine bay says ‘OBDII Certified’ or ‘OBD2 Certified’ and not ‘OBDI Certified’

If someone wants to try the app with no displays on the main screen, go through to ‘add’ a display, then use the ‘send debugging info’ option as soon as the engine stalls, then I can try to see what’s going on and which sensor is causing the issue so it can be avoided

Ian

Didn’t find a sticker in the engine bay that said anything about OBDI, OBDII or OBD2. I’ll research this and look harder.

How do I ‘send debugging info’? I don’t see that in the app.

Thanks!

m j
on: December 30, 2013 (GMT)

turn off the ‘auto scan for fault codes’
with it on it resets the PCM, with it set to off you will have no issues.

dalesgarage_2250
on: March 8, 2014 (GMT)

How do you turn off the “auto scan for fault codes” I am not seeing this in the torque pro app on my Samsung Galaxy s4 with latest app

Capp777
on: March 8, 2014 (GMT)

From Main Screen…

Menu>Settings>Speech&Alarm Settings.

Periodically Scan for Faults toggle.

Note:

See…

Menu>Settings>Special Options

for an additional option for Ford ECUs.

Related thread…

http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=3903.0